Menu

Scared to ask, but....

There is a good chance that I have become diabetic and I don't want to face it. I am overweight, and have adult onset diabetes in my family. I do not have increased thirst, nor more frequent urination, but have been slowly putting on more weight, and am just wanting to sleep all them time, esp. after consuming carbs. Has anyone become diabetic and do you remember your symptoms? Due to my impending divorce I will be losing my health insurance soon, and am in a bit of denial here.........

Diabetes can often be managed by diet changes. I personally would seek the advise of a naturopath. First of all, you don't know if you have diabetes, so it would have to be confirmed.

I can imagine that with all the stress your are facing (divorce) it could be that you are simply exhausted or serotonin depleted.

Either way, a naturopath may be able to set you on a path that won't involve drugs if they are not needed. I know most insurances refuse to acknowledge naturopathic medicine and you may have to pay out of pocket. I found it to be very much worth it.

Bloodwork is your friend here. Before being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I was tired and overweight, but not experiencing much else. Then I had some bloodwork done for something else and some of the numbers were way out of whack (triglycerides especially). But I ignored it because I was busy. And a few months later, I was in the hospital with a blood clot in my leg.

The blood clot could probably have been avoided if I had just taken the blood work numbers to my doctor.

Get the bloodwork done while you still have insurance. If there's something going on, the sooner you start taking care of it, the better.

BTW - type 2 diabetes isn't aweful. And you feel SOOOOO much better with even just a few changes. The difference between having your blood sugar levels over 350 all day and when it's around 100 is amazing.

Thanks all. I have a bloodwork from my doc and really should do it. Ok, tomorrow morning, since it is fasting. I like the naturopath idea. And am aware that diet and exercise can make a huge diff. The secret hope is that this is what will kick me into gear. I am not really concerned about thyroid, and am on long term antidepressant which really helps, so depression isn't a concern. I am just not good at self care......I think it is a mommy thing. But you girls have given me a little kick in the pants and that is what I need.

I was tired all the time. My vision all of a sudden got bad. And I was crankey. Please get an A1c done sooner rather than later. I now take 4 insulin shots a day, take 2000mg of metformin, take a pill to protect my kidneyes, prick my finger at least 4 times a day too. I was put on insulin from day 1. I have went from weighing 258 to 202 and am still on all of those meds. If you caught in early enough some only have to take metformine.

I was tired all the time. My vision all of a sudden got bad. And I was crankey. Please get an A1c done sooner rather than later. I now take 4 insulin shots a day, take 2000mg of metformin, take a pill to protect my kidneyes, prick my finger at least 4 times a day too. I was put on insulin from day 1. I have went from weighing 258 to 202 and am still on all of those meds. If you caught in early enough some only have to take metformine.

Oh wow. Thanks for sharing. Hope you are able to get better soon. What did you do to lose the weight?