Menu

In need of info regarding meds for inattentive ADD

I need a Meds101 course. :001_smile: We are going to the doctor next week; she'll likely write a script for us. But, what should I know beforehand? What are the different types/class of meds? What are their reputations? Is there something that is better for a 14 year old who just needs help focusing (inattentive ADD)?

Thanks.

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/tc/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd-medications

I know this includes the "h" part that your dc doesn't have, but it seems to cover both. WebMd usually does a pretty good job covering the basics.

After you get the script - and before you fill it - do more in depth research. Many of the drugs out there prescribed to kids have not actually been thouroughly tested for pediatric use, and long term side effects in children may be unknown.

My ds is on Vyvanse and it is working wonderfully well for him. Check you state laws - here in FL, doctors cannot just write a prescription for Class II Narcotics. We found out the hard way!;)

Vyvanse started for children and *then* was approved for adults. We have to go to the pscyh every month, have an actual visit, and then get the prescription (there are no refills.) Every doctor we talked to does it the same way here.

I'd try a nonstimulant first, to see if that helps. Strattera (Intuniv wasn't out yet) helped my son focus but didn't help the hyperactivity. Since you don't have the hyperactivity issue, I'd give that a shot. The nonstimulants also tend to have fewer side effects, and you can typically get a script with refills.

Just my two cents' worth :)

I went back and forth for a long time before I put my son on meds-it was a hard decision for me--zach is 7 1/2 and has been on vyvanse for about 3 months now.....so far no real side effects other than some nights he has a hard time going to sleep and winding down from the day.....and sometimes it's a fight to get him to take his meds (either mixed in a drink or pudding/yogurt)---

We've found that Adderall once in the morning (short acting) really helps my 14yo son focus. Like your son, he also just has the inattentive issues.

I like the stimulants because they are short acting. You know when they work and a few hours later they're gone. Strattera is similar to antidepressants like Prozac or Celexa, and it takes time to reach an effective level. And as with antidepressants, you need to be careful to come off it slowly. Several years ago my son took Celexa for anxiety and coming off it was really bad. I don't want to take a chance with Strattera.

We've found that Adderall once in the morning (short acting) really helps my 14yo son focus. Like your son, he also just has the inattentive issues.

I like the stimulants because they are short acting. You know when they work and a few hours later they're gone. Strattera is similar to antidepressants like Prozac or Celexa, and it takes time to reach an effective level. And as with antidepressants, you need to be careful to come off it slowly. Several years ago my son took Celexa for anxiety and coming off it was really bad. I don't want to take a chance with Strattera.

Well, that seals the deal. I was on Prozac a couple of years ago for a short while; Getting on and getting off was terrible. And I did it SLOWLY. I wouldn't wish that on my son, unless necessary.

Thank you. :001_smile:

Hi- I have a teen that was put on various meds over the years- Conerta and Adderal XR time release being the ones that worked the best.

At 12/13 he refused to take them anymore meds- he told the doctor he was tired of being a zombie- Because we decided to homeschool him at 11/12- I said lets try it... while he is still very impulsive- we worked with an OT and a counselor and it has gone fairly well. He is now 17 and is sucessfully holding down 2 part time jobs and is still doing his online school...The biggest thing I noticed was he would actually sleep at night not get up at 1-2 and wander or eat once the adderal was out of his system (a side note- there are a lot of generics out there that are cheaper- we found that the generics did not work as well to control the behaviors nor help him focus and we were constantly have to increase his meds at least 1x every 6 months to a year or adding another med to help with the side effects) I know you made reference to stratera yes it is an anti-depresent however it is less harmful on the body's system than adderal over time and both you have to obtain a blood level for... the other thing about the Ridalin based drugs is the sleep deprivation over the long run which gets worse over time... so then your child starts taking sleep meds too...Depakote is usually prescribed and it is an anti-seizure med...

For us the loss of weight and lack of growth along with the sleep issues were enough to look at vitamins and a vigerous behavior plan...I know not everyone has the luxary of working with a cooperative school like we had in elementary that had built in social skills classes which were great-but you also have to think of down the road-is this something we want to start and have him take for the rest of his life-will he be able to maintain it as an adult.....will insurance cover it as he gets older or on his own...

The more vigerous and structured behavior program you can get them into when they are young the better off you will be when they are teens and young adults...

I hope this helps - good luck - I really wish there was an "easy cure" - Lisa:)

The more vigerous and structured behavior program you can get them into when they are young the better off you will be when they are teens and young adults...

I hope this helps - good luck - I really wish there was an "easy cure" - Lisa:)

...talk to me about, "vigorous and structured behavior program" Pretty please? :) In your experience, what has been the most effective (and practical)?

If you have much to say, maybe you could just post it to a new thread...?

Geo

Edited by Geo

My dd has ADD and takes Concerta. It is helping her SO much - both with finishing/understanding schoolwork and also with managing LIFE.

My son is also on it for ADHD, and has been for four years (he worked up to a decently high dose in the first year and has stayed there every since). I have no complaints other than neither of them wants to eat much lunch, so we make sure they get good breakfasts, dinners & sometimes late snacks. I like that it lasts about 10-12 hours so it gets them through most of the day but is super easy to stop if for any reason you needed to.

Most of the stimulants are closely related but have a slightly different mechanism. Some have time-release capsules (like Focalin, I think) while others have special coatings (like Concerta). The prescribing doctor likely has a good handle on what works for the most people. Ours favors Concerta and I'm happy with it.

There are some non-stimulant medications that are prescribed for ADD/ADHD. I am familiar with Clonidine (my son takes it at night for insomnia but some kids take it in the morning - personally I think it acts more like a sedative so I wouldn't choose it as a first choice). There is also Strattera but our neuro was concerned about liver problems. There may be more.

Edited by ondreeuh

Have you tried some other non-prescription ideas first? Some things that have really helped us:

Fish oil. I've read that the best ratio of EPA to DHA for kids with ADD or ADHD is 7 to 1--I know OmegaBrite has one that is 7:1. We're using Nordic Naturals that have a 4 to 1 ratio and these are helping. (there are different kinds so you have to check the label--they have some that are only 2:1).

Another supplement that has really helped my son is Teen Active. He actually has told me he feels better when he takes it.

Structuring our day with things like workboxes has really helped to, with both focus and organization.

Anyway...just some other things you might try. Hope you find the best solution for your son! Merry :-)