Menu

Does it sound like I can substitute quinoa for couscous in this recipe?

I accidentally bought quinoa instead of couscous. :( I have all the other ingredients and can't get to the store to get couscous before they go bad. I've never had it before; it was from this old thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212277&highlight=recipes+things+delicious&page=4

Couscous Salad

2 cups dry couscous, prepared

2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed

3/4 c. fresh lemon juice

2 Tbs. olive oil

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 c. finely chopped red onion

5 c. chopped tomato

1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley

1/2 c. chopped fresh mint

1/2 c. chopped fresh dill

2 c. chopped seeded cucumber

salt and pepper to taste

Just put it in a giant bowl and mix it all up.

It will be a great salad. One tip. Once cooked, remove the quinoa from the cooking pot and let cool in a bowl before adding any olive oil. And then dress lightly with oil and lemon juice. Warm quinoa can absorb too much oil.

Otherwise, it will be a great salad.

Bill

So I cook the quinoa first?

I know I soak and rinse it first, but then how do I cook it? No package directions-bought organic quinoa in bulk.

I will cool it down first too, thanks, Bill.

I hope it won't taste too strong. I will try it. My only other on-hand option is bulgar wheat and that may be too wheat-y tasting.

THANKS!

Basic Quinoa Recipe - Ingredients:

• 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 1/2 cups cold water
  • Optional: 1/2 tsp salt

Quinoa Cooking Directions:

1. Soak the quinoa for 15 min in the cooking pot. Soaking helps quinoa to cook evenly, and loosens up the outer coating of saponin, which can give a bitter taste if not removed
  2. If you don't have time for a longer soaking, use hot water and soak for five minutes
  3. To Rinse: Stir the quinoa with your hand, and carefully pour off the rinsing water, using a fine mesh strainer at the last
  4. Drain quinoa well in the strainer, transfer to the cooking pot, add 1 1/2 cups water & 1/2 tsp salt if desired
  5. Bring to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn the heat down to simmer
  6. Cook for 15 minutes
  7. Remove quinoa from heat and allow to sit five minutes with the lid on
  8. Fluff quinoa gently with a fork and serve
  9. Quinoa is delicious by itself or with any of the recipes listed above

Easier to cut&paste than write it out lol

So I cook the quinoa first?

I know I soak and rinse it first, but then how do I cook it? No package directions-bought organic quinoa in bulk.

I will cool it down first too, thanks, Bill.

I hope it won't taste too strong. I will try it. My only other on-hand option is bulgar wheat and that may be too wheat-y tasting.

THANKS!

Just to be sure to minimize any "strong taste", wash and rinse the quinoa well first (get in there with your fingers and slosh it around). Most domestic quinoa doesn't really need this treatment, but just in case...do it.

Then cook it like rice. About 1.5 to 1 water to quinoa. It only takes about 12-15 minutes. You don't want it mushy.

Bill