Menu

Has anyone been at it long enough to do a: What's working for you and what's getting

mama25angels

Here's what's working for us:

Sequential Spelling with DVDrom

MCT Grammar (LOVE it!!)

Learn and Master Guitar

Teaching Textbooks

Haven't used long enough to know, but hopeful:

Rightstart Math

IEW

All American History

All About Spelling

Nothing has been replaced yet.

Shalynn

My 5 yr old son is going to post lots of smileys below.

:auto:

:auto:

:bigear:

Guest mrsjamiesouth

We set aside MOH and replaced it with HOD Preparing. I put away CLE LA5 for my ds10 and replaced it with R&S English3.

I added PP,MM1, and ES Bio to my ds6's day, but haven't gotten rid of anything.

Working:

Saxon Math

Phonics Road

MFW Explorers to 1850 (We're even managing to memorize James - amazing!)

Bridge to Latin Road

VP Literature and Comp. Guides for my 7 and 9 yos.

Apologia Physical Science (for my eighth grader)

MFW High School Year 3 (for one of my older students)

Notgrass Government (for the other)

Excellence in Literature: American Lit (for the same kidlet doing Notgrass).

VP Phonics Museum: actually pleasantly surprised about this though I think the TM could be improved a bit.

thinking about:

adding in a bit of Latin for my younger group: no workbooks, just chants and some vocabulary so that it's not such a shock later.

replacing the science in MFW with ________________???? It's just doesn't seem to working really well. My kids love the books but have already read completely through them and I'm dreading starting the Apologia Botany book after Christmas: I've already been through that book a few times. We'll see.

What's working:

--MEMORY BOXES!!!! In the first 8 weeks of school, we've already learned almost as much memory work as we did in the entire year last year and they love it!

--Singapore Math (replacing Saxon)--huge improvement for the kids and for me also. Much less time-intensive and I feel like they're understanding math concepts better too. My only supplement is some online flashcard drills, which the kids look forward to in contrast to Saxon's boring drill pages.

--Science - I actually created and bound my own science work books for chemistry. So far it has been a huge hit and they're learning.

Too soon to tell:

--Voyages in English 3 - this was an expensive purchase, but I think that it's going to be an improvement. I didn't feel like WWE and FLL were really teaching my kids to write. Already I feel like DS has improved in his ability to sit down and write a story, for example. It's taking a lot of time though, and he is not loving the grammar portions.

--Reading Journals - the idea is that they write down books they read and something about the story (plot, character, summary). So far they don't quite get it, but maybe soon this will be easier.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Good idea though; I like assessing where we are with things. I'm thankful that so far we haven't had to nix anything completely (last year we had to quit one program just a few weeks into school--ugghh). I look forward to hearing from others...

Sarah

What's working for us:

file folder system

workboxes arranged by subject with all the work for the week in there

Oak Meadow

Rod and Staff math

Spell to Write and Read

Scott Foresman Reading language arts worksheets

lapbooks

What we dropped:

Spanish

Latin

Singapore Math (after many years)

We are now more Waldorf with a dash of Montessori than Classical. But we are happy where we are at and are finishing the best year yet. I am happy with the progress we have made and am looking forward to moving up in levels in January.:001_smile:

I'm at the point where I'm happy with everything we're using... however, my ds6 needs something different in grammar and spelling. I figured out he just works much better on his own rather than the high parent involvement that AAS and FLL require. So.... I'm switching just him to Spelling Workout and Growing With Grammar. We'll see if that solves some of our battles over school!

Everything else is going great!

Working:

HWT Cursive

AAS

FLL 3

WWE with some tweaking

Singapore Math

HO

In process of review:

Elemental Science (DS seems to be enjoying the reading when he comes across something "cool" but he is not excited about the lack of experiments)

Miquon (recently added for DD and DS joined in - I like it so far)

Not working:

Daily Geography Review by Evan-Moor

The next book appears to regurgitate the same maps. There is a slight difference in questions and they need to write most of them down instead of circling the correct answer.

