Menu

Questions about Sheldon's PLL

Rene'

Is Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons intended to be used alone by the child or orally with the parent? I notice on Lesson 1 that initially the font is large, and then it gets small, and I wondered if the smaller font was for the parent to read to the child.

Also, should these Language Lessons be done daily?

We do these lessons orally most of the time. If the lesson suggests to do five of *this type of sentence* and five of *that type of sentence*, and so on, I just ask for two. I teach the lessons and use some of the *small print* as a kind of script to go by. I illustrate the lessons on a dry erase board, then let my child work through the exercises. We have always enjoyed using Sheldon's PLL, and we work with it three or four times a week. I sometimes spend extra time on some lessons, giving extra reinforcement exercises that I make up.

• 5 months later...

So I'm looking for suggestions on vintage (online) resources for compiling a solid education in the Language Arts for my young ones. I found a speller and a phonics spine that I want to use, but I'm curious if anyone has found success with Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons (and has any input on how it compares with First Language Lessons). I'm also curious to know if there is a good, vintage alternative to Writing With Ease.

Also, I'm guessing there aren't teacher guides/answers for things like Sheldon's. Does that make it harder to teach?

Thanks!! :)