Menu

Grammar for 1 year

Guest aless

Hi. I've been reading through the forum the last few days, getting answers to all my queries. But now I think it's best to ask you all to get suggestions for my specific situation.

We are not home schoolers. We have two boys, about to turn 8 and 10, both in a Montessori school. A couple of months ago my wife and I made the crazy/spontaneous decision to take the kids out of school, rent an RV, and drive around Europe for 10 months, "road schooling" the kids as we go. My question relates to grammar. I have narrowed our choice down to GWG, EG or JAG. I think I'm leaning towards GWG, but what we specifically need is the best program to use for just one year of home schooling. After our trip they will go back to school. So, is there a program which is best for just jumping in for one year only? Also, GWG and EG have specific books for each grade or level. But if JAG were to be used would this be appropriate for both the boys, two years apart in age?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

What ever grammar you pick I think you would be fine with the same level, they can share :D

There isn't that much new grammar and mechanics to learn in 3rd or 4th or 5th, if they have basic puntucation and parts of speech down, grammar programs are really more about keeping those fresh in thier minds. They aren't going to be going into cases or other upper level grammar ideas yet.

Find one that you'd all like to do and do it together. Or pick some kind of scope and sequence and teach it through thier writing. Or decide that they are going to be doing so much learning this year that grammar isn't going to be top on your list of ways to spend your time (we only do it every other year as a formal corse). Or just do Mad Libs!

What I am trying to say is- I don't think you can mess this up. Do what makes the most sense for your plans and your family, if they've forgotten what a linking verb is they'll go over it again next year, and the year after that, and the year after that.

Edited by Mallory

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

If they will be going back to the same school, might you consider continuing what their peers are doing back home?

Oh, and try to get to Alta Mira or other cave painting site. I saw it as a young child and it really has stuck with me.:)

If they will be going back to the same school, might you consider continuing what their peers are doing back home?

I was coming back to post something like this.

I think if it were our family it would either be a very relaxed academic year or else we would mostly be using the same text as the school back home. I know in some states/districts it isn't a big deal at all to get texts as a homeschooler.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll be renting a double decker bus to follow us so we can take all the people who have wanted to join us :001_smile:

The school is a Montessori school so they don't really work with regular textbooks. I'm meeting with the teacher tomorrow to get her thoughts, but I thought we might bring along something just to top up their grammar and keep them in practice I suppose. Though when I first talked to her about this trip she was saying she didn't think we'd have to do that much. English and Math being the main ones that needed to be kept up with. We will be keeping a daily blog of our travels and we're thinking having the boys write something each day will serve to keep their writing up.

But I wonder if something like Daily Language Review or Daily Paragraph Editing from Evan Moor might be a good fit. (If you don't take mine and the teacher's advice not to worry about grammar ;)).

I would encourage you too really decide what your goals and plans are for this trip before buying too much curriculum. For our family having a time to remember would be top of the list and feeling compulsion to get a grammar program done wouldn't fit in. :tongue_smilie: And if I bought it I would feel we had to try to get it done. I also can see daily writing being a really negative part of our trip if my boys were forced to fill to do it. Creating a family scrapbook/journal or making a big deal about my own journal and special pens would work much better for us. Or writing letters back home.

They are still very young, they aren't going to be left behind because they spent a year traveling, even if they never open a text book in any subject.

Edited by Mallory