Menu

Anything else I can do to boost my immune system?

OK - basic health history:

Fibromyalgia and assorted chronic symptoms for 20 years

Anti-parasitic treatment last summer which took a lot out of me but did seem to improve my health quite a bit - esp. the chronic pain.

After the treatment, my immune system was really weak. I got sick every time I left the house. I ended up getting infections that went from my ears to my eyes to my throat to my lungs (pneumonia). I was on successively stronger antibiotics for 5 weeks.

Since September (when I got over the pneumonia) I have not actually gotten sick, but every single time I leave the house to go to the store, church, gym etc. my lymph nodes are enlarged and I have a bad sore throat.

I am treating myself with elderberry extract, vitamin D (I take 10,000 IU a day), liquid vitamins for better absorption, high potency probiotics. Today I added oreganol softgels. Any other ideas? I can't go to another naturopathic Dr. right now (perhaps next month). My dh (an RN for what it's worth) is worried about me because he says that I have no reserve and if I'm exposed to something bad that I probably won't be able to fight it very well.

UPDATE: it turns out that the oreganol that I had started has been wonderful! Since taking it (daily for now) I am not having the trouble with my lymph nodes swelling, feel much better overall, and amazingly (because I didn't expect this) am sleeping better at night! I think I had an underground infection of some kind that this is addressing. I know that I can't take the oreganol indefinitely but I think I will take it for awhile to make sure that it really cures whatever has been depressing my immune system.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

a raw garlic clove and raw ginger daily. That's all I can think of at the moment.

If you've had long standing issues with a sore throat coming and going, could it be allergies? When dd complained of a sore throat for a YEAR I kept taking her to the dr and all they said was that it was allergies. It turned out to be GERD for her, but the pediatrician said the only thing that could cause a sore throat for a year, coming and going, would be allergies. (the ALLERGIST diagnosed GERD!)

If it's not against your religious or personal beliefs, I've found meditation to be very helpful and relaxing. Dr. Weil's tape is my favorite, but he's not the speaker; it's a friend of his. You could commit as little as 15" or much more time if you want.

Chia seeds might also be worth trying.

Perhaps taking it VERY easy and letting dh run the errands if it's at all possible.

It takes some time to bounce back.

Did I mention Nature's Sunshine "Immune Stimulators"? They have helped me a lot. Also, olive leaf extract is an immune booster.

Interesting. I looked those up. I'll have to see if our discount health food store (they have supplements at a discount) has these.

look into low dose naltrexone, I've read that it is specifically useful for boosting immune system and combatting fibromyalgia and ms symptoms. if you google 'low dose naltrxone fibromyalgia' you will get a lot of info. Then if you want to learn more, look into the yahoogroup for it.

look into low dose naltrexone, I've read that it is specifically useful for boosting immune system and combatting fibromyalgia and ms symptoms. if you google 'low dose naltrxone fibromyalgia' you will get a lot of info. Then if you want to learn more, look into the yahoogroup for it.

It looks like this is prescription medicine? I'd have to go to a Dr. for this, right?

What is your supplement regime? I take:

Stress Tabs (B-complex with high dose C & Zinc)

Calcium Citrate

Magnesium Citrate (400%)

Fish Oil (Triple Strength)

Probiotic

Vitamin D

I think that is it. I feel like the magnesium has the greatest effect on muscle pain while the stress tabs are probably best for energy and then the probiotic and Vitamin D for immune system. I also take a prescription strength NSAID that really does make a difference (Voltaren or Diclofenac).

Probiotics will help so much. I like Garden of Life brand (called Primal Defense). Dr. Ohhira's are good too. I really saw a big improvement after taking them. I was getting what I believe was Strep about every 6-8 weeks. I started the Garden of Life probiotics and haven't had it since, that was over a year and a half ago. As a matter of fact, we (my family took them too) haven't had a flu or cold in the past year and a half. I order them from www.iherb.com. This is the best price I have seen. They are well worth it.

