Menu

Teaching the essay in 2-3 weeks?

Is it possible for me to teach dd the essay in a couple of weeks? She has to write an essay for a piano contest. The theme is Music...an instrument of universal expression. I don't need her to have the essay mastered, but I would like to introduce the format to her in order to complete the above assignment. What resources would you recommend for this? I have CW Maxim, but the essay is built off of previous lessons and we have not started Maxim yet. I have also looked at The Lively Art of Writing but this may take too long as well. Any suggestion or ideas?

How about the five-paragraph essay??? First paragraph, introduction, next three are three points, last is conclusion. In the introduction, you briefly introduce the three points you want to write about. Then in the paragraphs, expand on them. Then wrap it up nicely.

Is this what you mean?

Yes, sorry about that, the five paragraph essay is what I meant.

I'm trying to find this at the Purdue OWL site, but I am having trouble finding what I'm looking for here. So far it seems we need to do all of it! I can't find the 5 paragraph essay yet.

This is only temporary...I do plan on backing up and teaching more foundational topics as soon as we finish this assignment.

Edited by Kfamily

Is it possible for me to teach dd the essay in a couple of weeks? She has to write an essay for a piano contest. The theme is Music...an instrument of universal expression. I don't need her to have the essay mastered, but I would like to introduce the format to her in order to complete the above assignment. What resources would you recommend for this? I have CW Maxim, but the essay is built off of previous lessons and we have not started Maxim yet. I have also looked at The Lively Art of Writing but this may take too long as well. Any suggestion or ideas?

Here's a site we've used in the past (well, parts of the site): http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/685/1/

It really has some excellent exercises and it's free :001_smile: I think you could get the basics down in a week or two.

Thanks Cynthia, I have been trying this site but I have been having problems with it tonight. I'll keep trying. This may be the right approach since I could just work through the exercises we need to write a good introductory paragraph with a thesis, at least 3 supporting paragraphs and a conclusion.

Thanks!