Menu

s/o fave shows as kid - do YOUR kids like them?

the thread about fave tv shows that we all had 'back in the day' :p made me wonder - do your own kids like those old shows? i have all the seasons of macgyver on dvd and dd13 enjoys watching them with me - i tried her with beauty & the beast but she said it was boring (booo!)... she likes knight rider as well... haven't got airwolf on dvd yet....

(ds12 has special needs and doesn't enjoy tv shows - hence why it's just dd13 that i'm talking about here)

anyway - if you have dvd sets (or have channels that show them/sites/etc), do your kids like them at all?

i find it kinda funny that dd13 will watch macgyver and then watch vampire diaries. two generations collide. :laugh:

(she also likes some before 'her' time but no exactly 'old' shows as well - she's a huge fan of "friends" - gag, i never did like that show - and watches 'married with children' with her father.. double gag LOL .. not my thing at all. i've never been one for sitcoms really. she's got his sense of humour!)

anyway ~ how about yours? dramas, sitcoms, whatever. do your kids like the stuff you loved way back or do they roll their eyes at the lame? :tongue_smilie:

My dds love, love, love all the old shows. They've watched all Little House on the Prairie, Cosby Show and Punky Brewster. They're working through Full House, Gilligan's Island, Flipper and Bewitched.

They've actually said they prefer the old tv shows to any of the new ones they've seen on tv or through Netflix.

My kids aren't allowed to watch a lot of the shows I watched growing up lol. My mom wasn't discerning about the crime dramas I was allowed to watch.

But they love DH's shows - Battlestar Gallactica (the old version), Buck Rogers, Knight Rider, Banana Splits, Transformers, etc. They are 3 peas in a pod!

They aren't big fans of Little House, no matter how much I try to make them watch and love it.

For the most part, my kids have liked many of the tv shows and movies I loved when I was younger. Just last night, we watched about 8 episodes of Night Court. Talk about 80s!!! Dd12 also loves Golden Girls. And we just finished watching one of DH's favorite series, Max Headroom. I think they've pretty much liked everything we've shared with them. The only one that didn't go over too well was Lost in Space. It was boring.

sure. my kids love shows that i enjoyed when i was younger (and still enjoy most of them now too).

punky brewster, leave it to beaver, andy griffith show, silver spoons, and of course little house on the prairie. my kids also love tom & jerry, strawberry shortcake, care bears, and smurfs.

i could probably think of more. but i'm going to bed now. i'm tired:)

oh. pippi longstocking! i watched that movie when i was in elementary school & my kids love it too! there is a newer pippi longstocking movie that they love as well.

I missed the other thread, but my girls love most of the shows I loved growing up. They are really into Full House right now, and I'm surprised at how bratty those little girls are! I don't remember them being so bratty, lol.

They love Little House, The Three Stooges, The Cosby Show, Happy Days, and Bewitched, along with a bunch of the old cartoons. I need to find them some Punky Brewster episodes to watch. Do you guys watch those on TV or through Netflix?

I missed the other thread, but my girls love most of the shows I loved growing up. They are really into Full House right now, and I'm surprised at how bratty those little girls are! I don't remember them being so bratty, lol.

They love Little House, The Three Stooges, The Cosby Show, Happy Days, and Bewitched, along with a bunch of the old cartoons. I need to find them some Punky Brewster episodes to watch. Do you guys watch those on TV or through Netflix?

We watch Punky through DVD's with Netflix but I've also seen many of the episodes on DVD at Target for around $5. My dds have been watching Full House lately as well and I had obviously also blocked the girls' attitudes.:D

My kids love I Dream of Jeannie and The Cosby Show. I was telling them about Gilligan's Island one day and they all agreed that it sounded goofy. (They get that from their father!!) They prefer older cartoons: Tom and Jerry, Voltron, Looney Toons, Smurfs, Jetsons, Flintstones.... to today's cartoons. They have watched a good bit of Full House. This summer they met Eb from Green Acres and that sparked a run of watching it. My youngest will watch Beverly Hillbillies if his brothers aren't around to make fun. (why that is worth making fun of and not others is beyond me:001_huh:)

** Stooges!! We watch a LOT of Stooges on Hulu. My youngest also loves Erroll Flynn movies. He pretends his Peter Pan costume is a Robin Hood costume.

Edited by mrsrevmeg
forgot something

I always loved Fat Albert. LLL likes it, PDG really, really doesn't.

I've tried to get them to watch Leave it to Beaver, but they won't even give it a try because it's "grey" (black and white).

PDG is taking after me, and really likes sci-fi. She likes old Star Trek, was obsessed with the old Land of the Lost for a while.

I showed LLL some Cosby Show clips the other day and she thought it was pretty funny.

Only the offbeat ones like WKRP, Dr. Who, The Good Neighbors...

We do enjoy watching the old Star Treks, but only because they're so very, very bad.

I forgot about Night Court. I should see if that's on Hulu.

However, there weren't a lot of TV shows I remember from my childhood. My mom wasn't keen on us watching much. Mostly the TV was on for such fun shows as Washington Week in Review. I did finally get to watch some of Happy Days reruns when my kids were up in the middle of the night as babies. So at least I know what it was all about.

They have gotten into I Dream of Jeannie and Green Acres because they were some of my husband's favorite shows, but they watch those when I'm not home. (So what are they hiding?)