I'm currently looking into Trail Guide of World Geography as a replacement.

Apologia Physical Science via TPS. Love the structure and accountability that TPS provides, like the text and the way it's presented. It was a good choice for us.

Love AG. Finishing up the 3rd season this year.

Like HO Middle Ages and Getting Started with Spanish - both pick-up and do.

We're using on online test prep program for the NJASK test (Study Island) and that's fine as well.

On the down-side, we dumped the Algebra class ds was signed up through TPS. Hated. the. text. Hated. everything. about. it (University of Chicago Math). We picked up Foerster and have continued with it where we left off last year (chapter 8). Much better fit.

Younger ds has a good fit with TT. Almost done with the current book will be continuing on with the next.

SOTW Middle Ages with Usborne for outlining - also good fit.

The only thing we've changed so far this is year was our Algebra program, so I guess we doing okay.

Edited by Stacy in NJ

Working:

file folder system (it begged for some tweaking but it is working now very well)

BJU Math

MUS

CW-- Homer and Aesop

RSO

History using loosely SOTW and TQ

Not Working (AKA ditched)

Latin

Grammar--I have decided to leave a formal program for my oldest and use literature selection for copywork, dictation, grammar lesson and literary element lesson via Ruth Beechick method)

What's working:

--MEMORY BOXES!!!! In the first 8 weeks of school, we've already learned almost as much memory work as we did in the entire year last year and they love it!

--Singapore Math (replacing Saxon)--huge improvement for the kids and for me also. Much less time-intensive and I feel like they're understanding math concepts better too. My only supplement is some online flashcard drills, which the kids look forward to in contrast to Saxon's boring drill pages.

--Science - I actually created and bound my own science work books for chemistry. So far it has been a huge hit and they're learning.

Too soon to tell:

--Voyages in English 3 - this was an expensive purchase, but I think that it's going to be an improvement. I didn't feel like WWE and FLL were really teaching my kids to write. Already I feel like DS has improved in his ability to sit down and write a story, for example. It's taking a lot of time though, and he is not loving the grammar portions.

--Reading Journals - the idea is that they write down books they read and something about the story (plot, character, summary). So far they don't quite get it, but maybe soon this will be easier.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Good idea though; I like assessing where we are with things. I'm thankful that so far we haven't had to nix anything completely (last year we had to quit one program just a few weeks into school--ugghh). I look forward to hearing from others...

Sarah

What are memory boxes?

What's working for us for various ages

Handwriting Without Tears

Saxon math

First Language Lessons for 1st and 2nd

Rod and Staff Grammar for 3rd and up

My Father's World

Memoria Press for Latin

Apologia for science

Ordinary Parent's Guide for reading

Workboxes (my own version)

Spelling Power

Not working

umm, nothing really. We've been hs for 6 years and have tossed out any things that didn't work for us.

Working:

Math Mammoth

All About Spelling

FLL

ETC

Elemental Science

Questionable:

RightStart

Wordly Wise

Work Boxes

Pathway Readers (dd is bored)

SOTW

Out:

MFW ECC

HWOT - due to the paper syle

File Folder System

Edited by guateangel

DD loves Elemental Science Biology and she likes the literature so far I chose for her to read this year.

She also does Rod and Staff Grammar and Math Mammoth. And while she doesn't love these two, they are definitely doing the job and we'll keep doing them.

We're going to look for a different spelling program for her next year. We're using Rod and Staff right now, but she's a natural speller and the words are super easy for her.

For ds, McRuffy Math turned out to be a great fit and he's loving Click n Read Phonics.

Working

Dd7

Professor B Math

WWE1

Steck Vaughn Geography

Sign Language

Abeka Health 2

Dd10

TT5

EG 5/6

Young Writer's Novel

Written Narrations on different short stories

Steck Vaughn Geography

Abeka Health 6

Dd11

BJU 5

WWE2 (although slowly)

Steck Vaughn Geography

All

Workboxes

SWR (loving it!!)

