Menu

How much would you pay for Art lessons?

RainbowSprinkles

In my area, lessons of any kind seem to be quite high. I was wondering how much you would pay for Art lessons?

There's a Fine Arts Academy that offers weekly lessons for homeschoolers at $15 per lesson plus a $15 supply fee. So that would be $60 a month. I don't know if the supply fee is a monthly charge. It does seem rather high to me, especially if you have one than more child.

Only $60 a month for weekly lessons? Lessons around here, of almost any liberal arts variety, are $20 each. Teachers charge extra for piano books and art supplies, sometimes. Our current music teacher gives a slight discount for having 2 students enrolled but charges separately for books, while our current art teacher gives no discount for multiple students but also doesn't charge for any supplies.

I guess it varies with area, availability, supply, & demand.

We pay $6 a week for 1 1/2 hours. There is also an advanced class that meets for an extra hour for an additional $3 a week for high school students. There is no supply fee. These are not craft classes, but true art classes. They are very popular. There is no discount for multiple children.

For $60 per month, I would expect a very small class size and high quality instruction.

Our local art center that I have been able to use to coordinate a homeschool day charges $5 an hour. I had to fight a little to get all teachers to agree to this. We typically have 6 - 12 kids in a class. The supply fee varies from 0 - 15 for a 10 week session. I basically asked our art, yoga, pottery, drama, Spanish teachers (I am the science/history teacher) would you rather make a little money averaging $25 an hour or none at all? Our art teacher was an art major in college and is very good. She is patient and really likes the kids.

I pay a total of $65/four 1.25 hours of art and 1.25 hours of theater. So, that is 10 hours of lessons for $65 or $6.50/ hour. There is also a $60 per semester supply fee. Also, there are less than 10 in the group.

This is astoundingly cheap even for middleTN. I know that I am getting an incredible bargain and I am incredibly thankful!:D

Mandy

In my area, lessons of any kind seem to be quite high. I was wondering how much you would pay for Art lessons?

There's a Fine Arts Academy that offers weekly lessons for homeschoolers at $15 per lesson plus a $15 supply fee. So that would be $60 a month. I don't know if the supply fee is a monthly charge. It does seem rather high to me, especially if you have one than more child.

Here we usually pay for a set number of weeks--usually 4-8 week classes (so, not ongoing all year round). Usually it works out to somewhere between $10-$15 per week for 1 or 1.5 hours, plus a supply fee. We can do private art lessons for $15 for 1.5 hours, and have a discount for extra kids, plus supplies. My son's guitar lessons are $13 for 30 minutes.

If this is a quality art teacher, it will be worth it to pay for classes now & then. For the ages of your kids, I probably wouldn't do more than one 4-8 week session each semester. I'd let them do a lot of art messes at home and just keep lots of supplies on hand. If you have a child who is particularly gifted, I might do more at this age...would depend on the child.

If this is just a crafts, glue & paste kind of class, then I wouldn't be willing to pay that.

Merry :-)

that is what i pay for my son's 2 hour lessons in a small class (almost like private lessons). seems very reasonable to me.

For $60 per month, I would expect a very small class size and high quality instruction.

Yes. I would gladly pay that amount, but I would expect those two things. The only art lessons we've been able to find locally are no longer offered, but they were $10 per lesson and the class sizes were very small - usually 4 or 5 kids. They were given by a local elementary art teacher.

• 3 weeks later...

My BFF taught art classes (1.5 hr) for $10/class, twice each month.

Health made her stop. The parents went to a new art classroom, and that teacher charges $40 per class (1.5 hr) and requires a twice each month, pay if you don't come. Everyone fussed and fumed, but that's all that's available.

FYI: My BFF is a professional artist and taught art for 25 years, until bad health. She was frustrated by HS moms who had expectations of da Vinci from a child's first project. For instance, first time sculpture and wanted a bust of Dad from a 11 yo DD. Poor child was subject to hearing Mom rant to BFF about poor quality of DD's sculpture. Child didn't want to take risk and fail again. So budding artist withdrew (from class and into herself).

We (as HS moms/dads) need to relax sometimes and let our DC be beginners with "start overs".

Ds6 takes art through a homeschool co-op. His lessons are $20/month (so 4 lessons sometimes 5, sometimes less if there is a holiday, so roughly $5 per class). I believe the materials fee was $45, just one time for the year (Sept-May). They start this at kindy age, so I couldn't get ds4 signed up for it. This class is wildly popular and difficult to get into, for price it can't be beat and the teacher is fabulous. I wasn't able to get ds6 in last year and am thrilled he got a space this year.

Ds4 takes an outside art class and his are $120 for 8 classes. ($15/per class), this includes the materials.