Also, check out Doug Kaufmann's (sp?) site www.knowthecause.com. We are big fans. I had some health issues and his recommendations really helped me, amazed the Doctors too. He has a health show, and you can watch it online. I like that he doesn't sell anything but his books. He chooses guests for his show if he really likes their products. Neat guy!

Katie

I would do Vit. D (remember, fat soluable)-magnesium-calcium. They are a trio that work together. I use NOW VItamin D 2,000 softgels and NaturalCalm magnesium/calcium.

Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega Fish oil.

Bronson labs (Vitamin C) sodium ascorbate powder

Low-carb diet.

Sunshine, fresh air, kind friends and a furry pet. Turn your TV off, seriously. Prayer.

For fibromyalgia...two therapies that are AMAZING are myofascial release and Craniosacral therapy. A good therapist who does this will not be cheap, but it works.

For pain: another remedy that isn't cheap, but it's drug free is Curamin. It's a form of tumeric (which you could also use).

B6 vitamins can alleviate depression.

HTH. :)

What is your supplement regime?

In the a.m. I take (besides my natural thyroid pill), liquid vitamins (which have a long list of vitamins and minerals from whole food sources), selenium (for my thyroid), Omega 3-6-9, Adrenal Optimizer, N-A-C, vitamin D, probiotics and cranberry pills.

In the p.m. I take Quercetin, 5-HTP, melatonin, probiotics, cranberry.

You know, I also am taking liver detox and a colon detox pills in the a.m. and the p.m. And I'm exercising 6 days a week and am starting to build up my physical strength. I bet those things tax my immune system. Though eventually they should strengthen them - at least that's the idea.

I get sore throats more often when I'm eating things I'm allergic to. Since I'm now allergic to almost everything, that makes it difficult! But, a rotational diet helps as well as eliminating things that get really hard on my system.

I just lost coffee :sad: but I can still have chocolate! :001_smile::001_smile: I was really sad when I had to go off chocolate for a while, and it happened while my husband was deployed, so I was doubly sad.

I also recently lost venison and elk but gained back buffalo. Buffalo is better than venison, so it's a bit to the good.

I get sore throats more often when I'm eating things I'm allergic to. Since I'm now allergic to almost everything, that makes it difficult! But, a rotational diet helps as well as eliminating things that get really hard on my system.

I just lost coffee :sad: but I can still have chocolate! :001_smile::001_smile: I was really sad when I had to go off chocolate for a while, and it happened while my husband was deployed, so I was doubly sad.

I also recently lost venison and elk but gained back buffalo. Buffalo is better than venison, so it's a bit to the good.

A couple of you have mentioned allergies but unless it is environmental from being out, I don't think it is allergies. It is only on the days when I go somewhere and stay for at least an hour, being around people or their germy things. My food isn't any different on those days. Unless you mean that having allergies would make me more susceptible to their germs?

A couple of you have mentioned allergies but unless it is environmental from being out, I don't think it is allergies. It is only on the days when I go somewhere and stay for at least an hour, being around people or their germy things. My food isn't any different on those days. Unless you mean that having allergies would make me more susceptible to their germs?

My sore throats are more random, it doesn't always immediately follow the food being ingested, sometimes it does, but I also just get them more often when my body is under stress from too many allergens. (It is also worse when other allergens are high.)

Maybe it is the stress of being out more than the germs? Maybe try to take more rest breaks and stay hydrated when you are out.

I like to take high doses of professional strength echinacea. I take 3 dropperfulls whenever I feel something coming on. I buy 500ml bottles and put it in juice for the kids too.

There is a Yahoo group, Jean, that you might find interesting- it is called Herbal Remedies and it is run by Dr Shillington. I have learned a lot of information from there over teh years and there is a lot of information in the files. I dont stand by everything

He also has an online shop-

OrganicSolutionsStore.com

but there are lots of formulas you could make yourself such as this one, which I have made:

( I am copying and pasting the whole thing from the files because of copyright laws).

Total Tonic Formula (natures antibiotic)

1 Handful of Garlic Cloves

1 Handful of chopped Onions

1 Handful of chopped Ginger

1 Handful of chopped Horseradish

1 Handful of fresh sliced Tumeric

1/4 to 1/2 handful of chopped Habanero Peppers depending on heat value.

