Menu

What level to start my 8yr with R&S English?

snipsnsnailsx5

My 8 yr old is currently doing FLL level one (year two) and WWE. Its very easy for him, a lot of repetition. He's doing well with it but I feel that its moving SO slow that he's not learning much. Something more challenging needs to be paired with them I think?

Because I'm moving my 11 yr old to Rod and Staff per many recommendations, I thought it would be good for my 8 yr old also.

Side question, (and maybe this should be posted separately) I like MCT a LOT,but just can't afford it right now. I may use it next year if R&S doesn't work out. However, is MCT the much better program then R&S for overall language arts? Or do they each have their strengths and thus you can't compare them? (basically, is one program better over the other as far as a great, thorough, LA program)

But back to original question...what level should I start my 8 yr old in R&S? He's in third grade, so I thought 3rd grade level. Last year I pulled him out of public school halfway through the year. He did Voyages in English grade 2 with me at home for 5 months. He covered writing different types of pieces (informational, personal, etc), as well as punctuation, sentence types, verb and noun types...

Would I be okay to start him in 3rd grade R&S English? Or bump him back to 2nd grade? He gets frustrated easily if its too complicated. BUT on the other hand, I don't want an entire year of review for him.

THANKS!!!!!!

Bethany,

R&S is an AWESOME grammar program. I have the entire series. (Caveat: I am a CONFIRMED curriculum junkie; I've been feeding my habit for the past twelve years! My oldest is a senior. :001_smile:)

I'm not sure you could name a language arts program that hasn't made its way through my house. I have two levels of MCT downstairs in the boxes. (Magic Lens Levels 1 & 2 with the trimmings.) I will use parts of them with my 8th grader this year and next year, and then I will probably sell them. In fact, all LA materials will probably eventually be pulled from my shelves - EXCEPT for the R&S books. I haven't sold those, and I won't. If my kids decide to homeschool, I will offer them up. If my kids decide not to hs my grandkids, I will share them when they come to me complaining that their kids can't write well. :001_smile:

MCT is a good program. I plan to use it here and there. DS loves the word puzzles in MLens. Some of the controlled writing exercises are useful for us. ("Ah! Now I get it. That's neat!") We are enjoying some of the sentences in the Level two 4 Practice Book; the level one sentences weren't from literature so aren't as useful to us.

But we will use MCT for fun. R&S is for daily work. :001_smile: Why? It just teaches so many of the details so completely. So well. So thoroughly. I have learned SO much with R&S; I'm still learning; it's a great series. The lessons are short. They are set up to facilitate a quick, efficient, jam-packed discussion. The exercises offer TONS of choices which means I can choose a short on-your-own assignment that focuses on the thing MY child needs to work on for that day: the thing he had the most trouble with in the lesson. Short. Comprehensive. And thorough.

I have learned SO much with the R&S program. I can flip through MCT and grab the gravy BECAUSE of R&S.

And in my opinion my 8th grader likes the gravy in MCT because it's fun. :001_smile: He gets it. And I suspect that's because of the foundation he has.

I would encourage you to smile about your choices. R&S is a terrific, cheap, effective, and efficient choice for 5th grade and 3rd grade. ESPECIALLY if you aren't a grammar wiz yourself! In that case, it's not less than. It is DEFINITELY great than. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Thanks everyone! I feel very good about my choice then.

I am a curriculum junkie I think too...I've only been homeschooling my 8 yr old for 5 mo last year and almost two months this year, and my 11 and 6 yr old for two months this year so far..BUT I've spent countless hours researching curriculum and hanging on on these boards. I've changed my mind SO many times.

However what I feel is lacking with our English program I think that R&S will really pick up.