BSGFAA (loving it!)

Not Working

Writing Strands (dd10 HATED THIS!!)

Considering God's Creation

File System

Can't find a grammar fit for dd11

We are using TQ for American History and this is going good just wish it was scheduled out for me!

What's working:

Sarah

If you don't mind my asking, what are memory boxes? Do you just mean index card boxes with your work in them? Do you use the SCM system? I'd love to be able to visualize your system a bit. thanks.

Having a schedule has been working for us. I avoided it at first because I thought it would drive me and DS8 crazy to be off schedule. I just have to keep reminding him and myself that the schedule is our servant, not our master. Even though we are rarely right on schedule, it helps us to focus and keep track of our progress.

Working (asst. between three kids):

Saxon algebra 1/2 w/Dive CD for oldest

R&S math 4 for middle

Saxon 1 for youngest

Explode the Code (looked iffy for a while, now doing fine)

Megawords

Apologia physical science

Apologia swimming creatures

A Reason for Handwriting

Fallacy Detective

Surprisingly, these cheap little books you can get at Sam's club, called "Complete Book of..." We have US history, Reading and Science ones. I hear the mapping and Geography one is good too. For $6 at Sam's, they make a good outline to use.

Another little nugget we stumbled on is a book called "Wooden Teeth and Jelly Beans", which really got my kids interested in learning about the presidents. We got this from the library, but they spent so much time with it that I had to mention it.

Our Coop. It's been a blessing to have these families to gather and do school with once a week.

Maybe:

AAS 1 - haven't determined if we'll keep this yet

Who is God?

Learn to Write the Novel Way (just got today, ds is SUPER excited to start this)

Words on the Vine (again, just got this today, too, ds is excited to get into it)

MOH - we're new to hs'ing, so this keeps getting pushed off

R&S English ( I seriously do NOT want to hear anymore about subjects and predicates)

Not a hit:

R&S math for oldest and youngest, but middle ds likes it

Elemental Science...good outline, not enough hands on for dd.

Working very well:

Memorizing Dutch history timeline

Made-by-me Dutch history curriculum

Singapore Math + IP

Catechism

Not working:

Dutch grade 2 spelling, waaaaayyy to easy, so dd was dragging out the worksheets and taking at least 30min to do something that she can do in 3min. This always amazes me, if it is this simple, you whip through it, I would expect. Next week we will start grade 3, skipping the first 4 months.

R&S English 2, content was way too easy, while the vocabulary (EFL) was too difficult. We are now using a 7th grade English-for-Dutch students curriculum. I find this extremely scary, but so far she is enjoying it and learning well. If this doesn't work, I'm guving up on English and will just pretend that the whole world speaks Dutch :D

Working:

4th gr.

Horizons Math

SWO/AAS combo

2nd gr.

Horizons math w/ SM teaching concepts, illustrations, & word problems

Abeka Spelling/AAS combo

All

Bible

WTM Lit. (assigned/book-basket reading w/ notebook pages/narrations)

FLL

Guesthollow American History

Hope to integrate soon:

All

EftRU

Latin

Geography (separate from our maps in history)

Not working:

All

Writing. Don't know what to do.

Ditched:

4th gr.

Abeka Spelling

Abeka Math

2nd gr.

Abeka Math

All

WP AS1

Everything is working :D I did spent seven months reading and researching before starting in September.

Her favorites:

--CPO Earth Science (like that's a surprise :lol:)

--K12's Human Odyssey text (not the course) with a lot of library books, especially the Oxford Press series The World in Ancient Times. So far we've used The Ancient Near Eastern World and The Ancient Egyptian World, with The Ancient South Asian World and the Ancient Chinese World waiting on the bookshelf. I love our library.

Working well:

CLE~ this one we fell into by accident, yeah!

