Menu

Dumb question about shoes/boots that are warm.

I was at a hayride/bonfire event last night. It was in the 40s and that's kind of cold for a Virginian.:D I wore sneakers and my toes froze the whole evening (even while standing next to the fire).

Now I've been thinking all day about what kind of shoes would have kept my feet warmer and absolutely nothing comes to mind. I don't want to invest in anything expensive because I just don't get to many outdoor events. However, I will be going to another hayride/bonfire in November and really do not want to re-live last night's experience.

Any suggestions?

What about better socks?

:iagree: Boots, Smoots. Unless you need them to get you through the snow, boots are useless. Socks. Wool. Possibly even wicking, depending on your weather. If you don't have wool socks, wear bigger shoes with 2 or 3 layers of socks.

ETA - Oh- and a hat. And gloves/mittens. If your head is warm, then your hands and feet are usually pretty warm, too.

Wool socks (such as Smartwool brand) or, my favorite, polar fleece ones. So cozy! Check Marshalls before spending the big bucks at an outdoors store. Get 'em for the family for holiday presents.

Wool hat (or polar fleece). It really makes a huge difference, even if it's not your head that feels cold.

Good gloves, or if you don't want to go full-force yet, try some fingerless wool gauntlets.

Land's End and Bean's have hiking boots. That, and warm socks. Ditch the cotton and go for wool or a synthetic blend that wicks away sweat.

(Isn't it lovely today?:001_smile:)

Yes, it is absolutely wonderful today - at least it was while the sun was still shining. Did you get outside to enjoy it?

Looks like the consensus is socks. I was warm all over except for my feet. And come to think of it, I did have on rather thin socks. Man, was I uncomfortable.

Thanks, ladies.:)

Definitely get some socks that wick moisture away from your feet but a cheap fix are foot warmers. You can find them in the sporting department of the big box stores. They are little packets of something that when exposed to air undergoes a chemical reaction that produces a good eight hours of heat. You put them in your shoes and you have toasty toes. It may feel a bit lumpy (they aren't to big) but they will keep your toes toasty. Get a set for your mittens and your golden. We live in the north and camp and ski and when it's cold they can make the difference between a good time and a great time. If my toes or hands aren't warm, I'm cranky.:lol:

I bought the most comfortable pair of dress boots at Payless for $35. They are waterproof, rated for -22, and look great with a pair of jeans. My feet are always cold, but not in these boots! Even if you would only wear them 2x/year, it would be worth it IMO. They are State Street Commuter available only at Payless. These are listed as a Men's boot, so adjust size accordingly if ordering online.

ETA: I wear wool socks all year. Last year, I couldn't find any cute women's dress boots that were weather-rated. I bought some anyway, and my feet froze all winter. I'm SO happy with my warm, cute, new boots!

Edited by Amy in NH

:iagree: Boots, Smoots. Unless you need them to get you through the snow, boots are useless. Socks. Wool. Possibly even wicking, depending on your weather. If you don't have wool socks, wear bigger shoes with 2 or 3 layers of socks.

ETA - Oh- and a hat. And gloves/mittens. If your head is warm, then your hands and feet are usually pretty warm, too.

:iagree: Wool socks, absolutely.

Another thing that really helps is windproof pants over your regular clothes and/or silk long underwear.

Great suggestions already. Another really simple and cheap solution - go to Walmart, or some sporting goods type store, and buy the things you put into your boots or shoes that add warmth for a few hours. They have them also for your hands - you just put them into a pocket or two and they give off heat. :)

Here's a quick video about one brand of foot warmers. http://www.expotv.com/Heat-Treat-Foot-Warmers/2J-1g1g

Edited by Teachin'Mine