Throw in a blender and cover with an inch or two of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.

All ingredients should be ORGANIC, but don't let that stop you from making this

great formula. You can use the mash right away or wait two weeks and tincture.

Much love,

Doc

Ian "Doc" Shillington

DocShillington@Knology.net

727-447-5282

We use a similar Super Tonic that I'm just making for the winter.

1 cup peeled and chopped garlic

1 cup onion

1 cup ginger root

1 cup jalepeno or cheyenne

1 cup horse radish root

Peel and chop all and cover with raw apple cider vinegar.use as is or Let sit for one month and strain. This stuff is powerful. A spoonful a few times a day if you feel anything coming will chase it away. you can stir it into tom juice to get it down.

This is from R weaver's book Be your Own Doctor.

Edited by kamom
adding reference

I like to take high doses of professional strength echinacea. I take 3 dropperfulls whenever I feel something coming on. I buy 500ml bottles and put it in juice for the kids too.

There is a Yahoo group, Jean, that you might find interesting- it is called Herbal Remedies and it is run by Dr Shillington. I have learned a lot of information from there over teh years and there is a lot of information in the files. I dont stand by everything

He also has an online shop-

OrganicSolutionsStore.com

but there are lots of formulas you could make yourself such as this one, which I have made:

( I am copying and pasting the whole thing from the files because of copyright laws).

Total Tonic Formula (natures antibiotic)

1 Handful of Garlic Cloves

1 Handful of chopped Onions

1 Handful of chopped Ginger

1 Handful of chopped Horseradish

1 Handful of fresh sliced Tumeric

1/4 to 1/2 handful of chopped Habanero Peppers depending on heat value.

Throw in a blender and cover with an inch or two of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.

All ingredients should be ORGANIC, but don't let that stop you from making this

great formula. You can use the mash right away or wait two weeks and tincture.

Much love,

Doc

Ian "Doc" Shillington

DocShillington@Knology.net

727-447-5282

what do you do with this? Store it in a covered jar and then strain? Do you take some daily or only as illness comes on? Where do you buy FRESH turmeric?

I was getting sick all the time too, after a stressful illness and surgeries (breast cancer). I would get a bad cold, or something like it, for weeks at a time. I started taking Immune-C (same thing as Emergen-C), which is a high level of C, with some B vitamins mixed in.

I have also tried to manage stress better and get plenty of sleep, and I exercise and walk regularly. I have not been sick since this May, when I started taking the Immune-C. So, I don't know if that's what's worked for me, or if I'm just handling the stress better, or if there are other factors.

I wish you the best with your health. Don't give up: keep trying until you find a solution.

I just got Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health and it's fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Rosemary-Gladstars-Herbal-Recipes-Vibrant/dp/1603420789/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1287760309&sr=8-1

You may want to take it out of the library and make some stuff up for yourself. It's all stuff like Peela posted. I'm raiding my gf's echinacea garden and stealing some roots for my own.

Edited by justamouse

Exercise will boost your immune system.

Over the long haul, yes, but at first it's going to tax her immune system which is why most people who start at the gym quit. They get that first cold or flu when their system is compromised from the exercise and never go back.

Walking is excellent, easy on the joints and shouldn't compromise your immune system.

Exercise will boost your immune system.

Over the long haul, yes, but at first it's going to tax her immune system which is why most people who start at the gym quit. They get that first cold or flu when their system is compromised from the exercise and never go back.

Walking is excellent, easy on the joints and shouldn't compromise your immune system.

I am exercising 6x a week. The exercise is essential because more distressing than the immune problems has been the fact that I'd become functionally disabled because of muscle weakness. I say that because as of last April, I could not vacuum my living room without it taking hours because I was so weak. I am lifting light weights (which is all I can handle - I started at 1 pound weights and am now up to 3 pounds) as well as some cardio. I am starting to build muscle and stamina but I do realize that it is drain on my immune system. But I am assured that it will help my immune system in the long run, so I'm soldiering on.

