Menu

Getting a smartphone. Windows based or Droid?

So, with the soon-to-happen demise of my trusty old Palm Pilot, a need move from using Outlook to Google Calendar to keep track of everybody's stuff, I am getting hip and getting a smart phone. We trimmed a couple bills so I can justify the data package. I was all set to get a droid phone... but ...the salesman worked pretty hard to talk me out of it. He was pushing a phone that had Windows platform because he felt it would suit my needs better. But, but, but ... the Droid phones are soooo coooool! The prices were pretty comparable. Both have slide out keyboards - both are full screen.

The windows phone had lots of apps already loaded. I would have to download/purchase lots of apps on the droid phone. Both have GPS capability.

So, will I be dissatisfied with a Windows phone and forever have Droid envy? Or will I be happier with a Windows phone?

My dh has had several smart phones. He's been happy with Window based and palm OS in the past, but he is gaga over his new droid. I have his old Windows based phone (Treo, probably outdated by now). It's nice but it doesn't have the capability to do apps. He's constantly telling me about new apps.

Are droid apps proprietary to droid phones? IMO, I'd go for the droid.

I recently got a Samsung Fascinate (android), and I (mostly) love it! I really didn't want a touch screen, because I've had trouble with them in the past, but I've had no problems with this one. The amoled is screen is fantastic, and the swype keyboard is really slick, once you get the hang of it. There are plenty of pre-loaded apps, but I don't use many of them. I've only downloaded a couple, and they were free.

It uses bing instead of Google, which I really, really dislike. And there is a problem with email not showing up unless I manually refresh. This seems to be a common problem and is supposed to be fixed with an update soon.

I've never had a windows phone, so don't have anything to compare it to. But I'm very happy with android.

I love my DROID X... simply love it.

Which carrier will you be using, and what do you need your phone to do?

Edited by nmoira

I got a Droid in July and I have absolutely LOVED it! It has the slide-out keyboard b/c I hate touch screen. Now I almost exclusively use the touch screen! LOL I've never had a Windows based smart-phone so I can't compare. But I do love my Droid! I haven't bought one app yet! All the ones I have needed or wanted have been free. :)

I don't use tons of apps on my Droid, but there are lots of free ones and most of the rest are low-cost. I admit that I'm surprised at how many apps out there are for the purpose of playing flatulence noises on your phone. I love the Google Navigation app. Use it all the time. I use price-checker apps too.

It's really easy to overestimate the number of apps you'll use. I rely on just a handful for most tasks.

I think your salesman really really wants a bonus for selling a certain kind of phone that happens to be non-Droid.

Okay, Droid users? What kinds of apps does your phone come with? The sales guy made it sound like the droid phone was practically bare and that I would have to pay for a bunch of apps. How much do the apps cost? Can you back up info on your phone? How do you do that?

The carrier I have is US Cellular.

You can browse apps at AppBrain, but it can be a bit overwhelming. I'm sure folks around here would be happy to list their favourite apps. AppBrain is the first app I recommend installing, and it's free. :)

My DROID X came with the essentials, including Google Maps and Google Nav). Of the 107 apps I've installed, I've only paid for 7 for a total of $27. The paid apps include a Latin/English dictionary (I know, I was shocked it didn't come pre-installed too :D), a math drill program (many free ones are available, but I like this one best), a ruler/protractor/plumb line combo, the PhysOrg ad-free reader (a free version is available), Wolfram Alpha interface (a free version is available), a few games, and a password keeper program (base program is free, but I wanted to be able to back it up online). ETA: And a fabulous front end for our local transit system scheduling and tracking.

Most pay apps are about $1 and few are more than $5. The most expensive I've seen is the Shorter Oxford at $50... still a substantial discount from the print version. Almost all apps have either a demo version or (more typically) and ad-supported version. Google apps are free. YouTube is free. You could easily go without paying for an app unless you need to sync contacts with Outlook.

Which leads me to ask what mail and address/contacts system/program do you use? The only one I've that people have trouble syncing with out-of-the-box is Outlook (Exchange is OK). However, there are third party apps or one could use gmail as an intermediary.

Edited by nmoira

Okay, Droid users? What kinds of apps does your phone come with? The sales guy made it sound like the droid phone was practically bare and that I would have to pay for a bunch of apps. How much do the apps cost? Can you back up info on your phone? How do you do that?

The only apps I've downloaded are Google maps (love), Flood It (silly game) Kindle and Pandora, all free.

