Menu

Changing my mind on history again... Biblioplan + SOTW

boscopup

Since I started researching, I've changed my mind on history a gazillion times. I was really firmly in the TOG camp the last month, but then the last couple days a few things made me rethink it:

1) I'm going through the 4-year cycle 4 times. Am *I* going to get bored with TOG? I am a person that likes to change things up now and then, so I can't say I'll want to stick with any one curriculum for 16 years.

2) I really want to use TOG for the logic and rhetoric stages, so if #1 happens, TOG would be a waste.

3) My oldest will be in 2nd grade next year when I start homeschooling. Something even better might come out before he hits the logic and rhetoric stages.

4) Only having one in school, who knows what the following kids will be like. TOG may not fit the younger two.

5) With TOG, it is seeming like history would be taking over our homeschool. My DH and I are engineer/computer science people, so math and science are big for us. So far, my oldest is a lot like us - very math and science oriented (though I think he will also enjoy history and literature).

So then I get back to the idea of just going with SOTW and calling it a day; however, I would like Biblical intregration in year 1, as my DS is interested in learning how the Biblical history he knows fits into the history of the world. I'm interested too, as I have learned a little bit of that through my Bible studies, but not to the extent that I will get to learn it in a history program. So that lead me to Biblioplan, and I think it'd be a good fit for my family for this first cycle through (and next cycle we might go to TOG or something else if we want).

I was thinking of getting SOTW + AG. If I get the AG, do I need the other stuff with Biblioplan that comes in Bundle 1 ($63 ebook)? Or should I just get the plan itself ($25 ebook). The extra $40 is not a big deal, as we're coming from private school with a $5k/year tuition (which we already had budgeted for next year). I just don't want to be wasting $40 if I don't need anything in the extra bundle. The parent companion might be useful for me though. The maps look good, but AG also has maps. I don't know how many weeks will be SOTW-less, so I might need maps for that or just skip maps those weeks? DS likes maps (he can spend an hour on Google Maps satellite view, following nearby rivers, finding Hawaii, etc.).

Edited by boscopup

Back when I first had Biblioplan it didn't have all the extras. If you have the SOTW AG you could probably skip the coloring books and craft projects. I would prefer what Biblioplan is offering for maps over SOTW AG. I think the maps look more professional and I have been happy with their products in the past. I've never seen the parent guide so I can't advise. Cool history looks fun but I haven't actually seen it in person.

Do remember that Biblioplan uses biblio to me book not just Bible. Unless they have changed it-it wouldn't not be a Bible study after year one.

Do remember that Biblioplan uses biblio to me book not just Bible. Unless they have changed it-it wouldn't not be a Bible study after year one.

Thanks! I might get the bundle 1 then (doesn't have the coloring pages and craft thing).

It's fine that there is no Bible after the historical point when the Bible finishes. We'll be studying Bible separately. I just wanted the Biblical history to be intertwined with ancient history to see where things fit.

Another thought would be to use MOH. We really enjoyed the first year, but year 2 got to be too much for my younger ones (5 and 4 at the time) so we switched to SOTW. I thought volume one of MOH was excellent though in providing Biblical history within the context of world history!

I had thought about MOH, but the sample looked like it might be over my currently first grader's head? I might get it anyway, as I'd like to have it on hand. Might as well have multiple spines to choose from! I know BP includes it as an option in their schedule.

I think you made the right decision about TOG. I tried 1 unit of it when my oldest was young and some parts were really great; but I felt it was just too much and like you I am thinking it may be better for middle and highschool. If I had a middle schooler and a bunch of younger kids I would consider it just to keep everyone together.

I would think the AG for STOW would still be helpful even with Biblioplan bundle, because it will add some literature suggestions and it may be nice to have an occasional activity and coloring page. I know for this young age those sorts of things can break up when things get a little boring. I think the AG resource can be a helpful resource to have on hand to use once in awhile, maybe not to follow it on an everyday basis.

This year I have a 3rd grader and we are using Sonlight with WTM. Next year I may consider using STOW with TruthQuest so I will have a lot more book suggestions to go with the spine. I also am looking at Map Trek for geography to go with it. We will probably also get the AG for whatever STOW we are doing. I really like to have resources available to mix things up a bit because going a whole school year doing the same thing doesn't work well here. Sometimes it helps to throw in a salt map or other project or extra library books.

Edited by Nancy Ann

That's a great point! Having multiple resources available to choose an activity or coloring page, etc. would be handy.

It's also a good idea to have extra book suggestions. My library is a small town library. So the selection is not that great. I'll probably get a library card for the next county over (will have to pay for it), but the main branch is 40 minutes away, and a dinky branch is around 25 minutes away. So I won't want to go to the library for every single week, but I will probably try to go once a month. I'll purchase some books that look like keepers.