I guess I feel like I'm on this see-saw where I'm trying to balance those necessary things that drain my immune system (like exercise and homeschooling my kids;)) with those things that build me up (the supplements etc.). The see-saw is still threatening to become unbalanced on the illness side which is why I'm trying so hard to even it out without giving up those things that are important to me and my family. I do know that if I gave those things up, it would spring up but I'm rather stubborn in the thought of not wanting to.

OK - basic health history:

Fibromyalgia and assorted chronic symptoms for 20 years

Anti-parasitic treatment last summer which took a lot out of me but did seem to improve my health quite a bit - esp. the chronic pain.

After the treatment, my immune system was really weak. I got sick every time I left the house. I ended up getting infections that went from my ears to my eyes to my throat to my lungs (pneumonia). I was on successively stronger antibiotics for 5 weeks.

Since September (when I got over the pneumonia) I have not actually gotten sick, but every single time I leave the house to go to the store, church, gym etc. my lymph nodes are enlarged and I have a bad sore throat.

I am treating myself with elderberry extract, vitamin D (I take 10,000 IU a day), liquid vitamins for better absorption, high potency probiotics. Today I added oreganol softgels. Any other ideas? I can't go to another naturopathic Dr. right now (perhaps next month). My dh (an RN for what it's worth) is worried about me because he says that I have no reserve and if I'm exposed to something bad that I probably won't be able to fight it very well.

:grouphug:

My son has immune system issues. I'm glad you're doing the high dose D3. That is the absolute best thing.

I would be careful about the oreganol. I think it's wonderful for fighting an acute illness (or killing off many types of bad bacterias or yeast or etc.) but it's not good imo for preventative because it's a (natural) powerful antibiotic. You want that when you're sick. Outside of that you're killing off your good intestinal bacteria. I've looked into this a lot because we've used it to kill off known (cultured) bacterial overgrowths in my son successfully (post culture) but like all antibiotics it kills off the "good guys" too and you need those for your immune system. I know some people say it preserves the good or it's good for daily preventative but all my research and actual experience with my son led me in a different direction anyway.

My suggestion would be drop that oreganol (keep it for if you do catch something) and add a very high quality probiotic. Depending on what you used for the parasites (been there too with my son) the medication may have killed off your good bacteria as well. I like Klaire labs because they do a lot of research to make sure their probiotics will be potent. Also their probiotic strains are the colonizing type.

But for research based immune boosting probiotics nothing beats florastor and epicore in my opinion. My son takes Klaire because those can colonize and last and then florastor and epicore as well. You can google immune and epicore or florastor (or both) to see studies. We also do colostrum with him. I don't know which is better honestly (florastor or epicore) if you wanted to pick just one. They are non-colonizing so would die when you stop them. There is tons of research for them. Florastor has been "around" for a very long time so has more information out there.

Healthy food and plenty of quality sleep will help of course. My son does melatonin to help him fall asleep at night.

This is none of my business but I'm not sure what your other health issues are but as someone who had similar stuff myself I wanted to pass a long a couple of links.

It turns out I had an underlying metabolic thing causing my pain and fatigue among other issues. Here is a post I made for information about my son but it turns out my issues were the same and I added some information about other common adult type metabolic things as well. I don't know if they fit but they are finding that at least for some fibromyalgia patients there is an underlying metabolic issue and the other things make me think metabolics as well (though I don't know what they are/just going from my own experience). Anyway, in metabolics there is treatment so I wanted to pass it along. I have been helped a lot by treating the metabolics (and a vitamin D deficiency).

I found great help correcting this as well along with some other things related to it that I never dreamed existed. There was a post recently on a sleep board about a device I'm using that has helped me so much. My post/experience is the Rachelle.

I'm feeling a little weird because I'm giving all this unsolicited when all you wanted is immune system advice and it may not apply at all. But I feel better than I have in all my adult life by so very much that I want to pass it along in case it applies essentially.