Narrations and Science ala WTM

RS as a supplement

US History of my own creation using SL, Guesthollow and SOTW for info

AO~Yr 1 for morning read aloud time

Surprisingly a nearly antique Science text (copyright 1963) for 3rd graders. The kids read it for fun and most of it still seems valid. Gravity and nature haven't changed much since 1963, LOL

Not so well:

Sonlight 3~over 1st grader's head, 4th grader bored

Christian Kids Explore Chemistry~ds just didn't like it. We're mostly just using it if we want an experiment

So far only really have my 7-year-old to work with. My 3-year-old spends her school days practicing letters, counting, painting, doing puzzles, coloring, watching Spanish video Cantemos and/or on PBS Kids online and/or Starfall.com

Working well:

Serl's PLL

Math Mammoth 1B

GD Italic Handwriting Book C

SOTW Volume 2: Middle Ages with AG (our favorite subject)

Poetry for Young People Series: Edna St. Vincent Millay

Getting To Know the World's Greatest Artists: Giotto

Getting To Know the World's Greatest Composers: Tchaikosvsky

BFSU: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding K-2

Nature Study CM style (right now we're on Wildflowers)

Mind Benders (ds loves these deductive logic puzzles)

Muzzy Spanish

Tanglewood Phonics Review

Our Reading and Literature selections

So-so:

Spectrum Spelling Gr. 2

We haven't ditched anything.

This is our 9th year, so by now everything is working. :D

But I have used a lot that didn't. :tongue_smilie:

What we use now and works perfectly:

Simple Schooling Middle School Chemistry for Science

Simple Schooling Literature Guides

BJU History

Spelling Power

Teaching Textbooks

Rosetta Stone

Pathway Readers - Working With Words Vocabulary

Novels

I teach writing myself

What has not worked, stopped working, or I finally just gave up:

Vocab from Classical roots (used it 4 years)

Saxon (used it 3 years)

Singapore Math (used it 2 years)

Abeka Geography (Used it 1 year)

Apologia Science (used it 2 years)

Real Science 4 Kids (used it 1 year)

Memoria Press Latina Christiana (used it 1 year)

Memoria Press Logic (used it 1 year)

Supercharged Science (never even used it)

Analytical Grammar (used 2 years)

What worked well but we outgrew or haven't gotten back to yet (we have a 7 year age gap):

Simple Schooling Middle School Physics

Raising Refounders History

History Pockets

Bluestocking Press Uncle Eric Books (Economics)

Pathway Readers

Simple Schooling Early History (Ancients - Renaissance)

BJU Economics

Handwriting Without Tears

Draw, Write, Now

Math Wrap-ups

Jump In Writing

Writing Strands

Gee-Art

I'm sure there is a lot more but I can't think of any now.

What's not working:

HST+ - After 9 years of homeschooling with pencil and Excel sheet, I thought I needed this for HS, but it just made things unnecessarily complicated. I can't print out anything the way I would want it to look (chart form,) so it's pretty useless to me.

My ds - He wants to do what he wants first, instead of taking care of daily tasks and responsibilities. So a project due next week is very, very important (because it's fun,) but the daily piano practice is a battle.

What's working:

My dds - I can't believe how well my dds are taking to high school work. They are handling a very tough schedule, both academically and in terms of time management, well.

Wheelock's, BJU Bio w/ DIVE, VTI Algebra - All working very well.

Don't know yet:

Latin Alive - I didn't expect it to be so parts-to-whole. :confused: It's almost like the Saxon of Latin, and I can't stand Saxon. I do really like the tidbits on culture and such, but I'm not sure yet about the Latin instruction.

TOG/Omni/WTM rhetoric combo - I need to fine tune some things (less TOG, more WTM, I think.)

My confidence - I have been reminded a few times lately that, no, this is not normal in our culture, and yes, it's all on me. I go along quite well when I don't have to think about either of those realities.

We are having a great year.

