Menu

Advice for Newlyweds

A very good friend of mine gets married today. As a part of their gift I wanted to give them a list of important things to remember throughout their marriage. I can think of a few things but I thought I would ask everyone here.

If you would give only one piece of advice to a newlywed couple, what would it be? (Funny and serious welcome!!)

I like the sentiments in this piece by Wilferd A. Peterson, especially the last two lines. This is a shorter version, which we had this read at our wedding. Google if you want to find the longer version.

The Art of Marriage

A good marriage must be created.

In the art of marriage the little things are the big things...

It is never being too old to hold hands.

It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once each day.

It is never going to sleep angry.

It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.

It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.

It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.

It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.

It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.

It is finding room for the things of the spirit.

It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.

It is not only marrying the right partner...

It is being the right partner.

- by Wilferd Arlan Peterson

A very good friend of mine gets married today. As a part of their gift I wanted to give them a list of important things to remember throughout their marriage. I can think of a few things but I thought I would ask everyone here.

If you would give only one piece of advice to a newlywed couple, what would it be? (Funny and serious welcome!!)

Have lots of TEA. Try to never say no to TEA when the other person wants some. If you really must say no, apologize to your partner and explain that you still love him.

Don't spouse bash, EVER. Even if you think it's funny.

Don't nag.

Something my husband and I have learned just recently (we've been married 17 years) is that there can be no intimacy without conflict.

So many issues over the years we've swept under the rug because we both hate conflict. We're learning that the goal of conflict is not necessarily to solve the problem (sometimes there isn't a perfect solution). The goal is to become closer to the person you love- to reveal more of yourself to gain a better understanding of each other. It's worth the pain if it brings you closer.

I would want to find some way to say it POSITIVELY, but I really think they need to keep in mind it's a long journeyat which they are only at the very very beginning. You will get tired. There will be ups and downs, bumps and bruises. Sometimes, downs last much longer and are much worse than you could imagine. Sometimes you may want to give up. But there are plenty of awesome times, even more great times, a plethora of good times. Remember, it's a journey.

I can't remember which 1st Lady originally said this, but "Leave one thing (neg) unsaid, everyday!"

That has been a Godsend for me. It's reminder everytime that a didn't marry him, because of who could be, or what he does, or doesn't do...I married him and who he is doesn't change on 1 negative comment! ;)

It is ok to fight! Geesh, how many do not understand this?

Yes, you can fight, but don't bring in other family members or friends.

:D

Hubby and I fight in the driveway (kids in the house). So, I guess we bring in the neighborhood, LOL. Married 20 now - it must work well enough.

I know a lot of people say never to go to bed angry. I have found that it doesn't always work. Sometimes you're having a really stupid argument at midnight, and the solution is to go to bed already. The next morning, you will wonder what you were so upset about and be glad you didn't drag it out until 2am. Being tired doesn't make just toddlers cranky--it works on grownups too.

I know a lot of people say never to go to bed angry. I have found that it doesn't always work. Sometimes you're having a really stupid argument at midnight, and the solution is to go to bed already. The next morning, you will wonder what you were so upset about and be glad you didn't drag it out until 2am. Being tired doesn't make just toddlers cranky--it works on grownups too.

:iagree:I much prefer going to bed angry than continuing to hash it out. 99% of the time the issue is not worth resurrecting by morning, and if it is, everyone is calmer. I have never "gotten" that saying. However, my coping style, a la the wonder work of John Gottman, is avoidant. I have learned to overcome the limitations of this style, this "homebase", but it is still my style.

I love the old world quote: Watch a suitor like a hawk. Watch a husband with half an eye.

Or to quote from the French:

To prepare a woman for marriage before marriage is to beat the water with a stick. To prepare a woman for marriage after marriage is to bend an eel at the knee.

It is ok to fight! Geesh, how many do not understand this?

Yes, you can fight, but don't bring in other family members or friends

And for some couples, it's OK not to fight. Couples need to find out what works for them.

I was so thankful that I married a man who would not fight. Took me a long time to get used to it, because I grew up in a family that thrived on argument and debate.

Learn to communicate without yelling which usually turns into nonsense that is meant only to hurt the other person to match the hurt the first person feels. That's not productive in working out problems. That lack of communication was one of the reasons my first marriage ended in divorce. My husband taught me how to communicate effectively and it's been the absolute key thing in our successful, so far, marriage. We just celebrated 15 years married and I can honestly say I'm still as happy today as I was 15 years ago. Communication!!!!

hmm. in really thinking about this, i've had several conversations over the years that always strike me as odd. i have many good friends that are well-intentioned in their constant comments on my marriage (or other successful marriages). i will hear remarks that insinuate a happy marriage is kind of "rare" or birthed out of luck. i know those comments are meant as a compliment, but imho they are completely wrong. my husband and i started off like every other couple, totally in love/lust over one another and thinking the other person was the greatest thing on the planet. imo, all couples start off on the same level playing field. BUT, our marriage continues to be a happy one because we make it a priority. it isn't luck, but rather it's work. it is commitment & choice. it involves maturity, flexibility, acceptance, forgiveness, laughter, and love.

i stand by what i posted earlier too, which is don't talk bad about your spouse to other people. if you really need advice, seek wise counsel and focus on a solution instead of the problems you feel your spouse has. i think to constantly badmouth your spouse is poison to a marriage.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

Make your praises public, keep your criticisms private.

