Menu

Pulling son out of school mid-year. Oh, what to do?

Guest nhhomeschoolmom

Guest nhhomeschoolmom

I plan to pull my 6 year old out of 1st grade private school in January of next year. I had wanted to homeschool at the beginning of this school year but due to various reasons, I was unable to. Now that I can, I am wondering where I should start. Should I begin his school year over and go through the summer or pick up where they left off?

I am also concerned because his reading is very behind. The material the teacher is using is confusing for him. He is learning to read by recognizing pictures and whole words rather than learning letter sounds. I have gone over letter sounds at home with him and he is still using her method of learning to read. I am unsure as to whether I should go back to the beginning of that as well. I plan to use Saxon for his phonics but since he is in 1st grade, should I use Saxon Phonics K or just go ahead and begin with Saxon 1?

I look forward to your advice! :)

Edited by nhhomeschoolmom

I plan to pull my 6 year old out of 1st grade private school in January of next year. I had wanted to homeschool at the beginning of this school year but due to various reasons, I was unable to. Now that I can, I am wonder where I should start. Should I begin his school year over and go through the summer or pick up where they left off?

I'd just pick up where he left off in school, although the truth is that you might spend a few months de-toxing before you can actually start teaching. In any case, don't think of it as repeating first grade or anything, and next fall, consider him officially in second grade.

You will want to check the laws in your state to be sure you'll be in compliance, before you withdraw him or even say anything to the school.

I am also concerned because his reading is very behind. The material the teacher is using is confusing for him. He is learning to read by recognizing pictures and whole words rather than learning letter sounds. I have gone over letter sounds at home with him and he is still using her method of learning to read. I am unsure as to whether I should go back to the beginning of that as well. I plan to use Saxon for his phonics but since he is in 1st grade, should I use Saxon Phonics K or just go ahead and begin with Saxon 1? :)

Ah. Sight reading. :tongue_smilie:

Seems to me you could go ahead with Saxon 1.

You're going to get loads of practical advice, but I thought I'd just tell you you can do this and you're doing the right thing by ditching whole language instruction. Also, there are phonics programs out there that are free. I am sure someone will post links, but here are a couple for you to get started:

http://www.progressivephonics.com/

http://www.donpotter.net/Blend%20Phonics.htm

I suggest you de-school him for a bit, do a load of fun reading and fun activities. Let him see that you're going to have a great time together. Pick up on his interests and do some fun activities and field trips together. Then just focus on teaching him to read and basic figuring. That, coupled with a lot of interesting input from a variety of sources (especially the library!) will be just fine for first grade. At some point, pick up a copy of The Well Trained Mind (TWTM) and take a look at this website: http://www.amblesideonline.org for free curriculum outlines that you can use to get started.

Don't bog him down with too much in the first grade, though. It's better to do deep than broad in the early years. :001_smile:

All the best!

Susan

You can pick up a cheap copy of Reading Reflex. I used it to teach my son to read. He was a very struggling reader. At age 8 he was barely first grade level. In one year, using the Reading Reflex method, he jumped up three grade levels.

There are a lot of good phonics programs though. Just thought I'd chime in with the one that worked really well for my son. I don't have experience with Saxon.

I agree with the previous poster. Don't worry about science, history, and such. Just focus on teaching him to read and math.

The Well Trained Mind is a must read. :D

I bought Saxon Phonics for my oldest.... oh my. I was so overwhelmed by the TM that I ditched it before I even tried it! This was after trying Saxon math.. which I dont LOVE but dont mind either. I'm only mentioning this incase you see the TM and get scared by it like I did lol. Phonics doesnt have to be so complicated....

We now use Abeka phonics, or ETC online for the older kiddos...