Menu

What do you let your children eat that others may be appalled by.

We eat pretty healthy at home, but when we're out and about, we LOVE burgers, fries and shakes. :D Smashburger, What-a-Burger, Steak 'n Shake and a little local place called "Burgers N More" are always crowd pleasers. The latter has hot dogs with chili and cheese, and my 8 year-old son can put away 2-3 of those at a time. I was horrified/awed the first time he downed 2 chili dogs and asked for a 3rd. :tongue_smilie:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty much everything. I mean there are some days I just need a bowl of fruit loops and so I buy them and we all sit down to a snack of fruit loops. Or fruity pebbles. Tonight I made hotdog stew. With the nitrates in them, not the non nitrate kind ;). It's a family comfort dish my MIL taught me to make and every once in a while we need it. :D Hmm, what else. I let them eat candy, cake, cookies, I make waffles and ice cream almost every Sunday night. They get hot chocolate and marshmallows every afternoon in the cooler months as a snack. With graham crackers. About once every few months we stop for Micky Ds. Pannetone.

I really don't deny them much as long as it's within reason. We eat pretty clean most of the time.

Edited by justamouse

My son also loves beef jerky. I just hate buying it, but every now and then I'll give in. :tongue_smilie:

My brother makes me the most delish venison jerky after he's been hunting. OMG, my daughter and I fought over a bag. And she ate them all on me. :confused:

Edited by justamouse

I let my kids lick the beaters when I make cake or brownie batter and they all love raw cookie dough. Yum!

We eat very healthy foods here at home but when we eat out I let them get whatever they want. It's usually something breaded and deep fried, washed down with something carbonated.

...and paper. My 2yo eats paper. I usually just pretend that I don't notice and keep an eye on him to make sure he's just nibbling. I wouldn't want the little dear to choke, of course!

Ramen noodles with the seasoning packet (now they just use 1/2)

Pop tarts - dh buys these

Spaghetti O's

Sugar Pops - dh again

Cocoa Puffs - me, I love them

Jif Peanut Butter

Those frozen pastry struedel things - especially the ones with cream cheese

None of these are a staple in our house and are not the norm. Still, we do enjoy our junk on occasion.

Or a Yankee? :)

'To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.

To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.

To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.

To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.

To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.

And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.'

--attributed to EB White

As the story goes, my great-grandmother made my great-grandfather pie almost every morning for breakfast. He was from New Hampshire. Lived way into his 90s.

do you remember bill cosby & the cake skit??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRmN4KnfPxQ

I didn't even have to watch the video to know what you meant - Dad is great! Gives us chocolate cake! : )

Our appalling secret:

"Morning Day Chocolates" (what dd calls them) = 2 Hershey's kisses each morning; what can I say? chocolate makes her happy!

pretty much everything. I mean there are some days I just need a bowl of fruit loops and so I buy them and we all sit down to a snack of fruit loops. Or fruity pebbles. Tonight I made hotdog stew. With the nitrates in them, not the non nitrate kind ;). It's a family comfort dish my MIL taught me to make and every once in a while we need it. :D Hmm, what else. I let them eat candy, cake, cookies, I make waffles and ice cream almost every Sunday night. They get hot chocolate and marshmallows every afternoon in the cooler months as a snack. With graham crackers. About once every few months we stop for Micky Ds. Pannetone.

I really don't deny them much as long as it's within reason. We eat pretty clean most of the time.

Yummy...could I have the recipe??

I'm pretty open on what I let the kids have...in moderation. Maybe twice a month, I'll buy a bag of chips, they eat pizza rolls and bagel bites for lunch about once per week. OTOH, we have healthy snacks on hand too. Like carrots, apples, oranges. They eat mixed veggies (like brocolli/carrots/califlower and lettuce. Ummm, they have candy for a treat about once/month and I rarely buy pop. Although, they do get it if we eat out (which isn't often).

I don't think escargot or sushi are that weird. There is a sushi place on every block here!

Yes, I think "weirdness" depends on where you live. It wasn't weird at all to see children eating sushi when we lived in Japan. Now we live in a small town in the south where the children live on chicken nuggets. Even the wait staff at the Japanese restaurant are surprised when dd orders sashimi.

