Menu

Help! 6 Traits of Writing & Spalding WRTR

tarana

I am trying to get my 3rd graders to write better. So far we have only done some journaling (just daily events in our life). I have to confess I have no clue where to start.

What is a good web site to understand the 6 Traits of Writing Model?

How do I use Spalding WRTR & incorporate 6 Traits of Writing?

Updated: We have been using WRTR for spelling & phonics. Hence wanted to extend it for writing too. For grammar we use Easy Grammar 3/4 & some Daily grams

Edited by tarana

I am trying to get my 3rd graders to write better. So far we have only done some journaling (just daily events in our life). I have to confess I have no clue where to start.

:bigear:

The Writing Road to Reading is not a composition program. It is a phonics program. It's the least user friendly phonics program that I have ever seen. I do not recommend it at all. I know others have used it and like it but I had a very negative experience with it. To use it properly requires special training which is time consuming and expensive. There is a heavy emphasis on detail which is unnecessary and burdensome for many children. Some programs lend themselves to making learning to read an enjoyable and low stress experience for the child. WRTR is NOT one of them. For spelling I would use Spelling Power instead of WRTR. Phonics would depend on what level the child is reading and spelling at.

You may also want to take a look at Writing With Ease. I cannot comment on 6 Traits of Writing.

I sent Ellie a PM bringing this thread to her attention. She worked directly with Spalding, so she should be able to give you some ideas.

Heather

Edited by siloam

I love the Spalding method and have used it very successfully with both of my dc. I own the 5th edition which includes teaching phonics, spelling, reading comprehension, grammar and some writing. I use the phonics and spelling portion only becuase I didn't feel that there was enough instruction in the book to teach grammar and writing skills. When you compare what WRTR covers vs. a full blown grammar/writing program such as R&S, there is no comparison. Just my 2 cents on WRTR writing.

6 Traits of Writing Model? The only thing that I have seen close to this are the following workbooks from Evan-Moor linked below.

http://www.evan-moor.com/Series.aspx?CurriculumID=26&SeriesID=188

HTH,

Jennifer

The Writing Road to Reading is not a composition program. It is a phonics program. It's the least user friendly phonics program that I have ever seen. I do not recommend it at all. I know others have used it and like it but I had a very negative experience with it. To use it properly requires special training which is time consuming and expensive. There is a heavy emphasis on detail which is unnecessary and burdensome for many children. Some programs lend themselves to making learning to read an enjoyable and low stress experience for the child. WRTR is NOT one of them. For spelling I would use Spelling Power instead of WRTR. Phonics would depend on what level the child is reading and spelling at.

You may also want to take a look at Writing With Ease. I cannot comment on 6 Traits of Writing.

Technically, WRTR is not a program. It is the manual for the Spalding Method. :)

Spalding teaches children to read by teaching them to spell. It teaches reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. It can also teach grammar and more comprehensive composition.

Most of the homeschoolers I've known since 1982 who do Spalding have not taken any specialized training classes--some have, most have not. Spalding does require more study on the teacher's part initially, but IME that study has been worth it.

I'm sorry you were not satisfied with Spalding. For me, it is the standard of comparison for all other methods. :-)

Nevertheless, it is not what I would recommend to someone who is wanting to teach her dc more comprehensive writing skills.

I have never heard of "6 Traits of Writing."

What you are doing is absolutely a start. :-) If you were doing Spalding with your dc because their spelling and reading skills needed to improve, there would be some writing involved, which IMHO would be appropriate for dc as young as yours.

I had notions of incorporating the '6 Traits' into their writing, but now that the kids are doing summations across the curriculum in history, science, as well as doing WWE and Meaningful Composition I haven't had much time to incorporate it. I will say that the one FUN way that I figured out how to incorporate the concepts in their writing was to use the lessons at http://www.writingfix.com . They have created writing lessons using picture books. The first one we did, "Meanwhile", was a huge success, and I had them use the transition adventure rough draft to start, then we corrected it and they wrote out their final drafts to submit. I used it mostly as a creative writing exercise, and they loved the idea of writing their own adventure stories. We do about one of these per month. Anyway, that site has a lot of ideas you can use for free plus a trip to the library.

The other thing I had thought about buying was the Trait Crate (see amazon.com) for their grade levels because it had everything there. I really feel like for now though, the writing fix site is enough. I haven't felt the need to get more specific about the 6 Traits than that because I think the other curriculums are doing a beautiful job (along with MCT LA) of explaining things to them at their level. Eventually we will get to it all, but as long as they are learning how to summarize things they are reading and write things down correctly then I am happy.

Edited by SaDonna

Technically, WRTR is not a program. It is the manual for the Spalding Method. :)

Spalding teaches children to read by teaching them to spell. It teaches reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. It can also teach grammar and more comprehensive composition.

Most of the homeschoolers I've known since 1982 who do Spalding have not taken any specialized training classes--some have, most have not. Spalding does require more study on the teacher's part initially, but IME that study has been worth it.

I'm sorry you were not satisfied with Spalding. For me, it is the standard of comparison for all other methods. :-)

I know that WRTR is the book written by Spalding. Spalding is the author. There are several phonics programs that have been written around the methods in the WRTR book. I also know that you do not call all of the various programs based on WRTR Spalding. However, we will have to agree to disagree. I am not as bent on exactness and minor details. I don't care that they are not technically the exact Spalding method you are referring to.

I think that some who use Spalding become almost religious about it - "It is the standard of comparison for all other methods." The attitude that it is the ONLY method that is "correct" and the comparison of it to other methods - is one of the things that has really turned me off to the "culture" that seems to be part of it. I have heard just about every other phonics program criticized at the Spalding based seminars I have attended. I don't care for that rigid attitude regarding any educational method. There is not one method that is best for every child. Spalding is a very BAD fit for some children. I have seen some Moms - due to this attitude that Spalding is best being drilled into them - force this method on children that it was not a good fit for. :tongue_smilie:

I probably dislike this method as much as you like it.

Nevertheless, it is not what I would recommend to someone who is wanting to teach her dc more comprehensive writing skills.

I know that WRTR is the book written by Spalding. Spalding is the author. There are several phonics programs that have been written around the methods in the WRTR book.

I think that some who use Spalding become almost religious about it - "It is the standard of comparison for all other methods." The attitude that it is the ONLY method that is "correct" and the comparison of it to other methods - is one of the things that has really turned me off to the "culture" that seems to be part of it. I have heard just about every other phonics program criticized at the Spalding based seminars I have attended. I don't care for that rigid attitude regarding any educational method. There is not one method that is best for every child. Spalding is a very BAD fit for some children. I have seen some Moms - due to this attitude that Spalding is the best and most "correct" method being drilled into them - force this method on children that it was not a good fit for. :tongue_smilie:

I probably dislike this method as much or more than you like it. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Miss Sherry