Menu

Recycling is so UGLY! Any clever ways to hide all those garbage cans in the kitchen??

Recycling is so UGLY! Any clever ways to hide all those garbage cans in the small-medium sized kitchen?

Really, there is only one spot they can go - against the wall. Right now I am using a 3 slot, pvc and net, laundry cart.

I was thinking something like a wood recycling cabinet that I could put stuff on top of ...

I keep my recycling bins outside my kitchen door. We simply put the items in the bins immediately. It's really no trouble to open the door and put the jar or whatever into the bin - only a few steps. Another option would be to have one bin inside, and give someone the daily chore of taking it out to the more specific bins (stored outside) and sorting it. Some folks keep the bins in their garage.

Is your recycling curbside? How often do they pick up? I assume it's not single-stream - how many different groups of items do you need to sort into?

Does everything need to be separated? Ours just recently switched to glass, paper and plastic together. I keep the bins outside (in the garage), and keep a paper grocery bag next to the garbage can. Those are in a small closet in the kitchen. I used to keep them under the sink - one for paper and one for plastic and glass. They are small enough to fill kind of quickly, so they get taken outside fairly often, easy enough to hide, and don't cost anything.

We have one for paper, one for gunk, one for plastic & metal and one for glass.

We have the big gunk and paper bins outside that the garbage men empty about once or twice a month and the plastic/metal just lays on the curb. Glass we have to haul to a center.

Our garage is on the first floor and the kitchen is way upstairs - otherwise I would love to be able to just go around the corner and put the containers in the garage.

Family of six now - we make lotsa refuse :001_huh:

I was very happy that our city switched to large dumpsters for the recycling with everything mixed together. Recycling is picked up just every 2nd week. The dumpster is just barely big enough for us.

Our trash dumpster (same size) is much larger than we need. We rarely have more than two 13-gallon trashbags in it. Our recycling dumpster is filled to the top.

Since we have single-stream recycling, we have just one trashcan in the kitchen for recycling. I dump it into the recycling dumpster every 3-4 days.

I have the exact same problem! We don't have an attached garage, and it's impractical to have the recycling in the garage in the winter (since the garage door is usually snowed shut). My tiny dishwasher is located directly underneath my sink, so that isn't an option for trash or recycling. I used to have the recycling in a corner and it drove me nutso. I moved it into my laundry room, and I pretend it doesn't exist. I drive it to a nearby town once/week since I don't have recycling pickup.

I am eagerly reading all responses.

At our old house, I'd just stick recycling under the sink then take it to the outside bin once a day. I kept the individual bags (one for paper, one for glass etc) in that little bin, so it would take a minute to sort.

This house we have a garage with space for the single-stream rolling bin right inside the door from the house. I open the door in the family room and drop the item right inside the bin as soon as I'm done with it. I'm still training the rest of the family to NOT put the item under the sink (and we've been here for four years!)

Since our recycling goes into one bin (no need to separate different types of recycling materials), we keep one trash can for trash, one for recycling, and it's not bad. Our bins are out in the alley, and we can't bring them to our backdoor, so the 2 trashcan thing works for us. The cans blend in, sort of, so it's not an eyesore.

I have something like this.

http://www.dickswoodcreations.com/store-products-62-Double-Pull-Trash-or-Clothes-Hamper_35104554.html

except mine has double doors. Each side holds a 13 gallon kitchen garbage container. It slides nicely under the overhang on the counter (which we never sit at anyways) but has enough space to store papers etc on.

A local wood worker made singles of these and we specially ordered a double. About a year later he started stocking the doubles as well because he got so many requests.

I find them at arts and crafts shows/stores. I have gotten so many compliments over the year because it hides them and keeps the smell down (which since we have a small kitchen space that is shared with the dining table).

But we only have 1 bin for garbage and 1 bin for recyclables. If you have to separate further than that this might not work (unless you can find one with more than 2 bins)

Recycling is so UGLY! Any clever ways to hide all those garbage cans in the small-medium sized kitchen?

Really, there is only one spot they can go - against the wall. Right now I am using a 3 slot, pvc and net, laundry cart.

I was thinking something like a wood recycling cabinet that I could put stuff on top of ...

Single stream recycling. I don't have to sort.

I have a small basket that hangs inside the door under the sink. When it's full I take it to the big recycle container in the garage.

I use 2 slim side-by-side garbage cans in my kitchen. One for regular garbage and one for recycling. Whenever either one gets full they get taken outside to the big trash can and/or outside recycling bins.

They look similar to this but mine have hinged swinging lids on top and were less expensive. I think I got mine at Menard's for about $15 each. hth!

I was very happy that our city switched to large dumpsters for the recycling with everything mixed together. Recycling is picked up just every 2nd week. The dumpster is just barely big enough for us.

Our trash dumpster (same size) is much larger than we need. We rarely have more than two 13-gallon trashbags in it. Our recycling dumpster is filled to the top.

Since we have single-stream recycling, we have just one trashcan in the kitchen for recycling. I dump it into the recycling dumpster every 3-4 days.

This sounds likes us. We just recently got set up with a trash service that does recycling (and are paying more because we are recycling :confused:). I was amazed that the recycling bin just about overflows each week while the trash dumpster is nearly empty. Really gave us a heads up on how much waste can be recycled.

We have to have a separate bag for each type -- including each type of paper. We're tripping over it constantly. It's probably not even safe, given that it partially blocks the back door.

I don't see any good way to deal with it. We can't put it outside the kitchen door because that's practically the neighbor's yard. They don't want to look at it and it would blow all over once the raccoons got into it. Anyway, a good chunk of the year it's really too cold to be putting trash out the back door. The garage is too far away to make a trek out there every day -- and the garage door is frozen shut all winter.

The only solution I see is to take out our bathroom and put a storage cabinet in instead. But then we'd no longer have a bathroom. Or to convince the city to go to unsorted recycling, but that just isn't going to happen.

We have so much recycling it never fits in our city-provided bins. And we're not a big family.

I think you are describing this:

http://ana-white.com/2010/01/plans-recycling-center-pottery-barn.html

You just need basic tools to build anything from her site--just a drill and a jigsaw for this one. Making it have three slots would not be difficult.

Our kitchen is pretty close to the garage, so all recyclables go straight to the big red plastic toter in the garage (we don't need to sort). A couple of times a week the dh empties the toter into the recycle bin.

If I'm cooking, I just let the recyclables pile up on the counter until I have a moment to walk them out.

The thing I haven't figured out is food scraps for composting. Those containers are so tiny. I get why...you do want to fill them quickly so that they get out of the house before they start to smell. But I'd fill one up 3 or 4 times just making dinner!