:grouphug:

Edited by sbgrace

Thought of something else: Alpha Lipoic Acid. Don't know if it's been mentioned yet. It's an antioxidant but does quite a bit - for me anyway. Also, cod liver oil. Nordic and Carlson brands were recommended to me by my doc. Since you are already taking Vit D, I would choose the cod liver oil without the additional D that some contain.

what do you do with this? Store it in a covered jar and then strain? Do you take some daily or only as illness comes on? Where do you buy FRESH turmeric?

I can get fresh turmeric in the stores here nowadays- looks like miniature ginger, but its a lvoely orange on the inside. But if you cant find it...leave it out.

You take a tablespoon or two in the morning or a couple of times a day (if you feel a cold coming on, take several times a day- you cant really overdose. For preventative, take once a day). Its strong stuff. You can strain it after a week or two if you like, or just take some of the solution off the top and leave it stewing.

Jean, have you tried juice fasting for three days? Have you, as others suggested, cut out sugar, flour products, processed and refined foods, dairy, eggs, most meat; even if it is just for a short time?

You say you are cleansing the bowel, great, but clean your liver and gall bladder too with herbs. After doing that for a week, start a blood cleanser.

Jean, have you tried juice fasting for three days? Have you, as others suggested, cut out sugar, flour products, processed and refined foods, dairy, eggs, most meat; even if it is just for a short time?

You say you are cleansing the bowel, great, but clean your liver and gall bladder too with herbs. After doing that for a week, start a blood cleanser.

Ginger - I've already done a gall bladder detox and I'm doing a liver detox right now along with the colon. I have pretty severe adrenal problems which means that I have to keep my blood sugar even or I can't even get out of bed. I don't think I could handle a juice fast. I could be wrong, though.

I'll throw this out there...Grapefruit Seed Extract...and it's cheap.

:iagree:

Sugar is an immune suppressor, so if you haven't already, cut back on it.

:iagree:

We're starting a new regimen: (continue previous weeks supplement and add 1 new supplement each week)

Week 1: Acidolphilus - 3x/day for 1 month

Week 2: Grapefruit Seed Extract

Week 3: Reduce sugar & carbs - increase protein

Week 4: Minerals (magnesium)

Week 5: Vitamin B Complex 100 mg ea

Week 6: Essential Fatty Acids (500 mg DHA, 1300 mg. Evening Primrose Oil, 100 IU Vitamin E)

Week 7: Lecithin

This should reset the ecology in the gut and heal the mucosa in the tract -- which is directly linked to the immune system.

Here's one article that reviews a lot of studies on both animals and humans and suggests 1-2 grams per day for 5-10 days.

While I have harvested some of my Echinacea root and have plans to try an elixir of it, I haven't gotten around to doing that yet. I do tend to think that liquid form is the best delivery method.

We found a Yogi tea that contains Echinacea several years ago and we really like it, so if we're drinking hot tea in the morning, that's the one we tend to choose. That's not every morning, but I'd say it's 2-3 times a week during cold weather - sometimes more. When we feel we're starting to get sick, we will make a point of drinking up to 2-3 cups a day for a few days.

We haven't measured how much we're using, really, or used it daily over long periods of time. It's just part of our overall plan for staying healthy, so I can't say whether one component or another of that plan has been more beneficial. All of them together have served our family well, however (and my college son is now beginning to share remedies with his hall fellows, LOL....)

Something else that is very inexpensive: Garlic and ginger. My mother told me that you increase the potency of garlic 40-fold when you combine it with ginger.

I am thinking any veggie that can be sauteed could have both in it.

I'll probably be thinking of more as time goes on. I can keep this thread alive single handedly for weeks. :)

How regular? I had heard that it loses it's efficacy if you drink it too much.

Jean, that is correct. Having a week's break every 2-3 weeks on echinacea is good, otherwise it does lose its effectiveness. But if you take breaks it works well, apparently. I am so hopeless at remembering to take my supplements that taking breaks is never an issue :)

Jean, that is correct. Having a week's break every 2-3 weeks on echinacea is good, otherwise it does lose its effectiveness. But if you take breaks it works well, apparently. I am so hopeless at remembering to take my supplements that taking breaks is never an issue :)

Thanks, Peela. I had to laugh at the supplements comment - that can be an issue for me too;)