Menu

Hemorroids...TMI for sure!

So I will apologize up front for sounding yucky but I don't know any other way to say it! Last week one time when I went number 2....there was bright red blood on the toilet paper and the side of my umm....poo. It went away after that...until today when I went number ONE today and when I wiped "back there" there was a spot on the toilet paper of bright red blood about the size if a half dollar. It wasn't giggly like a clot, just bright red. Now I just assumed that one of my hemorroids popped but when I went online to look up burst hemorroids...they all said that hemorroids hurt really badly. Mine don't hurt at all and when these episodes happened it didn't hurt. If I had happened to have my period at the times, I wouldn't even have known that I had bled back there. I called my doctor and I am going in on Friday but now I'm afraid that I have colon cancer or something because my hemorroids don't hurt. Oh and one more thing, after the spot of blood this afternoon, I did go number two again a little while later and again there was some blood, not alot and along the side of the stool....so now I'm obsessing about it and when I "pat" up there, there are little pin sized dots of blood on the toilet paper. Has anyone ever had anything like this?

Again, I'm sorry for being yucky but I wanted to say everything....and mom2twinboys....I was going to tell you about this when I talk to you tomorrow!

This could also be from being constipated, and irritating the cells which can break, thus causing little bleeding fissures. Constipation isn't just the lack of ability to go, but having harder stools that might have to be forceably passed because there's no moisture, if that makes sense.

My dr. always said...if you splash, you need to be drinking more water :) LOL

I will tell you what happened to me.

I knew I had hemorrhoids. But they never bothered me. I noticed one day that there was blood all in the toilet and on the TP. This was about 8 years ago. I totally freaked out.

I was in my mid 30's then so I wasn't to obsessed over colon cancer.

Fast forward to 2006, I had some really bad stomach pains. I had no idea what they were and every single test didn't show anything.

One day I went to the bathroom and I had diarhhea real bad and the tank was full of blood. Then I really panicked, even though this rectal bleeding would happen every so often. But now I had stomach pain, and I was 39.

So I called the GI Dr in a panic. Thinking I let it go for to long and I must have colon cancer.

I spoke to the GI Dr. who felt I was to young for a colonoscopy, no HX of colon cancer in the family, and because it was bright red, chances were good it was from my hemorrhoids.

He did a rectal(sorry), and felt I had hemorrhoids, but thought a sigmoidoscopy would be fine.

So I had a sigmoid done in Dec.of 2006 and got the all clear. But I also had INTERNAL hemorrhoids. So that is all it was.

My bad stomach pains was from IBS.

I still get rectal bleeding even if I am not constitpated. It doesn't happen all the time. Maybe 4-6 times a year.

The issue is that now I am anemic. And was cleared through the GYN. Could still be GYN related, but now have to go back to see GI to let them know since it has been 4 years since the sigmoid, and since I still have rectal bleeding, it *could* be from somewhere in the upper colon. Bet they will want to do a colonoscopy now.((sigh)). One more freaking test.

The thing is. Once you have had rectal bleeding, they are always going to want to keep an eye on you. Things can always change.

But I can almost bet it is only hemorrhoids. Better to talk to the GI Dr. though.

I certainly wouldn't panic:grouphug:

Edited by dancer67

Your story could have been my story exactly. I thought for sure I was heading to death's door. (I have an over active imagination when it comes to medical issues.) Dr. did a sigmoidoscopy just to be sure and it was roids. I never felt a thing from them. The doctor also told me that bright red blood signals something going on at the end of the shute not usually further up. Prepare for a colonscopy but at least you will have peace of mind once it's done and won't need another for ten years.

Your story could have been my story exactly. I thought for sure I was heading to death's door. (I have an over active imagination when it comes to medical issues.) Dr. did a sigmoidoscopy just to be sure and it was roids. I never felt a thing from them. The doctor also told me that bright red blood signals something going on at the end of the shute not usually further up. Prepare for a colonscopy but at least you will have peace of mind once it's done and won't need another for ten years.

End of the shute:lol:.....Where no man has ever gone before. Or shouldn't...:lol::D

Oh how I love these boards! I'm actually having very similar symptoms (have for a bit) and I'm having my first colonoscopy on Friday as a result. I am hoping for a hemorrhoid. Also no pain, blood on the side, and sometimes bright red. Also no pain.

I have a friend (my age) who died of colon cancer at 32, so it's definitely been scary for me. Glad to hear the other stories, hoping all goes well, but it's really nice to know I'm not alone!