I went ahead and ordered grade three for my third grader and grade 5 for my 6th grader. I did that because I read that grade 5 is a good starting point for jumping into the program. He's a very bright and quick learner, but I've noticed that perhaps that has gotten him into trouble. At PS I think he was such a quick learner that he'd gloss over the materials to get a good grade but not actually LEARN it. I'm doing Winston Grammar right now with him, and its amazing how much he's struggling with helping and state of being verbs. I know he's smart..but I don't think they ever covered this in PS last year, or if they did then he didn't actually retain any of it.

SO I think R&S will be awesome for him too.

I also got the R&S spelling for my 3rd grader. It looks similar to Spelling Workout and I don't have a spelling book for my 3rd grader yet. I'm doing Spelling Workout with my 11 yr old.

I see that R&S has everything for curriculum - is R&S a good enough program to consider other subjects for too? Such as, how does their math compare? What about their reading program, and science, etc?

THANKS!!!:)

State of being verbs? Just MEMORIZE them. Really. Teach it to him today. Have him say, "Am, is, are, was, were, be, being, been." Say it five times in a row at least ten times today. Do it again tomorrow. Then check a couple of times a day for the next week and then once a day and then once a week for the next couple of months. Really. Just do it. You won't be sorry. Just get him to feel the rhythm of the words and just DO IT! Our rhythm includes a pause after "are" and "were."

We say, "am, is, are" (breath) "was, were" (breath), "be, being, been."

Then do the same with the helping verbs: "Shall, will" (breath) "should, would" (breath) "may, might, must" (breath) "can, could." They have a natural rhythm. Latch onto it. Teach it. REALLY! Memorize them. It's not hard and it pays RICH dividends as you move forward. You just need that list stuck somewhere in your brain for so many "grammarie" things going forward! :001_smile:

It really is worth your time. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I see that R&S has everything for curriculum - is R&S a good enough program to consider other subjects for too? Such as, how does their math compare? What about their reading program, and science, etc?

THANKS!!!:)

The spelling is good, your typical rules based program, like Spelling Workout.

Their math is good, but a little weak on problem solving and such. My little guy is doing R&S / Singapore.

The reading, social studies, science depend on grade level. I've used the 3rd grade (maybe it's 2nd?) social studies with all my dc. It's about all the different needs of a community: hwo we get food, gasoline, power, etc. There is more or less specific content depending on grade level.

As you can see in my siggy, I use a lot of R&S materials. I can't speak for their higher grades, since I haven't used them yet, but I am very happy with their 3rd grade curriculum. I like their spelling program; it is not explicitly stated in the textbook, but each lesson seems to cover a different phonics rule (i.e. plurals, short vowel/doubled consonant, silent "e", etc). The math and English are very thorough and my 3rd grader seems to be retaining everything very well.

R&S reading does not have a very good reputation around here, but I have used it since my oldest was in 1st grade and I like it a lot. I have found that at the beginning of the year the lessons in the workbook appear to be very overwhelming to the student, so I don't assign everything for each lesson. In 2nd grade I didn't assign the complete lesson until she was in unit 4. This year I only pared things down for the first couple of weeks. I have also found that the key is to read the story together and go over the discussion questions in the TM so that I am sure that she understands the Bible story. The workbook lessons include things like comprehension questions requiring either a short answer or a complete sentence, outlining, synonyms/homonyms/antonyms, dictionary exercises, mapwork, discovering the meaning of words from context, and the last exercise in each lesson (so far) is a review of a phonics rule.

I did not like R&S science for 2nd grade, but beginning in 3rd grade it changed to a standard textbook format so I decided to give it another chance. It covers what I would guess is basic third grade science topics. Definitely not science according to WTM, but that didn't work so well in this house :crying:. The TM includes lots of extra stuff, like ideas for presenting the topic and extra facts about the topic that aren't in the student's book. There are lots of experiments and projects to choose from each week that coordinate with each lesson.

I don't use their social studies, I like SOTW, so I can't comment on that. Oh, and I like their penmanship - my eldest has nicer handwriting (print and cursive) than either I or her dad!