No one has a more vested interest in your success than your spouse...consider carefully any counsel they offer.

Home is the Castle. Defend it like one...moats, boiling oil and all...

Read the Bible together every day. Even if it's just one verse.

Cultivate a strong curiousity in what they will be like in 20 yrs, or 50.

Don't substitute quality time in place of QUANTITY TIME. You need both.

On your worst days, remind yourself that you couldn't live without her/him.

Life has seasons...the best may be yet to come.

God loves cheerful service. Go the extra mile for each other.

Laugh, and be ready to laugh...there is so much funny stuff out there to laugh at together, if you just pay attention!

Remember that men see the world through blue-tinted glasses, and women see the world through pink-tinted glasses. Both viewpoints have equal merit.

Don't obsess on money...some of the most miserable people I know could buy and sell me 10x over...they don't have the joy I have in my wife and family.

Make your praises public, keep your criticisms private.

No one has a more vested interest in your success than your spouse...consider carefully any counsel they offer.

Home is the Castle. Defend it like one...moats, boiling oil and all...

Read the Bible together every day. Even if it's just one verse.

Cultivate a strong curiousity in what they will be like in 20 yrs, or 50.

Don't substitute quality time in place of QUANTITY TIME. You need both.

On your worst days, remind yourself that you couldn't live without her/him.

Life has seasons...the best may be yet to come.

God loves cheerful service. Go the extra mile for each other.

Laugh, and be ready to laugh...there is so much funny stuff out there to laugh at together, if you just pay attention!

Remember that men see the world through blue-tinted glasses, and women see the world through pink-tinted glasses. Both viewpoints have equal merit.

Don't obsess on money...some of the most miserable people I know could buy and sell me 10x over...they don't have the joy I have in my wife and family.

Yes, by all means defend your unit from outsiders, even well meaning ones.

If either has "meddling" parents, move far enough away to visit now and then but not to find them on your doorsteps every day. :001_smile:

Be honest in a loving way. Sometimes this is very difficult.

imo, all couples start off on the same level playing field.

:confused: Wow. Starting out with a budding alcoholic for a spouse is an level playing field? Both in minimum wage jobs and functionally illiterate is the same as both with a professional degree? One grew up the child of an arranged marriage where no affection ever shown between parents?

I'm happy for you, but there is luck involved. I've known more than one person who married someone they had never seen so much as have a beer, and 10 years later, the DUIs start.

Ignore the never go to bed angry advice. For some people it works for others it does not. The couple will have to figure out what works for their relationship. There has been many an arguement in our marriage that required us both to sleep on our feelings. Sometimes you are too in the moment to see when you are being irrational. That nights sleep helps put things in perspective.

As a pp stated-never criticize the help they give you or they won't help with that task again. It took us both awhile to learn that one.

Remember that you can't change them. You can only change the way you respond to situations. For example: When the kids were little it used to drive me bonkers when I was ready to go, would ask dh to load the car and then he would just talk to his family forever. I would end up loading the car and getting the kids ready all while he was having a great time. I would be nasty to him and basically pitch a fit. One day I realized I had a choice. I could either accept his timetable or accept that I would be doing it. I accepted that I would be doing it. I would load everything up, get the kids ready, and tell dh we are leaving now. He would get up and we would leave. No drama.

:confused: Wow. Starting out with a budding alcoholic for a spouse is an level playing field? Both in minimum wage jobs and functionally illiterate is the same as both with a professional degree? One grew up the child of an arranged marriage where no affection ever shown between parents?

I'm happy for you, but there is luck involved. I've known more than one person who married someone they had never seen so much as have a beer, and 10 years later, the DUIs start.

keep my example in context of my actual post please. i was referencing comments made by personal friends in regard to relationships within my circle, including my own. my friends were not with budding alcoholics & functionally illiterate partners. their relationships started at the same level playing field as mine did. my marriage is not pure luck or just by chance. my husband and i have had many opportunities to hold a grudge, fail each other, hurt one another, etc.

my point is, failed relationships have contributions in the same manner that successful relationships have contributions. people are quick to recognize that many factors come into play for a relationship to crumble, and likewise, it takes a lot of effort and commitment for a marriage to thrive.