Hits for dd (11):

First Form Latin: I like this so much better than LCI and dd really gets it. At her request, I did not get the DVDs. Plus we are getting great overlap with our grammar program.

CW Maxim: It was worth slogging through CW Homer to get to this point. Maxim is fun. We're doing all of the optional reading.

Life of Fred: DD is actually doing algebra independently. I keep thinking that she'll need my help, but the Home Companion has been all she needs.

Patty Paper Geometry: I threw this in at the last minute because of the threads that I saw on this board. DD loves it.

History is always a hit, but I use a mix of many different things.

Independent Schedule: I gave dd more independence this year and we are less regimented on times. She has a checklist of things to get done between 8-10:30. Then she asks for the lessons in Latin and Maxim that she needs between 10:30 and 12. I have given her incentives like Editor in Chief or logic games if she gets her work done early in the week. It's mostly working!

Too soon to tell, but look promising:

Progeny Press Guides, Calculadders, Lingua Angelica

Duds: Art and Music Appreciation. DD has zero interest in it this year. It's been a struggle to get her to do any of it, plus it is currently our last priority. I might have to make this a formal course in a future year.

What's working for ds 14:

Apologia Phys Sci

Key to Algebra

TOG- Hist, Geog, Lit, Writing Aids, Fine Arts and Philosophy

R&S Grammar 7 (albeit going very slowly)

Wordly Wise

Vocabulary Vine

Perplexors

Abeka Health

Not working and dropped or have dropped temporarily:

Fallacy Detective (need something more workbook style)

Apologia DVD (Red Wagon Tutorials) - ds hated it and I agreed

Working for ds 6 First Grade:

OPGTR

FLL

Abeka Math

ETC Book 1

Elemental Science (LOVE IT!!)

TOG- History, Lit, Writing Aids, Fine Arts, Geography

Bob Books

We haven't dropped anything for 1st grade :)

Working well:

Sonlight Science K

Lollipop Logic (completed this in two sittings)

Magic School Bus anything

Singapore/Horizons combo (though I'm not completely sold on Singapore....yes, shocking huh??!!)

Stuff I got rid of (not because it didn't work, just because I decided not to use it):

Miquon

Japanese Math

Horizons Phonics

working for 6th grade:

AG

DITHOR

Apologia science

SWR

replaced 6th grade:

Saxon 76 has been replaced with TT7

working 9th grade:

SWR

Saxon Algebra 1

AOP History LifePac 9

replaced 9th grade:

Queen's LL for High School replaced with Highway to English Grammar

BJU Biology replaced with Science Shepherd

AOP American Lit replaced with LLATL

Working Really Well

Math Mammoth - yay

BBC website for multiplication practice

Elemental Science - big, big hit

MCT - at least for me it is working:)

Memory work scaled down from last year

Making up my own spelling lists and using Spelling City for practice

Abeka 3 History, supplemented with SOTW - big surprise for me, but the scaled down history gives us more time for ds true love - science

Working Best

**Homeschooling only one child - which is probably why everything else is working:)**

Moved from School Work to Read It When You Want

Minimus Latin - he finished Prima Latina and is capable of doing Minimus on his own. He asked to have it eliminated from school work, since we are already doing plenty of couch "work."

Working really well

Nearly everything! Especially:

SOTW

Elemental Science K

First Start Reading/Classical Phonics

SRA Phonics

Right Start

FLL

Set Aside

OPGTR - We like it, but it moves too fast for ds, so we'll come back to it

Really, I am very pleased with this year so far. Last year I felt like we had a steep learning curve, but we have definitely found our sea legs!

We are doing pretty good with most things. We LOVE McRuffy LA for my Kindergartner and 3rd Grader. I also LOVE the McRuffy K Math. Not too sure about the 3rd grade math yet. It doesn't seem to be enough (my son would say otherwise, lol).