There are a bunch of apps preloaded but I never use them. I use my phone mostly for phone/texts, web surfing, and the Kindle app. Mainly because I don't have any idea what all I could be doing with it.:tongue_smilie:

For backups... a total backup is probably overkill (and you'd need to be rooted), but there are a number of programs which will backup your user data. It's a snap to re-download apps, and the app market keeps track of which ones you've purchased.

Thanks for all your opinions. They are so helpful.

But I truly love my BlackBerry. :001_smile:

Ya see ... You couldn't pay me to get a BlackBerry. I am sure it is a fine phone ... BUT ... my husband has one for work and we both just hate it. He can no longer leave work at work. His bosses expect him to answer emails at 10pm at night. Also, the screen is a little small for my old eyes.

So, with the soon-to-happen demise of my trusty old Palm Pilot, a need move from using Outlook to Google Calendar to keep track of everybody's stuff, I am getting hip and getting a smart phone. We trimmed a couple bills so I can justify the data package. I was all set to get a droid phone... but ...the salesman worked pretty hard to talk me out of it. He was pushing a phone that had Windows platform because he felt it would suit my needs better.
I agree with PP: That salesman doesn't care one iota about your needs. He must have some special commission or bonus on each Windows 7 Mobile phone he sells.
But, but, but ... the Droid phones are soooo coooool! The prices were pretty comparable. Both have slide out keyboards - both are full screen.

The windows phone had lots of apps already loaded. I would have to download/purchase lots of apps on the droid phone. Both have GPS capability.

It doesn't matter how many apps come loaded on the phone. What matters is what apps are available and being developed for the phone. iPhone is the current leader in this area. But Android is now the top-selling cell phone platform. iPhone's iOS is second and Blackberry is third. Application developers go to where the volume is, so the work being done today is for Android and iPhone. The new Windows 7 Mobile platform is nowhere in sight. I personally don't see it surviving.
So, will I be dissatisfied with a Windows phone and forever have Droid envy?
Yes!
Or will I be happier with a Windows phone?
Uh, no...

I have a NexusOne, which is slightly more powerful than a Droid, but it does not have a keyboard. It is a little difficult to tell which applications came with the phone and which ones have been added since NO apps have preferential treatment on an Android phone. While some of the basic applications are built-in and cannot be removed, you CAN replace their functionality with other apps if you like. This forces the built-in applications be be top-notch or simply be replaced by an application in the Android Market.

To the best of my knowledge, here is what came with my phone:

Amazon MP3, Browser, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Contacts, Email, Facebook, Gallery, Gmail, Google Latitude, Google Search, Maps, Market, Messaging, Music, My Device, Navigation, News and Weather, Phone, Places, Settings, Voice Dialer, Voice Search and YouTube

Here is what I have added from the Market:

Adobe Flash 10.1, Adobe Reader, Amazon, AndFTP, BBC News, Bible KJV, Bubble, Car Home, Classic Tetris, Coloroid, Documents to Go Full, Droid48, eBay, Google Goggles, Google Translate, iBMI Calculator, Mahjong, Mancala, Memory, Nook, Shelves, Sherpa, ShopSaavy, Slacker, Slide Puzzle, Spades, Sudoku Daily, Sudoku Free, TasKiller, Terminal Emulator, The Weather Channel, Tic Tac Toe, Traffic Jam, TTS Service Extended, TV Guide Mobile, TV.com, Twitter, USA Capitals, USA Today, Visual Voicemail, Google Voice, WBAL-TV, Word Search, WordUp! and Yellow Pages

On top of all this, my phone is my own personal WiFi hotspot. Wherever I go, I can hop on my laptop to browse the web without any need for tethering to the phone. It's just on. Like right now: I'm not at home, but I can answer this post on my computer rather than having to compose it on the 3.7" screen on my phone.

Ya see ... You couldn't pay me to get a BlackBerry. I am sure it is a fine phone ... BUT ... my husband has one for work and we both just hate it. He can no longer leave work at work. His bosses expect him to answer emails at 10pm at night. Also, the screen is a little small for my old eyes.
My sentiments exactly! BlackBerries are for corporations!

Best of luck with whatever phone you purchase!

Edited by RegGuheert

I've never paid for an app,and there are gazillions of them. Also they are rated so you can see which ones people like best. You can search them all, or search just the free ones. Makes me wonder if your rep is getting a better commission on pushing the Windows phone? Our rep touted the advantages of whatever we wanted to look at, certainly didn't make the Droid sound difficult!