Menu

History Odyssey (level 2) users...

plain jane

I was wondering if you would say this program is thorough and rigorous? Does your child come away from a history lesson with a deeper understanding than they had the first go-round?

I have heard wonderful things about HO level 2 both IRL and on this board but a lot of the comments I've heard are that it's great for independent work, it teaches outlining, the kids enjoy it, the book selections are good, etc. When I compare it to something like TOG it seems quite a bit lighter (which isn't necessarily a negative thing :)) but I'm wondering if you'd consider it a somewhat rigorous and thorough program as well?

Are the writing assignments thought-provoking and interesting? Where do they learn to do the writing for these assignments? Do you find this program "meaty" enough? I was a bit surprised by how few books the kids are expected to read each year- again, compared to SL and TOG it seems a bit on the lighter side.

What led you to choose HO over the other programs out there and will you continue to stick with it through to level 3?

I was wondering if you would say this program is thorough and rigorous?

Yes.

Does your child come away from a history lesson with a deeper understanding than they had the first go-round?

No. For us, the layout of the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, with snippets of information and colorful pictures, was not conducive to retention.

Are the writing assignments thought-provoking and interesting?

There are many, many, many shorter writing assignments that are simply recording information that has been gleaned from KHE. Some of the longer writing assignments are thought-provoking. In our house, there are no interesting writing assignments. :tongue_smilie:

Do you find this program "meaty" enough?

Yes.

I was a bit surprised by how few books the kids are expected to read each year- again, compared to SL and TOG it seems a bit on the lighter side.

Yes, the reading list is on the light side. It was disappointing after SOTW. Also, what is read is rarely discussed. OTOH, the books are well chosen.

What led you to choose HO over the other programs out there and will you continue to stick with it through to level 3?

I chose HO because it was the only secular logic stage history program I could find. We tolerated it for 2 years. We have since moved on to HaoH, an online program.

Honestly, I think HO is a fine program, but not for us. If my student enjoyed KHE and writing, it would be terrific.

Here are some threads about HO. My review is in the first.

History Odyssey Level 2 - Middle Ages questions

History Odyssey for Logic stage

History Odyssey Level 2 ?'s

Edited by Sue in St Pete

I might have posted in one the links that Sue posted but thought I would answer as well.

My ds/7th/12yrs is doing HO level 2 ancients. He is really enjoying that he can open his syllabus and do his history without waiting for me or his little bro. He is the kind of kid that likes little snippits and can write a summary of what he reads. He retains it, because he will spout information that he learned reading KFH days after reading it. I have added to the reading list just because we were used to SOTW and SL lists. I also am adding in a few selections from Omnibus I and will use the Omnibus guide along with the books. That way he gets a deeper read on at least a few books.

I think for this year a lighter history is what this mom needed, so that it is not meaty is not bothering me.

He is going through IEW Ancients lessons for writing quickly and then we will begin Essay Voyage with MCT. So, the writing portion is not a factor for us. Although he does do well at summarizing what he has read.

I am not sure if we will continue with HO as next year I may be ready to dive into the Omnibus program with ds. We'll wait and see what next year brings. I think HO is a fine program, although as I stated I am adding to it.

I was wondering if you would say this program is thorough and rigorous?

Yes. :001_smile:

Does your child come away from a history lesson with a deeper understanding than they had the first go-round? ?

Yes, it lays a solid foundation, but I wouldn't stop there. I'm able to reference material they learned and tie it into other studies, while dh loves history. He spends a fair amount of time discussing history with the children.

I have heard wonderful things about HO level 2 both IRL and on this board but a lot of the comments I've heard are that it's great for independent work, it teaches outlining, the kids enjoy it, the book selections are good, etc. When I compare it to something like TOG it seems quite a bit lighter (which isn't necessarily a negative thing :)) but I'm wondering if you'd consider it a somewhat rigorous and thorough program as well?

It might be. It certainly covers less literature than TOG. However, I have a friend doing TOG and the two seem somewhat comparable. TOG does not assume you will do everything, and is more flexible. HO does assume you will do everything, and is less flexible. HO runs ahead of TWTM logic-stage history requirements, which is my reference point for what is acceptable.

Are the writing assignments thought-provoking and interesting? ?

The writing assignments are thought-provoking, and often wonderful stepping stones for further discussion. The children haven't complained about boredom yet!

Where do they learn to do the writing for these assignments??

We're using Rod & Staff English to teach writing as a skill. HO provides the practise the children need. I'm loving the combination. The appendices of HO include instructions on writing essays, biographies, and bibliographies, but HO assumes that actual writing instruction will occur elsewhere.

Do you find this program "meaty" enough??

Yes.

I was a bit surprised by how few books the kids are expected to read each year- again, compared to SL and TOG it seems a bit on the lighter side.?

There is less reading required that SL or TOG. However, my 8th grader is assigned 11 books to read over the school year. IMHO that is plenty for a literature course, expecially with in-depth discussions and essays. :001_smile:

I needed a history course that was planned out, I assumed I would have NO planning time between work, a newborn, house, homeschooling, and family. I also wanted the plan to be as close to TWTM as possible, and HO fit the bill. The only issue was having to divide the children's history up and put them in at grade level. HO Ancients was almost perfect for my 10yo dd, but too easy for my 12 yo ds. HO Early Modern was perfect for 12 yo ds, but too difficult for 10 yo dd. I assumed I would have no time or energy for any modifications, do put each child into their 'grade-level' HO level 2 course. Yes, I'm planning on sticking with it through level 3, although we might have to make other plans for 11th and 12th grades. :001_smile:

No. For us, the layout of the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, with snippets of information and colorful pictures, was not conducive to retention.

This was my concern when I saw how HO Level 2 was done. I am really new to WTM and I am just now reading through TWTM for the first time, but now at least I know why HO Level 2 is using the Kingfisher book - it was recommended in TWTM (2nd edition)! When I was reading how TWTM defines logic-stage history, using the Kingfisher for outlining practice and the other things it recommends, I felt like it was missing something. My kids don't do well with "overview" or "survey" courses where they cover a lot of stuff very superficially, have to try to memorize a bunch of names and dates, and don't get to immerse themselves in the subject.

I much prefer lots of "real" books, maybe not quite as much as SL uses, but still interesting, whole books, for covering history topics. We used Trail Guide to Learning: Paths of Exploration last year and are using Paths of Settlement this year and really enjoy focusing on specific areas of history for longer periods of time, reading a selection of biographies, non-fiction, and historical fiction. We plan to continue with this program through 8th grade to finish the US History series, but then in 9th grade, I kind of wanted to start a 3-4 year cycle of world history using similar time periods as TWTM uses. So I was reading TWTM with the hopes of getting some ideas on how to approach Ancient History in 9th grade, but found that I am not liking either the Kingfisher-approach from logic stage, nor will my boys be ready for the Great Books from the rhetoric stage of TWTM. So I guess I will be on my own - unless Trail Guides to Learning continues with their intent to do world history for 3 years after this US History cycle!