Sequential Spelling is definitely NOT working for my 3rd or 5th grader. I will be replacing it with either Soaring with Spelling and Vocab. or Apples and Pears Spelling. I loved the idea behind Sequential Spelling and really thought it would work, but my boys aren't catching on.

The grammar I have for my 5th grader isn't working either. Not sure what I'm going to replace it with yet.

Working:

HoD's Creation to Christ: lovely, rich program. I had to tweak a couple things that were over the top for DS but otherwise we're finding it rigorous, interesting, and balanced with all sorts of stuff.

R&S English: looks dry as toast but is so common-sense and effective. We do most of the exercises orally or on the markerboard.

HWOT: I love my DS's cursive. :)

Classical Magic: Short, sweet way to add in music appreciation and familiarity

La Clase Divertida: His favorite subject

Not so sure:

Singapore Math: We're needing to at least change levels I think. I can't tell if DS is struggling because he's poorly placed or the program is not presenting concepts well enough. MM is still calling my name!

I think everything's actually working! :D

We are using:

5th grade

R&S math (just added LOF, and it is great!)

R&S grammar

Sequential Spelling

Wordly Wise (she hates it, but it works!)

2nd grade

R&S math

Queen's Language Lessons

R&S spelling

Both

SL core 3 (history, geography, literature, bible, poetry study)

God's Design for Science (using Human Body book right now) and some projects and experiments from Janice Van Cleave's book

Memory work (using lots of suggestions from here and Living Memory book)

Artistic Pursuits

Music selections correlating to our history study (this is not exactly coming together like I planned, but we are working on it)

I just bought and listened to SWB's writing audio lectures, and I "made up" writing lesson plans last week. My girls loved it!!! I am waiting on the WWE instructor's text to give me more guidance, but I think this is going to be perfect for us. :001_smile:

I ordered Logic Liftoff for my 5th grader and Lollipop Logic for my 2nd grader, and we will be starting those next week. I like the looks of both!

Oh, just thought of something that is just kinda so-so, and that is History Pockets. I bought them to give us some hands-on to go with SL, but they are the first thing to get dropped if we get too busy. We did several of the explorer pockets, and I am sure we will do a few of the colonial ones now that we are getting to that point in history. The girls like them, and so do I, but it's not something we "have" to do.

I'm really happy with eveything we're using this year. (See my signature for details.) The only thing that didn't work out was Shurley grammar (even though I think it's a great program). It wasn't a good fit for me and we've switched to Saxon Grammar. I have been so pleased with that program for my son, I was really tempted to switch him to Saxon Math after years of singing the praises of R&S. We'll probably finish up with R&S though after some of the research I've done. He's had success with R&S and I don't want to take any chances of messing that up.

Lisa

We completed week 10 of 7th and 5th grades yesterday.

Working well:

Apologia's Who is God?

Created for Work

BJU's The American Republic

CLP's A Child's Story of America

R&S English

SWB's A Plan for Writing and WTM principles (LOVE these!)

Apples Daily Speling

Saxon 8/7

CLE Math 400

A Beka Science 7

HOD's Preparing Hearts science, dictation, and poetry

Didn't work out:

MFW's Exploration to 1850 - I love it, but it doesn't fit my guys very well. They are much more contented with one textbook as opposed to a multi-text approach.

Really everything's working for us now. We had a period that we had to take a month break from Singapore PM and zoom through half of Horizons 2, but now they're both good. We've also ramped up our Miquon use and picked up some fun supplements. I'm learning to be flexible and non-linear.

We started slow and have recently added FLL 1 (which is great!) and SSL (ds's new favorite subject).

Big hits that are new to us:

Prima Latina and Drawing with Children.

Old things going well:

For 1st grader R&S math is awesome. 3rd grader doing well with everything she has.

Not going well:

R&S 1st grade reading and phonics. Worked great w/my 1st child. This one HATES it. I don't know if she hates reading or this program. But I see it is working. The knowledge is carrying over into everyday reading. So I know she is learning. But she does not like lesson time at all. uggh. I may have to reevaluate over Christmas break. I want to give it a little longer to see if I can tweak it.