I have a friend (my age) who died of colon cancer at 32,

But were her symptoms the same as yours? See, I worry about this stuff all the time, but when I meet someone who has actually been through the things I fear, I find out that the "symptoms" are so very much different than what I have experienced. I tend to go straight to "cancer" worries because of all of the talk about it or all of the reading I do online, etc. However, it is very rare for a 32 year old to have colon cancer. Many times, it is genetic or there is a family history when someone comes up with it that young (of course, this is NOT always the case).

But were her symptoms the same as yours? See, I worry about this stuff all the time, but when I meet someone who has actually been through the things I fear, I find out that the "symptoms" are so very much different than what I have experienced. I tend to go straight to "cancer" worries because of all of the talk about it or all of the reading I do online, etc. However, it is very rare for a 32 year old to have colon cancer. Many times, it is genetic or there is a family history when someone comes up with it that young (of course, this is NOT always the case).

And that's where I'm not sure. I know she had bleeding and that was really the only initial symptom. She was only 26 when she was diagnosed - and she thought she just had hemorrhoids. She'd just had her daughter. No family history at all. Only the bleeding and concerns about her daughter not gaining enough weight from nursing.

So my prior experience is - rectal bleeding = dead from cancer.

I'm very grateful for the nurse who said when scheduling, "It's probably a hemorrhoid." I'm thrilled to hear experiences of people who just had hemorrhoids. That drops the percentages for me (not 100% = cancer). But it's also a good reason to get things checked out. So while I'm not looking forward to prep tomorrow or the check on Friday, I'm looking forward to knowing what's going on. And I'm grateful for hearing of others experiences!

And that's where I'm not sure. I know she had bleeding and that was really the only initial symptom. She was only 26 when she was diagnosed - and she thought she just had hemorrhoids. She'd just had her daughter. No family history at all. Only the bleeding and concerns about her daughter not gaining enough weight from nursing.

So my prior experience is - rectal bleeding = dead from cancer.

I'm very grateful for the nurse who said when scheduling, "It's probably a hemorrhoid." I'm thrilled to hear experiences of people who just had hemorrhoids. That drops the percentages for me (not 100% = cancer). But it's also a good reason to get things checked out. So while I'm not looking forward to prep tomorrow or the check on Friday, I'm looking forward to knowing what's going on. And I'm grateful for hearing of others experiences!

I would think that her bleeding was extensive, maybe black and tarry, didn't stop, kept happening over and over, and so on. If it was enough for a 26 year old (most of which still feel pretty invincible)to go get it checked and pursue it, then it was probably a BIG deal. I have an acquaintance with a co-worker who has cc at a young age. This young woman had horrible bleeding - like a period...only rectal. She bled like this for weeks, maybe even a month or two before she had it checked. It didn't stop, didn't come and go, etc.

Hope all goes well with your procedure and your results are wonderful. :)

ETA: I failed to mention that I, too, have had what you all describe on occasion - 3 times in the last year actually. Each time it was minute and stopped and one time, I can't even swear it happened because I was on AF at that time too. The other two times, it HURT - so hemmorhoids were the likely and obvious culprit.

Edited by Tree House Academy

Bright red bleeding is usually from the lower colon. But you can also have hidden blood in your stool that you cannot see that can come from the upper colon.

Since I have anemia, I am going to ask for a colonoscopy at my GYN's request. Even though I had a clear sigmoid in 2006, my fear is that I have hidden blood in my stool. My anemia is probably due to my periods, but you never know. I could have a bleeding polyp/s in my upper colon. And I hope it isn't cancer!!!

I am almost 43 with no family history of colon cancer other then a maternal great-grandfather. But these days, you just never know.

I am not crazy over getting one, but I guess you do what ya gotta do.

Bright red bleeding is usually from the lower colon. But you can also have hidden blood in your stool that you cannot see that can come from the upper colon.

Since I have anemia, I am going to ask for a colonoscopy at my GYN's request. Even though I had a clear sigmoid in 2006, my fear is that I have hidden blood in my stool. My anemia is probably due to my periods, but you never know. I could have a bleeding polyp/s in my upper colon. And I hope it isn't cancer!!!

I am almost 43 with no family history of colon cancer other then a maternal great-grandfather. But these days, you just never know.

I am not crazy over getting one, but I guess you do what ya gotta do.

You can have a simple fecal occult blood test to determine if there is blood in your stool. I can't imagine that trace amounts of blood in your stool would cause anemia. My grandmother was anemic and never had bleeding anywhere that could be found. She just took iron pills and went on with life. Some people are just anemic.

I had similar problems, turned out to be a mix of internal and external hemorrhoids. The colonoscopy was not nearly as bad as it's sometimes made out to be. The prep wasn't a lot of fun, certainly, but not hideous. I have a first cousin who is only a month older than me who was diagnosed with colon cancer (and successfully treated) right before this happened, which is what led them to go on and do the full colonoscopy. I'm due for one at the 5 year mark from my last one (about the time I turn 51).

