Menu

Nature Study Info needed

http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/

Best nature study blog that I know of. :001_smile: Wish I could say that I've used it, but we are nature study drop outs.

I just bought her Autumn Outdoor Hour eBook and we love it! It lays everything out for you and it even includes notebooking pages. My kids have been having so much fun with it. They ask me every day if we get to do a nature study today. So, I'd say it's a hit. And you really can't beat the price.

I just bought her Autumn Outdoor Hour eBook and we love it! It lays everything out for you and it even includes notebooking pages. My kids have been having so much fun with it. They ask me every day if we get to do a nature study today. So, I'd say it's a hit. And you really can't beat the price.

Will I still need the handbook of nature study as well??

Will I still need the handbook of nature study as well??

Her lessons often reference a section of HNS, which I think is a great resource book. However, it's not a book designed for kids to read and it's not a fieldguide really. It has tons of background info on nature topics, but might not have exactly the info on your local plants and animals. (For example, Hawaii didn't have many of the items listed in the HNS, but it did have compound plants, spiders, weevils (though ours were pineapple weevils not boll weevils), etc.

HNS isn't that expensive and can be picked up used because it didn't suit a particular family. It is also available in a couple versions in a downloadable .pdf format.

Guest TheBugsMom
I have been searching blogs, books, google etc. What can anyone here tell me about it? How do you do it? When do you do it? Is there a cirriculum? I am kinda overwhelmed with all that came up on search so any advice or thoughts anyone has I would love to hear them!

I have tried structured nature study, or tried to do structured nature study for years and it never worked out. This year I have been letting dd lead where our nature study goes. We found a turtle the other day, so we looked up what kind it was, printed a picture of it. Then we read about the gopher turtle(it was this kind). After I asked dd some questions and wrote her responses down, glued the picture to it and had a notebooking page. That week we also went to the library and looked up some books on turtles, read them and had her give me back some general info about turtles to make another nb page. We made a turtle out of playdough (for art, see below) and discussed the different parts and their uses. This week, she found a very nice leaf on her swing, looked it up in the tree book, found the tree it came from in the yard, and then looked up the names of all our trees in the yard. Today we are going to make labels for each tree type (10 different types) in the yard and tomorrow we will make bark rubbings and leaf rubbings for each tree to make NB pages.

This method seems to be working for us. At least I feel like we are actually doing nature studies without it feeling forced. We will start trail walking soon now that the weather is cooling off and I am sure this will lead to more study trails for us to follow.

post-19448-13535083945122_thumb.jpg

post-19448-13535083945122_thumb.jpg