Working:

Lightening Lit. 8th grade

History Odyssey, Modern Times, Level Two

PHSE Physical Science

Various Bible Resources

Analytical Grammar, Season Three

Replaced:

Chalk Dust Algebra I with Math U See Algebra I - the jury is still out on MUS.

Working:

TT (best math program for us)

AAS

Wordly Wise ( I have made my own adjustments playing go fish and memory)

HWOT

Free Classical Science (love it)

Winston Grammar

Survivors High-Interest Nonfiction

Not sure yet:

Easy Grammar

Singapore science

Writing Strands

History

R&S Bible

Grammar with a giggle

Working/Already Replaced

1. CLE Math (3rd grade)
  2. Math Mammoth (1A)
  3. Teaching Textbooks Grade 5 (replaced Math Mammoth 4B)
  4. Classical House of Learning Literature for Grammar Stage and Logic Stage (Ancients for both)
  5. Story of the World (Ancients currently)
  6. Art in Story
  7. Alfred's Music Theory
  8. A Joyful Noise (cultural literacy song book)
  9. Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization
  10. All About Spelling (levels 1, 3, and 5 currently)
  11. mom-made science for my 3rd-grader using Usborne books
  12. MCT Grammar Town and Sentence Island, but will be adding Voyages in English for more practical application and to fill gaps
  13. Song School Latin
  14. IEW, Ancient Theme book (will be using our own selections next year)

Too Soon to Tell

1. Oak Meadow 5 History & Literature (replaced K12 Human Odyssey)
  2. Oak Meadow 5 Science (replaced Power Basics Biology)
  3. Phonics Road 1--not sure if I love this, yet (we're on week 10)

Not Working/Didn't Work

1. K12 Human Odyssey (I loved it, dd10 didn't)--replaced with OM 5
  2. Math Mammoth 4B (I loved it, dd10 didn't)--replaced with TT 5
  3. CLE Language Arts 300 (I like it, but dd8 doesn't)--probably will replace with Voyages in English
  4. CLE Reading 300 (neither of us really like it)--replacing with various chapter books and a mom-made version of WWE
  5. Power Basics Biology (replaced with OM 5 Science)
  6. Story of Science (will save for the future--I love it)

Possible Replacements/Supplements

1. mom-made version of WWE using chapter books (replacing CLE Reading 300)
  2. Voyages in English Grade 5 (supplementing MCT)
  3. Voyages in English Grade 3 (replacing CLE LA)
  4. Life of Fred Fractions (to supplement TT 5)

What's working:

File folders arranged by subject for each of my kids, along with workboxes. This is our 1st year using the file folders & our 2nd year using workboxes and we're still loving them.

I originally had the file folders filed by date but that failed miserably. Now I just take the next thing out of each kid's (fill in the subject) file and put it in their workbox every morning. Takes less than 5 minutes to fill them.

Also working:

Math U See

Math Mammoth

Key to Fractions Series

FFL 4

WWE 3

Megawords Spelling 1

Barton Reading/Spelling

IEW Poetry Memorization

Latin for Children A

VP Bible--Gospels

God's Design Life--animals

Not working so well:

Spelling Workout--pages too busy, too many puzzles

VP History--I can't put my finger on why we're having such a hard time with it. We're going to continue using it though, just need to tweak it a bit.

Reason for Handwriting--bought a level too advanced for them.

WWE 4--too hard. This was our first year with WWE & had to back up to level 3.

Edited by Paintedlady

Working - doing school during DS's nap. :tongue_smilie:

HWOT

SOTW

FLL

AAS

CBS (Bible study)

So-so:

WWE, Artistic Pursuits, Singapore Science

Did not work:

Math Mammoth (I am so bummed about it. I like the program and she was so excited about it at first, but it was just too much)