Menu

I can see the headline - homeschooled children taken to court for playing outside ...

We had our monthly boys' literature discussion group today. After a lively discussion, all the boys went outside to play on this nice day. Well, apparently, one of the boys tossed a football and threw it too far and it hit a bystander - a lady walking her dog. The boy who threw the ball quickly apologized. She angrily insisted to talk to an adult and proceeded to chew us out for allowing children to play in the front yard (it is a large yard - perfect for playing,) muttering under her breath that those kids should be in school (it was 2:45 in the afternoon - around the time many kids are home from school.) All the kids came forward and apologized to this woman and the moms did also. She seemed to grudgingly accept our apology and left.

Well, my friend who hosted this event got a visit from a police officer. Apparently, this woman called the cops when she got home to file a complaint. The officer took a statement from my friend and said that it should go no further, but who knows.

For crying out loud - it was an accident. The kids involved took responsibility and were polite. The adults were polite. The kids were scared because this woman went totally ape$#!& on them over an accident. If she were walking by a playground (where she said the kids should have been if they were done with school - not a private family's yard), the same accident could have happened.

I was letting this go, but now, I am really mad. Take a chill pill lady. Yep... I can just see the headlines - Children must not play in front yards ... Homeschooled kids are a menace to society.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is one more reason why my boys don't get to play outside until after 12:00. We have enough nosey neighbors and one problem neighbor whom we don't want to give anymore reason to begrudge us our opportunity than already happens. *sigh* Mean people stink.

Not too far from the truth!

In the neighbouring neighbourhood (does that make sense? It's a couple of streets away, but technically a different city) a dad was fined for playing street hockey with a bunch of neighbourhood kids. They were playing on a little crescent street (no homeschool kids though) but were too noisy and deemed a 'traffic disturbance' (on a crescent street in the suburb??? we're not talking boulevard here!) And it's street HOCKEY. We're in Canada last time I checked!

The dad is fighting the fine, so it is indeed in court, for having kids play outside.

Murphy's Law.

The one time you unchain your kids from their basement dungeon, something like this happens.....tsk tsk.

:lol::lol::lol:

ETA: What a *****! Talk about a bully, seriously she's never had an accident in her life?

Edited by elegantlion

1. Maybe she's a real shrew and a horrible person.

2. Maybe there are other kids in the neighborhood who are serious delinquents and have caused her to over-react to THIS situation?

I can't think of any other reasons for her behavior. It stinks that the kids and parents were slapped in the face after responding reasonably-with apologies, etc. :grouphug:

Well. Sigh. If she's like the crazy neighbor we had years ago, the police all know her and mock her behind her back. I mean, WHO calls the police over a bunch of kids playing in the yard?!? ... Someone needs to take that woman some brownies. ... special happy, mellow brownies...

Well. Sigh. If she's like the crazy neighbor we had years ago, the police all know her and mock her behind her back. I mean, WHO calls the police over a bunch of kids playing in the yard?!? ... Someone needs to take that woman some brownies. ... special happy, mellow brownies...

You know, we would love to kill her with kindness, but we don't know who she is or where she lives. My friend, who knows all her neighbors and most of the dog walkers, had never seen her before. I guess we all will know if a formal report was indeed filed.

Thanks to everyone for the cyber support. Glad to know I'm not the crazy one.

Woohoohahahahaha

That could get you sent to jail though.

:lol:

Things like this just make me angry at our society - where people think that it's somehow their business and have to get the police involved. This is why so many parents are so paranoid these days - because random people judge your parenting on a level they've never done before.

WOW! LOL Just...wow! Some people just really shock me. The police department is probably use to hearing from her if she is that cranky and crazy.

Kurmudgeon: "Hello! I want to report an accident! I was hit with a football by a child before school was out.

Police: "Hi Bertha. What happened this time. Did a snaping turtle get your toe again? Oh wait, your neighbor didn't cover the hole in their yard and you fell in...again?...Oh...a football hit you while kids were playing in their front yard. Yeah, yeah. We'll send someone down."

Police Dispatcher to Police Man: "Harry, Bertha called again."

Harry: "Oh heck, tell her I am on my way. They don't pay me enough for this crap!"

Edited by Tree House Academy

WOW! LOL Just...wow! Some people just really shock me. The police department is probably use to hearing from her if she is that cranky and crazy.

Kurmudgeon: "Hello! I want to report an accident! I was hit with a football by a child before school was out.

Police: "Hi Bertha. What happened this time. Did a snaping turtle get your toe again? Oh wait, your neighbor didn't cover the hole in their yard and you fell in...again?...Oh...a football hit you while kids were playing in their front yard. Yeah, yeah. We'll send someone down."

Harry: "Oh heck, tell her I am on my way. They don't pay me enough for this crap!"

:lol::lol::lol:

Some people seem to think that children should always be in school and never out in public. I once had a 7:00 am appointment, so I had to bring my dc because my dh was already at work. The pt knew they were coming and was okay with it (they just sat quietly near me and read), but the receptionist kept telling me that they should be in school. I pointed out that it was 7:00 am and schools were not open yet. She was adamant that my dc should be in school at that moment. Crazy lady.

Perhaps if you explained to the woman that they were on break after working an 8 hr. shift in your basement sweatshop, she'd be more understanding? LOL:lol:

I actually did use that one once to a snarky waiter at mom's night out. He asked if our children got to play with other children....not just each other's. I answered, "Yes, just as soon as their shift in the sweat shop is done!"

Sorry you had to deal with a meanie....seems to be going around these days.

J

After 13 years on the streets as a paramedic very little about people shocks me. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the cops are used to her.

This is priceless...and hits a wee bit too close to home. There is a person in my district who constantly calls EMS to "take my blood pressure" because "my {spouse} is trying to hurt me". [spouse isn't]. When we [my partner, my firefighters, and I] hear "1234 Anywhere St" a conversation not unlike what you wrote happens. Except there is a lot more cursing, wailing, gnashing of teeth, and rending of garments. :tongue_smilie:

Ellen, sorry your having to deal with this. Hopefully, the report is filed in the circular file where it belongs.

I think about this sometimes because my boys play outside all the time during the day. It is normal for me to give them a 20 minute break in between subjects and they will often hop on their bikes or skateboards. The neighbors probably think we never actually school. :D But I know that my duck are in order, that I have my NOI, required test scores, and paperwork, if needed.

As for the football....It must be the full moon. We had a lady go nuts the other night because she got hit with a football. ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD during practice. Seriously! I think she was actually was embarrassed, and instead of just feeling it, got angry. People are strange.