I have found that drinking a glass of Metamucil every day really, really helps me. I tried the capsules, but they didn't really do much for me. I get the orange sugar free and mix it in a large glass of water---tastes like Tang to me. If you drink it pretty quickly, you don't get the texture issues that can make it a bit more difficult to drink.

You can have a simple fecal occult blood test to determine if there is blood in your stool. I can't imagine that trace amounts of blood in your stool would cause anemia. My grandmother was anemic and never had bleeding anywhere that could be found. She just took iron pills and went on with life. Some people are just anemic.

Rebecca,

Can you PM me? Or I will PM you. Thanks!:D

How bad was the procedure? What kind of medicine did they give you to sleep? I am seeing my GI on Tuesday and I am going to schedule one. I really don't WANT to, but I think I should to make sure I have nothing going on in my upper colon.

Were the polyps in your lower or upper colon?

Does he feel they are benign?

Will be praying for good results for you.:grouphug:

Do you mind to share what your symptoms were and how long you had been having them?

Symptoms were just a change in bowel habits (slightly looser) and then a "stripe" of blood on the stool. I had something very similar about a year ago, met with a GI, did an occult blood test that didn't show anything, so stopped there and things went back to normal. This time the blood was more obvious and I went in to my family doctor where an occult test showed blood, so I scheduled the colonoscopy. This time, I think I'd been watching and had the bleeding for a couple weeks (2-3?) and I'd see the blood multiple times in a week. It wasn't completely clear that it was blood sometimes and sometimes it was. I also lost a bit of weight in the past 3 months (only about five pounds but that's about 3% loss without trying).

How bad was the procedure? What kind of medicine did they give you to sleep? I am seeing my GI on Tuesday and I am going to schedule one. I really don't WANT to, but I think I should to make sure I have nothing going on in my upper colon.

Were the polyps in your lower or upper colon?

Does he feel they are benign?

Will be praying for good results for you.:grouphug:

The procedure wasn't bad. I probably still would find it easier than a family visit :) I did a day of a liquid diet and prep was four laxative tablets and two bottles (10 oz) of magnesium citrate. Yukky, but nowhere as bad as other preps! Today they hooked me to an IV and the medicine knocked me out quickly so I remember nothing of the actual procedure. Came home and napped through the afternoon.

Dh says the doctor was surprised to find polyps, especially such a large one. Sounds like they were up in the colon but I don't know if it was upper or not. They were easy to remove which is a good sign. He said they could be juvenile polyps (?) or that he also wouldn't be surprised if the "huge" one had precancerous cells. So I'm really glad I had the colonoscopy done (and the doctor said it was very good we did it).

I'm feeling fine now- the nap helped. I'm not terribly concerned right now, but I did tell my sister to get a colonoscopy as well (upon the directions of my GI). If this is cancer, we should have caught it early. If it isn't, it's still an early warning sign and I'll be getting another colonoscopy next year. Prayers for the results being benign are appreciated though! :grouphug:

And how nifty... This is my first time managing to multiple-quote! :D

Symptoms were just a change in bowel habits (slightly looser) and then a "stripe" of blood on the stool. I had something very similar about a year ago, met with a GI, did an occult blood test that didn't show anything, so stopped there and things went back to normal. This time the blood was more obvious and I went in to my family doctor where an occult test showed blood, so I scheduled the colonoscopy. This time, I think I'd been watching and had the bleeding for a couple weeks (2-3?) and I'd see the blood multiple times in a week. It wasn't completely clear that it was blood sometimes and sometimes it was. I also lost a bit of weight in the past 3 months (only about five pounds but that's about 3% loss without trying).

I appreciate this. I do not think you were over-reacting at all. I think I would do the same if I was bleeding with no pain for 2-3 weeks straight. This is something I will be on the look out for. The first time I had an issue was last Oct. and I was on my period at the time. It was hard to tell what came from where. I consulted two doctors (my primary and GYN) and both told me to wait and see. For 9 months, it didn't happen again. Then, in early June or July, I had a painful BM and saw some bright red blood. I definitely DO have hemorrhoids (no denying it at all) and I figured they were the culprit due to the pain and nature of the bm. Well, it stopped that day and all was normal. Then, a week later, it happened once more only this time, the stool had not been hard to pass. It has not happened since this...and trust me, I watch like a HAWK. Hypochondriacs are known for checking poos! LOL

I will be praying that your polyps are nothing. My grandmother had two removed when she was 70 years old and they were nothing. My best friend's dad has every kind of cancer known to man (he is on hospice now), but his polyps were clear too!