Menu

Timing dinner around evening sports

My boys swim several times a week. Their training sessions go from 6 pm to 7 or 7:30. Dinner is a constant dilemma for me. I can't feed them a full dinner before they swim or they'll barf. So I give them I light snack. When they finish their swimming session and come home (7:30 or 8) they are starving and need a full dinner. So we have all been eating dinner really late, which I hate. What do you guys do?

hi lucy -

4 nights a week, our dds dance and/or play soccer (football) until either 7 or 8 pm. we have started having our main meal at noon, and then they have chicken noodle soup or something similar before they dance... they need something, but that doesn't make them feel sick.

then, they often snack on whatever dh is eating when they get home, because he's home from work between 7-8pm, too.

the other three nights, we have family meals at night.

not ideal, but its working better than other things we've tried!

hth,

ann

Thank God soccer season is over now, but the last 2 months we have had soccer right over the dinner hour. So I either bring dinner to the game, or else I cook dinner ahead of time so that we can eat when we walk in the door. I did crockpot meals, grilled chicken ahead of time and then we had chicken sub sandwiches, made pizza calzones that they could eat on the go, and a few other things that I can't think of right now.

I do a large lunch and a snack before swim practice. When ds gets out of practice I have a large muffin for him to eat on the car ride home. Once home he has a sandwich for dinner.

It drives me nuts that his practice is smack during our usual dinner time.

Make the crock pot your friend. That way they can eat as soon as they get home.

Crockpot or if you have an oven that can be put on a timer, it works pretty well. I can set my oven to start cooking at a certain time and to stop at a certain time. It holds things warm for an hour before it shuts off completely.

A crockpot can do similar things for you. When ds played football 4 days a week, we ate from the crockpot. (Just don't use these terrible condensed soup cans that are often suggested in some crockpot recipes. :001_smile:)

Dc eat before and after swim practice. We "sit down for dinner" after but since they eat practically constantly, it doesn't really matter.

The crock pot is my friend, so are the programmable oven and leftovers.

Having the main meal at lunch totally disrupts my (homeschooling) day, so I don't do it very often.