We recently went on a "homeschool cruise" and escargot was offered at dinner one night. Of the 12 people at our table, half being adults, dd and I were the only ones who ordered them. It was met with a lot of "eewwwww"s when it arrived.

Yes, I think "weirdness" depends on where you live. It wasn't weird at all to see children eating sushi when we lived in Japan. Now we live in a small town in the south where the children live on chicken nuggets. Even the wait staff at the Japanese restaurant are surprised when dd orders sashimi.

We recently went on a "homeschool cruise" and escargot was offered at dinner one night. Of the 12 people at our table, half being adults, dd and I were the only ones who ordered them. It was met with a lot of "eewwwww"s when it arrived.

We went out to eat with a bunch of adults for Valentine's Day one of our friends didn't eat half of the items on the fixed menu, including DELICIOUS abalone in garlic butter with apple slaw, oh my gosh, they were so good!

Okay, here is another bad admission: we have frito chili pie for lunch about once a month!

While we tend to eat healthy foods for meals (not always), I do not restrict what my kids eat otherwise. They can eat what they want. Of course, I don't buy too much unhealthy expensive snacks, but we do have some in the house. We also eat fast food occasionally - and like it!

None of my three are overweight or have any health issues so I see no need to restrict what they eat when they go places. I even regularly stock marshmallows for my youngest (and our dog who also loves them as a treat) and ingredients to make nachos for my middle son. The whole family snacks on microwave popcorn once in a while.

All kinds of things: frozen pizzas, turkey cheddar brats, frozen raviolis, Doritos, sour cream and onion potato chips, Chips Ahoy cookies, Oreo cookies, french fries, Skippy peanut butter, Fruit Loops. Probably a lot of other things people would think are awful but that are considered mainstream healthy.

My youngest will eat Lucky Charms when I buy them for me. :D

I let my baby chew on my daughter's flip flops. He loves them. And I let him suck on rocks outside. He hasn't been sick yet. Ever.

I let my other baby eat goat poop. She loves raisins, and without fail, every visit to the barn she thought the poo was raisins. She learned eventually.

Every problem right on math drills earns you a chocolate chip too :)

I let my baby chew on my daughter's flip flops. He loves them. And I let him suck on rocks outside. He hasn't been sick yet. Ever.

I let my other baby eat goat poop. She loves raisins, and without fail, every visit to the barn she thought the poo was raisins. She learned eventually.

Every problem right on math drills earns you a chocolate chip too :)

Hmmmm. I'm not sure I would think a chocolate chip is just a chocolate chip at your house......LOL :lol:

I am SORRY, but you cannot BEAT $1.50 for a hotdog and drink some days!! :lol:

Oh yes you can- Take them with a bottle of water to Costco at lunch and fill them up on samples. Last weekend they had grilled steak, pizza, chicken pot pie, 4 different kids of cheese and lobster ravioli for lunch. :D

Oh yes you can- Take them with a bottle of water to Costco at lunch and fill them up on samples.

Okay.

But please, PLEASE don't leave your cart in the middle of the aisle while you have lunch at the sample tables.

;)

Edited by Crissy

I don't think escargot or sushi are that weird. There is a sushi place on every block here!

and I can't find sushi as good as it is in HI anywhere here. :glare: I don't know one single friend who has kids who will even try the stuff, and only have one IRL friend who will eat it. I've gotten my hubby to love it. :001_smile:

Are you Italian?

'cause I think we're pretty much the only nation that regularly eats all kinds of dolci, torte, ciambelloni and alike for breakfast. :lol: (If we eat breakfast at all - usually it's just a quick coffee for most people).

I'm Italian! My kids LOVE left over dessert for breakfast. They also love lasagna for breakfast. The season is upon us......... they will be happy campers soon!

