Menu

what is missing from MCT?

Kuovonne

I use MCT (island level) for my language arts program. I use the grammar, writing, poetry, and vocab books. I keep reading posts that say other language arts programs include stuff that MCT doesn't and I'm worried that I'm not teaching everything I should.

I know that MCT doesn't cover

- spelling

- capitalization and punctuation

- commonly confused words (e.g. lay vs. lie)

- alphabetizing

- dictionary usage

- reading (phonics, comprehension, lit analysis, etc.)

What else am I missing?

I use MCT (island level) for my language arts program. I use the grammar, writing, poetry, and vocab books. I keep reading posts that say other language arts programs include stuff that MCT doesn't and I'm worried that I'm not teaching everything I should.

- spelling

- alphabetizing

- dictionary usage

What else am I missing?

It does cover punctuation, but as a function of grammar. It gets more complex as the levels go on. It is not a focus in Island, is more pronounced in Town and quite nicely fleshed out by Voyage.

There is plenty of complex reading and vocabulary, but I think it is assumed that your child should not bother starting with MCT until they are decent readers (Therefore, no phonics~ there are pronunciations in CE books) even though non-readers can enjoy the stories and handle most concepts. Comprehension is addressed in an interesting way in Town & Voyage. It is not like "read this passage and answer these questions" it is like 'analyze this sentence from great literature, what do you think the author was trying to say by choosing these words?'. Totally different angle.

I personally wouldn't worry, as you can address the things you feel it lacks with something like daily grams, editor in chief, WWE, or "insert something here". Keep in mind that some things get more emphasis in the later levels, and are only dealt a passing glance early in the program.

HTH...

- spelling

- alphabetizing

- dictionary usage

What else am I missing?

I haven't read the thread but...

DS worked through MCT Level 4 last year and is using Level 5 this year. We have gone over these topics both years

-capitalization and punctuation

-commonly confused words (e.g. lay vs. lie)

MCT stresses in everything I see that punctuation is a form of grammar and the two are tied together.

I agree with the reading comp, lit ananlysis, etc.

I personally wouldn't worry, as you can address the things you feel it lacks with something like daily grams, editor in chief, WWE, or "insert something here".

Thanks. I'm asking because I don't know what MCT lacks, so I can figure out what, if anything, to add. I don't know what I don't know, if you know what I mean.

I don't want to add in daily grams, editor in chief, wwe, etc., unless DD really needs it.

It doesn't cover personal or formal letters or addressing envelopes. I know GWG covers that. I do use WWE with my kids as my oldest was in WWE3 and is now moving into WWE4 when we started MCT Island level last year. I see these as complementary. I would think a standard sequence of WWE1,2,3,4 in 1st through 4th grade, WWE4 would overlap w/ MCT Island if started in 4th grade.