Menu

Homeschooling in Brazil.

This is from HSLDA which is probably pretty reliable and was last updated on October 13, 2010.

Legal Status of home schooling: Officially banned.

Compulsory attendance law: Federal law, ages 7 to 14.

Estimated number of home schoolers: 100 familes.

Legal Status of home schooling: Officially banned.

Compulsory attendance law: Federal law, ages 7 to 14.

Estimated number of home schoolers: 100 familes.

A family received $32,000 in fines on March 26th, 2010 despite their son passing all of the government tests with flying colors and having been accepted to law school at the age of 14!!

The only way that I could see it being legal is if your husbands job was with the DOD or a sub-contractor for the DOD that is covered by SOFA and that would completely depend on whether or not Brazil signed on for SOFA. I don't know if we have any military installations in Brazil so SOFA may be a no-go.

Faith

This is from HSLDA which is probably pretty reliable

i was a member of the canadian branch for a year - the information that they sent me in the 'welcome packet' thing about home education in my province was partially incorrect and way out of date.

just saying - sometimes they aren't on top of things. :laugh:

I heard about the family in Brazil. I know they moved, and since that and I have try to contact the guy with no response. Another family has been homeschooling for a long time with no problem,but has to used a "tutor" in her house. http://www.musingsonthemove.com

I don't mind doing that but I want to know if the law applies to non-citizens? Thanks

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Thanks for your help. I wonder why wiki has it as legal?

Well, I don't consider Wiki a terribly reliable source;) Still, it wouldn't hurt to look into it further. While I consider HSLDA much more reliable there is always room for error when people are involved. Since it's been illegal for so long I'd think it would be big news if that changed but you just never know.

We homeschooled with 9 kids (only 7 were school age) for a year in Brazil. We assumed that since we were American citizens it was fine, and we didn't feel compelled to send up any red flags by asking around to see whether or not our assumptions were correct. Nobody ever once questioned us. Occasionally Brazilian friends would mention that homeschooling was illegal, but they seemed to think the law didn't apply to us. Maybe this was an idiot's approach, but it worked out.

I suggest you find out if Brazil's homeschool laws apply to non-citizens there on a visa. Perhaps you could use something accredited like Calvert or K12 to show that you are enrolled in an American school.

I thought those sorts of laws only apply to Brazilian citizens? As an American citizen, are you under that law?

Yes, you still have to follow traffic laws and such...but I'm really not sure about the homeschooling stuff....

Maybe I'm totally off here, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks Luann! The good thing is the company will help if we decide to enroll them in homeschool or in a private school. I'm going to hire somebody to come and teach them Portuguese ( they speak English and Spanish). They tell me the American school is great, but I just have this strong feeling that I should keep them at home.

i was a member of the canadian branch for a year - the information that they sent me in the 'welcome packet' thing about home education in my province was partially incorrect and way out of date.

just saying - sometimes they aren't on top of things. :laugh:

The information on their website for the UK doesn't cover Scotland, which has a different legal framework. I don't think that they necessarily have all the facts on the international situation.

Laura

I thought those sorts of laws only apply to Brazilian citizens? As an American citizen, are you under that law?

Yes, you still have to follow traffic laws and such...but I'm really not sure about the homeschooling stuff....

Maybe I'm totally off here, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

However in the countries where I have lived, all residents were treated the same under the law. In China the authorities did not bother to investigate foreigners who were home educating, but legally I was bound by the same laws.

Laura

Thanks Luann! The good thing is the company will help if we decide to enroll them in homeschool or in a private school. I'm going to hire somebody to come and teach them Portuguese ( they speak English and Spanish). They tell me the American school is great, but I just have this strong feeling that I should keep them at home.

Homeschooling was the great stabilizer for us in Brazil. It was what my dc had always been used to and gave us something constant when everything else was changing. It would have been very hard for my children (and I!) to simultaneously get used to both a new culture and a new way of schooling.

The Portuguese tutor is a great idea. If you can get help in the home (pretty cheap down there) then you and the dc will also have that exposure to the language.

I would contact the American Embassy in Brazil.

My husband is from Brazil. Last year we were considering returning to Brazil to live.

We wrote to the Brazilian Consulate in San Francisco in January 2010, and they said that they were unaware of any exceptions to the mandatory school law in Brazil.

But our children are Brazilians and Americans, so in Brazil, they are treated as Brazilian citizens, which is why I recommend checking with the US Embassy in Brazil.

Best to you! :)

Edited by just Jenny

I heard about the family in Brazil. I know they moved, and since that and I have try to contact the guy with no response. Another family has been homeschooling for a long time with no problem,but has to used a "tutor" in her house. http://www.musingsonthemove.com

I don't mind doing that but I want to know if the law applies to non-citizens? Thanks

Hi -- ZooRho sent me the link to this thread, and I am the lady from the blog you linked.

I just wanted to clarify, I am the tutor that we use. That's just how I refer to myself on my blog, because of the unclear rules about hs'ing in Brazil.

We have been here three years (in Brazil), have hs'ed the entire time and only one person I've met has even said to me that it's illegal.

The law as written on HSLDA is incorrect, though, as the required school age has changed (it is now 5 to 17, I think). So, the wiki article could be correct, I honestly don't know. There WAS a law before the Brazilian congress, trying to legalize hs'ing, but I do not know if it was voted on or not yet.

They are trying to legalize it, though.

Anyway, we've managed much like someone else said up thread. We just tell people they have a tutor in any informal setting. We've not had any official question or anything, despite renewing our visas, etc. We do use an actual tutor (not myself) for Portuguese lessons.

If you are still concerned, I do know that there ARE Brazilian families currently hs'ing. The family who was fined specifically challenged the law, petitioned the court to legalize it. The government is not really out there hunting down hs'ers or anything. It really is quite easy to fly under the radar if you choose to hs here. Or, as someone else mentioned, using an online school IS a valid way around it. If you are in a state that uses umbrella schools, maybe maintain your affiliation with them when you move? That would also serve as a completely legal way around the situation here.

If you have more questions, feel free to email me via the contact me on my blog. If you have Brazil questions in general I'm happy to answer those as well.

Thanks the reader! I'm so confuses and time is running out. I told my husband that I will rather stay in Campinas close to my sister in law (she lives there, but hates that I homeschool). He will stay in an apartment close to work. She keeps telling me to enroll them in The American school over there in Campinas where her kids go. My husband boss keeps asking him, "what do I think of the move?" and what Will it take for me to move?...I was in Mexico for 4 months and we had a great time going to museums and different places. Thanks for your reply. I really like your blog.

thanks, likemyhomeschool. We are actually in the same city as your sister in law; if I can be of any help, please do email me. I did set it up here that forum members can email me through the forum system, or you can email me through my blog. Although I suppose if you have family in BR you don't need my advice much : )

I know many kids and teachers at the American School in Campinas, as well. It is insanely expensive, so if you are even considering it, make sure your husband's company will pay for it.

Best of luck

• 1 year later...

I know it's been a while since this thread was started but hopefully your guys are still around... Anyway... I'm a dual citizen (I'm originally from Brazil but also hold an American Passport). Both my children are also dual citizens although in their case they were born in the US and hold Brazilian Passports. We're thinking about moving to Brazil next year and my plan in to Homeschool under a Florida Umbrella School. So technically they would be enrolled in a "Private American School". Will I be able to to that? Any information on the subject and how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.