Menu

Century talk

Hot Lava Mama

Yes, if you're talking about the 18th century, that's the 1700's. You can think about it this way -- the first century BC is the first century after the year Christ is believed to have been born, that being year 1. Whether the first century starts with year 1, or year 0, is a matter of some dispute, so whether the first century runs from year 0 to year 99 or from year 1 to year 100 is a bit of a gray area.

The 13th century BC would be the century including the 1200's.

Yes, if you're talking about the 18th century, that's the 1700's. You can think about it this way -- the first century BC is the first century after the year Christ is believed to have been born, that being year 1.

I think you mean AD here, right? :001_smile:

And there is no Year 0, but I know what you mean.

What about B.C.? What would the 13th century B.C. be? Is that the 1200's B.C.?

Yes. The first century B.C. are the years 1B.C. to 100 B.C., the second one 101 to 200 B.C... and the 13th one then 1201 to 1299 B.C. (OK, aside from the dispute whether a new century starts with 101, 201 etc or with 100, 200).

Yes, if you're talking about the 18th century, that's the 1700's. You can think about it this way -- the first century BC is the first century after the year Christ is believed to have been born, that being year 1.

I think you mean AD here, right? :001_smile:

And there is no Year 0, but I know what you mean.

Oops! Yes, of course, I meant AD. :-) And yes, I know there's no year 0- that's what I get for editing out a longer discussion of the dispute about when exactly the centuries begin. Thanks for correcting me!