Menu

Do you think this is a reasonable fee for an Algebra 1 class...

...for a small group of homeschoolers (3-6 students)? The class will meet twice per week for 1.5 hours per session (total of 3 hours per week) beginning from November through June (61 sessions over 8 months).

Fees are $90 per month per student. Families with two or more students in the class would receive a 50% discount ($45 per month) for each additional student from the same family. Does this sound reasonable to you?

Thanks!

...for a small group of homeschoolers (3-6 students)? The class will meet twice per week for 1.5 hours per session (total of 3 hours per week) beginning from November through June (61 sessions over 8 months).

Fees are $90 per month per student. Families with two or more students in the class would receive a 50% discount ($45 per month) for each additional student from the same family. Does this sound reasonable to you?

Thanks!

I wouldn't be that generous with the family discount, especially since the hourly rate you're offering is already very low. When you're setting your price, remember to take into consideration the time you will spend prepping for class and grading homework. If someone needs extra help outside of class, are you going to charge extra? If not, you need to include that in your time estimate.

Just off-hand, I would figure in an hour prep time for each class, and an hour for grading homework. That's 3.5 hours of your time for each class x 61 sessions = 213.5 hours of your time. For each child paying full price, you'll get $3.37 for each hour of your time. With 6 kids paying full price, that's only about $20 per hour for you.

That's almost $12/session, when divided out over the year. A little high around here, for group classes. Our tutorial's math class is $384, for 62 sessions. Just over $6/session per student. That's pretty normal around here.

I think it's reasonable. I currently teach geometry to one student, twice a week for 1.5 hours per session, and charge $30 per week. The mom is thrilled she doesn't have to teach math, and the hourly rate is less than piano or group art lessons in our area. 3-6 kids is small enough to give them individual help. With a larger class, I would expect to pay less per student.

I guess I'm always surprised when I hear people balk at the price to have a child taught and yet will happily pay $8-$10 an hour for a young teenager to babysit for an evening.

I think it sounds like a reasonable price. Is there a reason why you're keeping the class size so small? It doesn't seem like you're making much money, especially if people drop throughout the year or don't pay for classes they don't attend. If you'd be teaching the class (to your own kids) regardless, maybe it wouldn't be bad since you're already doing the work. But I'd be inclined to raise the # of students to make more $$ and/or be able to bring the cost per student down.

I think it sounds like a reasonable price. Is there a reason why you're keeping the class size so small? It doesn't seem like you're making much money, especially if people drop throughout the year or don't pay for classes they don't attend. If you'd be teaching the class (to your own kids) regardless, maybe it wouldn't be bad since you're already doing the work. But I'd be inclined to raise the # of students to make more $$ and/or be able to bring the cost per student down.

...whether they attend or not. That's why I quoted a per-month price rather than a per-session price.

the hourly rate is less than piano or group art lessons in our area. 3-6 kids is small enough to give them individual help. With a larger class, I would expect to pay less per student.

I guess I'm always surprised when I hear people balk at the price to have a child taught and yet will happily pay $8-$10 an hour for a young teenager to babysit for an evening.

That's exactly what I was thinking! ;)

...that would make a difference. Around here, most credentialed teachers charge a minimum of $30-40 per hour for tutoring. I usually charge $20 because I know how it is when you're a single-income family in the county with the one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation. I had originally planned to offer one Algebra tutoring session per week for $10 per session, and 4 parents expressed interest. When I met with the parents, each said that they would prefer an actual for-credit class, as opposed to tutoring. I explained that because of the additional work involved, I would not be able to conduct a class for the same cost as for tutoring. They agreed, and I told them I would consider it and let them know when I decided on a fee. So I'm asking all of you if you think what I've decided on is actually reasonable.

The going rate here for piano lessons is $50-$70 per month for a half hour lesson per week. Contrast that with what my dc's music teacher charged; my older child had a 45-minute lesson each week for $7/week, and my younger child had a 30-minute lesson each week for $4/week. That means I paid about $50/month for TWO children to take piano & music theory lessons. The teacher said she set it up that way because she knew that most of her students were homeschooled (as she herself had been) and were from single-income families. She said she wanted to be a blessing to the homeschoolers in our area, and she truly was! My ds is now a music major in college, planning a career in music ministry. If not for his music teacher, I doubt my children would have been able to take music lessons.

Edited by ereks mom