Menu

On the search for a music teacher-What questions to ask?

RainbowSprinkles

My 5 yo is starting soon too. We've gone on recs and "vibe" LOL. Of course, our small town only has 2 violin teachers....

Would love to hear how much others pay...

I live in Alaska, everything is so expensive here! Even music lessons. Last year when I looked into piano lessons the prices started at $27 per half hour. It's crazy!! Luckily we're moving next summer :)

As a music teacher myself, I would recommend that you (not in order of importance):

1. Ask for an interview,

2. Be sure to get an official studio policy,

3. Check out any available website before calling (often studio policies and prices are posted on a website), look for professional affiliations (music teacher's national association, etc) and education (at least a BM in music, better yet, a MM in pedagogy or education!)

4. Attend a recital of current students (we're nearing the time for Winter Recitals...)

5. Watch for the way the teacher communicates with your child.

6. Be willing to pay at least a little extra for a well educated teacher. A GOOD teacher spends much more time teaching your child than just the lesson time-slot. He/she will spend time researching repertoire, preparing the lesson plan, reviewing his/her own performance during lessons, etc.

7. Read Developing Talent in Young People

Best of luck!

Ask how long they have been teaching.

Ask what their musical educational philosophy is..Suzuki or Orff for example.

Ask what their expectation of your child will be. For example, do they expect a 60 min practice a day from a 5 year old or a 10 min practice?

Do they want you to sit in for lessons or do they want you to drop off and go away?

How often do students perform and what is their expectation? What if your child doesn't want to perform?

What do they expect from you? Do they see you as the home instructor or do they expect you to be hands off?

I don't think any of these has a 'right' answer. It depends on what you want and need. If you want to sit in for lessons so you can supervise home practice then you don't want a teacher who expects you to drop off and go away. OTOH, I know lots of parents who need to be able to drop a child off at music lessons so they can go pick up another child and don't have the time to sit in and listen to a lesson.

I am not a music teacher but I have 6 years of being the parent to a musician under my belt. I now have two kids in lessons. Both play piano and one has started flute. The teachers are very different and have very different requirements.

Ask how long they have been teaching.

Ask what their musical educational philosophy is..Suzuki or Orff for example.

Ask what their expectation of your child will be. For example, do they expect a 60 min practice a day from a 5 year old or a 10 min practice?

Do they want you to sit in for lessons or do they want you to drop off and go away?

How often do students perform and what is their expectation? What if your child doesn't want to perform?

What do they expect from you? Do they see you as the home instructor or do they expect you to be hands off?

I don't think any of these has a 'right' answer. It depends on what you want and need. If you want to sit in for lessons so you can supervise home practice then you don't want a teacher who expects you to drop off and go away. OTOH, I know lots of parents who need to be able to drop a child off at music lessons so they can go pick up another child and don't have the time to sit in and listen to a lesson.

I am not a music teacher but I have 6 years of being the parent to a musician under my belt. I now have two kids in lessons. Both play piano and one has started flute. The teachers are very different and have very different requirements.

Good questions, thank you!

As a music teacher myself, I would recommend that you (not in order of importance):

1. Ask for an interview,

2. Be sure to get an official studio policy,

3. Check out any available website before calling (often studio policies and prices are posted on a website), look for professional affiliations (music teacher's national association, etc) and education (at least a BM in music, better yet, a MM in pedagogy or education!)

4. Attend a recital of current students (we're nearing the time for Winter Recitals...)

5. Watch for the way the teacher communicates with your child.

6. Be willing to pay at least a little extra for a well educated teacher. A GOOD teacher spends much more time teaching your child than just the lesson time-slot. He/she will spend time researching repertoire, preparing the lesson plan, reviewing his/her own performance during lessons, etc.

7. Read Developing Talent in Young People

Best of luck!

Thanks, I probably wouldn't have thought of most of the things you suggested :)

I'd encourage you to consider a suzuki teacher.

One reliable way to start the search is the teacher referral at SAA

http://suzukiassociation.org/teachers/teacherloc/

Beyond that, look for rapport with young children. Ask to observe (with your dd) a lesson with a similarly aged child who is in their first year or so of lessons. Listen, watch. . .

If you have the luxury of multiple teachers to choose from, then definitely meet more than one, and observe lessons at each if at all possible.

Questions to ask:

- how long have you been teaching?

- how many students do you teach each week?

- do you offer group lessons? concerts - group as well as individual?

- what materials do you teach with? why do you choose those books?

- at what age do you prefer your students to begin lessons, ideally? why?

- what are your practice expectations? (time, frequency)

- do you teach lessons over the summer? holidays? how many weeks per year do you stop lessons?

- do your students participate in community orchestras? school orchestras? how do you feel about that?

- what are your expectations of the parent? for the lesson? for writing practice charts? for helping with practice? etc?

- would it be OK for me to bring younger sibs to lessons? what are your expectations of ME and the SIBS during lessons?

- fee structure? how do you handle cancellations?

. . .

more questions will occur to you as you observe lessons.

FWIW, in my years of being a music mom, I have found that the keys to success for young kids include:

+ daily practice. every single day (only exceptions are away-from-home-all-day days, ideally at least 6 days of practice every week)

+ listening to the reference music (suzuki mainly) and/or listening to true artists frequently (esp. for advanced students)

+ encouragement from attentive parent(s) via listening, applauding, helping make practice charts, playing games, rewarding practice, taking to concerts of artists, etc

+ an awesome teacher who inspires and encourages the student

So far as teacher specific things:

+ good rapport with YOUR child

+ love/passion for their instrument

+ love/passion for teaching

We have had a nice handful of amazing teachers over the years. All share those three traits. I gladly drive long distances and pay top rates for excellence in teachers. It is so worth it!

Enjoy!

HTH

I'd encourage you to consider a suzuki teacher.

FWIW, in my years of being a music mom, I have found that the keys to success for young kids include:

+ daily practice. every single day (only exceptions are away-from-home-all-day days, ideally at least 6 days of practice every week)

+ listening to the reference music (suzuki mainly) and/or listening to true artists frequently (esp. for advanced students)

+ encouragement from attentive parent(s) via listening, applauding, helping make practice charts, playing games, rewarding practice, taking to concerts of artists, etc

+ an awesome teacher who inspires and encourages the student

So far as teacher specific things:

+ good rapport with YOUR child

+ love/passion for their instrument

+ love/passion for teaching

We have had a nice handful of amazing teachers over the years. All share those three traits. I gladly drive long distances and pay top rates for excellence in teachers. It is so worth it!

Enjoy!

HTH

:iagree:

Yes!

You've gotten a lot of good questions in the previous posts. I would also ask if the teacher is currently playing himself. Does he participate in an orchestra or chamber group? How is he currently improving his own musical ability? I've found that it's very important to find a teacher who is passionate about music for himself and not just teaching elementary repertoire in order to make a few bucks. Find a professional musician (one who at some point of his life has made at least part of his living by performing) if at all possible.