Menu

Classical Conversations - a few quick ??s

abrightmom

I'm going to use some CC materials for a structured memory work thing :D. There is a sale on some of the Cycle 2 materials right now. What materials would you recommend for basic "memory work at home"?

I was looking at the Audio cds and the memory work cards (Judo Mom is using those which is what set me on to them :D). There is also a cd-rom with power point presentations on it. How does that differ from the audio cd?

Do you recommend the Foundations Guide or are the cards/cds enough?

Is it better to start with Cycle 1? We are studying American History this year (and maybe next) if that is any consideration.

We are also going to memorize the VP timeline a la CC after we acquire all of the cards and the Foundations Guide. That's not on sale yet!

Thanks for your help!!

Edited by abrightmom
typo

Cycle 1 and 2 go best in order, but 3 (U.S. History) is entirely on its own. If it were me, I'd do Cycle 3 this year and next, while you are doing U.S. History. Cycle 2 is the one cycle I wouldn't start with, unless you were joining a campus and had no choice at all.

You will need the VP cards if you are going to do the timeline. If you want to use CC's order of them, you will need the Foundations guide.

You will also need at least one resource that has all of the other memory work. That could be the audio CD, the flashcards, or the Foundations guide. The CD-ROM has PP slides for some of the topics. The PP slides have background information. You don't really need it. You also don't necessarily need the flashcards and the audio CDs, unless you have extra money to spend.

The bare minimum is the Foudnations Guide and the VP cards. everything else is gravy that CC produced as add-ons. The best bet is to get the Foundations Guide, the VP cards, and the audio CD, imho. You will then just need to get the next cycle's audio CD to keep going the next time. The Foundations Guide and VP cards are used every year.

Edited by angela in ohio

:001_smile: Thank-you Angela. I most certainly do not have extra $$ to spend so this helps a lot. Of course it's Cycle 2 that is on sale and NOT the Foundations Guide. Alright . . . back to the drawing board for now. I'm going to wait patiently for the right materials at the right price!!!!

Those Foundation Guides are difficult to find used . . .

I just started using CC memorization at home. I found a 2nd edition Foundations Guide for inexpensive and I bought the VP cards used. I'm just going through the guide for science and memorizing things that go with what we are studying. I'm not worrying about the cycles. If you're just doing it on your own you wouldn't need to necessarily follow a cycle.

:001_smile: Thank-you Angela. I most certainly do not have extra $$ to spend so this helps a lot. Of course it's Cycle 2 that is on sale and NOT the Foundations Guide. Alright . . . back to the drawing board for now. I'm going to wait patiently for the right materials at the right price!!!!

Those Foundation Guides are difficult to find used . . .

Remember that CC memorization is no magic formula, either. Many families have done memory period for many years before CC came about. I still do the VP cards and the Latin for cycle 1 and 2 (which is not anything CC created, but just the conj. and decl.,) and a few of the science facts, but other than that, I think there is better material to cover: poetry, Scripture, grammar, geography, etc. If you want to do it on your own for less money (granted, you won't have a snazzy CD with all of it :D) search the boards for memory work threads. There are many other reosurces our there, some even free.

Ladies,

Thanks for your suggestions and advice!! Robyn, you helped me recently and put me onto the "use the CC guide, VP Cards and youtube video". THAT is pretty simple and straightforward to me. I like having something structured and laid out. My own attempts at planning and implementing memory work tend to fall flat . . . I even purchased (and sold) Living Memory in an attempt to "plan a memory curriculum". Ugh. Too open ended for this scatter brained Mom! I'm a teacher in process I suppose . . . I'll get there.

I am going to keep it simple: Bible passages and history timeline to start with; some science as it applies. After that, we'll see if we end up doing anymore!

Thanks again for the helpful tips. BTW, since this morning I found a used guide. :D