Menu

Ever made your own dog food?

I am thinking about making dog food for our dog, instead of purchasing.

There was a time, when we bought top of the line, organic, dog food. But then we had to cut our expenses WAY WAY WAY WAY down, and have been buying the cheapest junk there is. I hate that. Dog has a sensitive tummy anyway, plus I just know enough to know that the cheap junk is just that, junk. Food dyes, fillers, etc. Yuck.

I am thinking making it would be a good compromise from the most expensive stuff, and the cheap junk.

I have found several recipes for wet dog food, ie gravy like, and I will probably make that as a "topper" or treat for the dog. But I would really like to make dry dog food, as I think it would last a bit longer so I would only have to make once a week.

I've made biscuits for dog before. But want to make sure the food is healthy, since this is her primary source of food.

Do you do this? What recipe do you use?

Our dog doesn't tolerate commercial food, so I make it.

She is also very sensitive to meat products, so her food consists of brown rice, lots of chopped fruits and vegetable and is usually topped with a little chopped egg and cottage cheese. I also add fish oil so she has some healthy fat.

I feed our new show puppy a raw diet. Look up "BARF" diet, Biologically Appropriate Raw Food.

Let me tell you... it's fantastic! My dogs poo isnt stinky, and it's MUCH smaller and firmer, aka easy to pick up.

So for a 4 month old 65 lb Dane we feed as many chicken necks as he wants (RAW), topped with juiced veggies (also RAW pulp and juice, dogs cannot break down the veggies on their own) He is healthy and LOVES his food.

I go through a 50 lb box of necks a week, at $12 a box.

You can also add omega oils or coconut oil... just a tiny bit.

eggs AND shells once every few feedings

probiotics and enzymes (if you want to)

and vitamin c

Edited by Mesa

My German Shep/Rhodesian Rdigeback had horrible food allergies, so until I could afford vegetarian kibble for her, I made food for both her and my Dane. It consisted of brown rice or oatmeal for variety, whatever fruits and veggies were cheapest that week (just be careful because too many onions can upset them) and always garlic, and whatever meat was cheapest for my Dane. They loved it, but it was time consuming and took up alot of space. I do not know if you can make dry food. I have lately considered making a wet mix to add to the dogs and cats food of something similar, but still giving them their dry food.

My German Shep/Rhodesian Rdigeback had horrible food allergies, so until I could afford vegetarian kibble for her, I made food for both her and my Dane. It consisted of brown rice or oatmeal for variety, whatever fruits and veggies were cheapest that week (just be careful because too many onions can upset them) and always garlic, and whatever meat was cheapest for my Dane. They loved it, but it was time consuming and took up alot of space. I do not know if you can make dry food. I have lately considered making a wet mix to add to the dogs and cats food of something similar, but still giving them their dry food.

onions are toxic to dogs by causing a type of anemia. PLEASE do not give your dogs onions!

This is not a toxicity that always immedietly shows up but does cause Hemolytic anemia. I have seen dogs eat onions for years before it develops and others who have them only a few times.

http://www.suite101.com/content/can-i-feed-my-dog-onions-grapes-or-raisins-a107002

http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/71/Foods-That-Are-Hazardous-to-Dogs-.aspx