Menu

Missouri Science & Technology - Rolla, MO

Miss Marple

Missouri S&T is a school with a definite engineering and science focus. Currently about 6,000 students.

From what I heard from students, it is rather easy for students to become involved in activities like Solar car, Solar house, engineers without borders, mining competitions etc. It is also easy for students to become involved in research as undergraduates if they so choose.

MS&T has the highest average salaries for graduates in the Midwest (about 57k, I believe).

No experience yet, but my son just sent his application in today. :D

Did he go for a visit? If so, what were his perceptions? I see that they have an agreement with several other states for reduced out of state tuition. I wonder if they have very good out of state student scholarships. Ds is still a couple of years away from graduation, but I need to work on his course selections for the coming years esp. if they have special requirements.

I saw them featured on this really cool link: http://www.popsci.com/science/gallery/2010-08/gallery-30-awesome-college-labs

We haven't gone yet but plan to in the spring. Our state isn't one of the states with the tuition agreement but they do have scholarships available that reduce out of state tuition fees. I can let you know if he is accepted and what kind of aid they offer.

Thanks for the link!

Yes, they have an experimental mine. And there is a professor, Dr. Paul Worsey, who is an explosives expert - I believe there is even a degree in explosives.

(As a side note: for Halloween, they turn the experimental mine into a Haunted mine as a fundraiser... very very scary )

Among several pre-college programs, there is an explosives summer camp for high school students 16 or older, if your son is interested in something like this.

Yes, they have an experimental mine. And there is a professor, Dr. Paul Worsey, who is an explosives expert - I believe there is even a degree in explosives.

(As a side note: for Halloween, they turn the experimental mine into a Haunted mine as a fundraiser... very very scary )

Among several pre-college programs, there is an explosives summer camp for high school students 16 or older, if your son is interested in something like this.

That's actually how I came across the school. I was Googling "Pyrotechnic summer camps" and this one popped up. It looks incredible! And it's all about stuff he has done in my barn... or has wanted to do in my barn :tongue_smilie: This looks like a school where he could actually have fun - and learn something.

Lucky for us most of our near neighbors are gone during the day. He can set off some rather loud booms! One day he set off an incredible smoke bomb. I think it completely covered the house :D It's a good thing we live in the country :lol:

Yes, we will be applying for that camp. :001_smile:

Edited by CynthiaOK

We haven't gone yet but plan to in the spring. Our state isn't one of the states with the tuition agreement but they do have scholarships available that reduce out of state tuition fees. I can let you know if he is accepted and what kind of aid they offer.

Thanks for the link!

That would be fantastic! Like I said, I have a couple of years left, but I would love to know what you and your son think about the school.