Menu

Anyone want to answer a few questions to help me out with an assignment, please?

I need to interview a few parents for my Education Psych class project this week and ask the following:

1.) What is your overall approach to behavior management for your children?

2.) What specific techniques do you use to strengthen desirable behavior?

3.) What specific techniques do you use to weaken undesirable behavior?

I think it would be easier to ask people I don't know well IRL, so here I am. :D So, if anyone would be willing to help, I would appreciate it. You can post it or PM me. (I have to evaluate your answers based on the behavior theories taught in class and turn it in, so the teacher will see a synopsis of your answers.)

I would really, really, really appreciate it. :001_smile:

I need to interview a few parents for my Education Psych class project this week and ask the following:

1.) What is your overall approach to behavior management for your children? Trying to forge an over-all household atmosphere of respect between all members. I guess relationship based?

2.) What specific techniques do you use to strengthen desirable behavior? Positive and specific appreciation and recognition. A habit of respect and consideration in the home.

3.) What specific techniques do you use to weaken undesirable behavior? Natural consequences as much as possible and we use time outs of a sort as well when natural doesn't fit. My spectrum kid occasionally loses train book or toy access or privileges for something especially problematic because that's all that works for him but I don't consider him at all a typical child. He responds much better to the strengthening desirable than he does to any type of consequence. Actually, I think all kids probably do but he does especially. Our primary focus is on the positive.

I think it would be easier to ask people I don't know well IRL, so here I am. :D So, if anyone would be willing to help, I would appreciate it. You can post it or PM me. (I have to evaluate your answers based on the behavior theories taught in class and turn it in, so the teacher will see a synopsis of your answers.)

I would really, really, really appreciate it. :001_smile:

:) I decided to reply here to bump you.

Edited by sbgrace

1.) What is your overall approach to behavior management for your children?

We use a "grace-based discipline" approach. We don't believe in punishment (spanking, time-outs, non-logical consequences.) We *do* believe in discipline, setting children up for success, understanding age-appropriate beahviours and having age-appropriate expectations. (We don't expect a 3 year old to sit still and be quiet for a 90 minute church service or a tired 5 year old who hasn't had dinner yet to walk quietly through a 45 minute grocery - shopping trip.)

2.) What specific techniques do you use to strengthen desirable behavior?

Positive reinforcement - "catching" good behaviour instead of criticizing undesirable behaviour. We also try very hard to make our expectations very clear and simple. For example, "We are going out to eat. You need to keep your bottom on the chair and use your inside voice." We try to avoid telling them what *not* to do and focus on what *to* do.

3.) What specific techniques do you use to weaken undesirable behavior?

We let them know that a given behaviour isn't acceptable. We don't hide our natural feelings (disappointment or upset.) If something isn't "working," for instance, children are fighting over a toy, it goes away. If we can't use the crayons on the paper, they go away. If we need to scream and/or have a tantrum, use this pillow to keep it quieter and go into another room if it needs to go on longer than the rest of the family wants to listen to.

(We have 6 children - age range from 2 - 16. One is dx'd on the autism spectrum and one we suspect is on the spectrum.)

1.) What is your overall approach to behavior management for your children? Overall, I try to keep in mind that the goal is to give children skills and tools in order to be happy, healthy, productive members of society and the community (community being family, classroom, congregation, neighborhood, town, etc). Because of that, I believe in strict and firm discipline that focuses on teaching and guiding rather than outright controlling (though sometimes that is necessary also). Discipline itself should, as often as possible, exemplify the characteristics desired from the youth so should be effective and firm, but also be respectful, respectable, kind, understanding, reasoning, reasonable, consistent, persistent, helpful, etc. I'm fairly against punishment, rewards, threats and bribes. They are unnecessary the great majority of the time if the discipline is strong enough.

2.) What specific techniques do you use to strengthen desirable behavior? First, set the stage for desirable behavior. Routine, schedule, predictability, giving heads up for transitions, coaching, setting up cues to gently direct in the moment, etc are all really helpful to make things go the right direction. Natural and logical consequences work best, in my opinion. These may include encouragement, being pleased with them, giving increased responsibility/opportunity, etc.

3.) What specific techniques do you use to weaken undesirable behavior? Again, natural and logical consequences play a big part. These would include showing displeasure, decreasing (or just not increasing) responsibility/opportunity, etc. Additionally, setting situations up where things can't happen, strengthening desireable behavior (practice, for example), and reasoning (not lecturing; child should be the one talking most with adult guiding them the direction desired).

I have a 15 and 18yo. One has been a really easy kiddo and one was so challenging that we had to learn better discipline than threaten then punish. I've fostered, worked childcare, coached parents, substitute taught, and am now an education major. These things, fleshed out of course(!), really work. It's really about keeping a very broad range of tools in an ever-expanding toolbox and learning kids well enough to know what will work with each.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I hope you got some more mainstream answers also. The answers you got in this thread, though most parents use them to some extent, are not typical. Though controversial on this board sometimes, I think the honesty of those who are more controlling and punitive would be a helpful consideration for a teacher since MOST parents (and teachers) do use those methods often (like monthly, weekly, daily).

I hope you got some more mainstream answers also. The answers you got in this thread, though most parents use them to some extent, are not typical. Though controversial on this board sometimes, I think the honesty of those who are more controlling and punitive would be a helpful consideration for a teacher since MOST parents (and teachers) do use those methods often (like monthly, weekly, daily).

I'm not looking for a survey of all parenting styles; I can read research for that (and have.) I just need to be able to examine what a parent says and apply the theories from my chapter. It's a fluff assignment in a mandatory values-realignment teacher class. :D

Thank you, though.

1.) What is your overall approach to behavior management for your children? Behavior modification through eithe rewards or losing privileges.

2.) What specific techniques do you use to strengthen desirable behavior? Rewards, such as more computer time, eating out somewhere they want, buying a treat (candy or a soft drink) for them, etc.

3.) What specific techniques do you use to weaken undesirable behavior? Pulling privileges, such as computer or TV time, disallowing treats for some time period, perhaps losing a chance to eat out, sometimes being grounded from playing with friends, etc.