Menu

MCT & WWE for Logic Stage?

PenKase

Could someone please help with my dilemma...

On hand I have MCT Island Level which we used last spring and summer with great success (most of the material was new to dd since she received very limited grammar in ps). This past week we began reviewing GI in preparation for continuing where we left off with MCT next month. I really love MCT, and it's right up dd's alley.

BUT

I've become increasingly intrigued by all the great posts/reviews/insights I've recently read about SWB's writing lectures. I look forward to listening to them as soon as my mp3 player arrives. Gleaning from what I've "heard" on these boards, I really, really, really want to incorporate WWE into our homeschool in conjuction with MCT.

Is this at all possible? Will the writing be too much for dd? I can see the great benefits to both programs and hope that using MCT & WWE will be doable. At the moment, I'm not sure where to place dd in WWE. I do have the textbook and plan to assess and decide on a level in the near future.

Since bringing dd10/5th grade home from ps three weeks ago, I've been putting in some serious time researching and planning for this year. Dd is a strong writer and excels in all things Language Arts. For her, I envision an LA/Lit/History homeschooling focus. I want to make sure her abilities/talents are developed from varied angles.

Thanks in advance...

Several here use WWE and MCT. I feel they work well together. They deal with very different skills. Your 5th grader won't need to start in WWE1 since you say she's a stronger writer. If you want to do WWE in context of your history/lit/science, then just purchase the WWE textbook which will last you all 4 years. Give her the end of year assessment for level 1 and if she passes, give her the assessment for year 2. If she passes that one, give her the assessment for year 3. WWE is scheduled 4 days per week and doesn't take a lot of time so you could easily also do MCT Island. There isn't a ton of writing in Island. It picks up more in Town level.

There are many here with more experience than I lol but at this point those are my thoughts. We used Island level last year w/ my 4th and 1st grader. My 4th grader did WWE3 and my 1st grader did WWE1/2. THis year, my 5th grader is finishing WWE3 in a week and moving into WWE4 and doing MCT Town level. My 2nd grader has about 10weeks of WWE2 before moving into WWE3 and is so far, holding his own w/ MCT Grammar Town. When my 5th grader gets into the nitty gritty of Paragraph Town, my 2nd grader will tag along but do writing assignments from Island level again and do formal letter writing etc from GWG etc.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

There are many here with more experience than I lol but at this point those are my thoughts. We used Island level last year w/ my 4th and 1st grader. My 4th grader did WWE3 and my 1st grader did WWE1/2. THis year, my 5th grader is finishing WWE3 in a week and moving into WWE4 and doing MCT Town level. My 2nd grader has about 10weeks of WWE2 before moving into WWE3 and is so far, holding his own w/ MCT Grammar Town. When my 5th grader gets into the nitty gritty of Paragraph Town, my 2nd grader will tag along but do writing assignments from Island level again and do formal letter writing etc from GWG etc.

This sounds exactly like how we'll use the combo. Thank you very much for the input! It seems like it wouldn't be overkill to do both WWE and MCT. Actually, one reason why I do want to add WWE IS because Island Level isn't writing intensive.

and I think levels 3 and 4 are plenty challenging enough for logic stage kids. My 7th and 6th graders are doing level 4, and those dictations are difficult. We don't use MCT but we use CLE and I don't think that WWE is too much becasue it is working on different skills, ie. training them to hold thoughts in their heads.