Actually, we don't have forbidden foods, limits or restrictions of any type on any food. My kids regulate their food choices as well as DH and I do. I'm not saying we all eat 100% healthy but we don't eat 100% unhealthy. The only meal we prepare as a group dish is dinner but even then, any of us can choose to eat something else. I haven't met many parents who think that's cool. But it works for us!

ps - I do not allow my children to consume illegal substances, just in case someone decides to throw that extreme out there for consideration. But dd12 does like to put drinks in our fancy wine glasses because gosh darnit, they just look flipping cool!

I let my other baby eat goat poop. She loves raisins, and without fail, every visit to the barn she thought the poo was raisins.

Hmmm... ever do a fecal float yourself? After putting those berries under a microscope and getting an up-close-and-personal look at a "healthy" parasite load (animal doesn't need to be wormed) I can NOT imagine this.

Are you teasing???

But dd12 does like to put drinks in our fancy wine glasses because gosh darnit, they just look flipping cool!

Heck yeah!

When I set a Thanksgiving table everyone is drinking from the Baccarat!

My father-in-law cringes, but I'll be dam*ed if I'm leaving the good crystal in the cupboard until most of us are dead.

Nothing particular, but we did child led solids with one child, and some people thought that was weird: no baby rice, no purees, no mashed stuff, just whatever she fancied off our plates when she felt like it, whole apples at 7 months, whatever. Also we didn't do bottles, sippy cups etc, she went straight to a real glass as soon as she learned to drink water.

I will have to go and do some Googling, as I don't know what a few of the food items are.

We had Burger King for dinner tonight. We have Jif peanut butter (on white bread) sandwiches almost every day. White flour pancakes and fake syrup. Lots of other shameful things, but not nearly as many as in the past. I am working hard on getting the grocery bill down! Cooking from scratch is much less expensive!!

Thanks so much for this thead! This is my first year homeschooling and so far a lot of homeschoolers I have met have been REALLY into healthy eating (as in tell people how to do it and talk about it at every gathering). Today I made the mistake of letting my 2yr old eat lucky charms on the way to an event because he didn't wake up in time for breakfast. Man, I got the comments. Glad to know there are other homeschoolers who allow the occasional lucky charm :)!

My kids dig into their Halloween candy that night. I don't do the rationing thing. When it's gone, it's gone.

I let my kids eat theirs. too. My oldest boy still has some of his from last year. This year I'm telling him "use it or lose it". After Jan. 1, I'm giving it to the other kids.

I would really like to feed my kids the boxed mac and cheese. I like it. They won't touch it. I'm training Baby Girl right, so I can make it "for her".

We have Shoo Fly Pie and Funny Cake for breakfast whenever it is available. When we were first married, my Dh couldn't believe we ate apple dumpling and strawberry shortcake for supper (they are only dessert if you eat them with ice cream, either one eaten with milk is a meal).

Bugs. If you make a big deal about it, they'll just eat more.....

This made me think of my kids feeding cows with my dad. When they came in their faces were all dusty. Turns out they were eating the cattle feed on the way out to the pasture.:glare:

Edited by Meriwether

Items I forgot to add to my first list; ramen, hot dogs, lunch meats, Lucky Charms, chips, unnatural peanut butter and donuts. (Only the peanut butter is a staple but you could likely find at least one of other the above items in the kitchen at any given time.) Then there is the white flour and sugar. Various crackers, I guess we eat just about whatever we want.:) The only thing I try to keep an eye out for is high-fructose corn syrup but I usually forget to look at the labels of food while shopping.:tongue_smilie:

Are you Italian?

'cause I think we're pretty much the only nation that regularly eats all kinds of dolci, torte, ciambelloni and alike for breakfast. :lol: (If we eat breakfast at all - usually it's just a quick coffee for most people).

See, I think it's hypocrisy that a doughnut (excuse me, donut) or danish is acceptable for breakfast, but pie is not? The difference is what, exactly?

My youngest eats a raw oscar meyer cheesey dog every afternoon for snack. She use to eat them for breakfast, lunch and snack so I am moving in the right direction.

Mrs. Mungo, haven't had Loco Moco since I lived in Hilo, I don't miss it. :001_smile:

We have cake or brownies every birthday for breakfast, tho they have started asking for something like eggs, whoever heard of such a thing.;)