Menu

MEP1 or MM1 for DS5

Roxy Roller

My DS5 is totally bored with MUS Primer and does an entire lesson in a day. I have told him to take a break until I figure out what I want to do with him. I love MUS, but I am wondering if I should start him on MEP1 and move through slowly, or maybe Math Mammoth Level 1. I own the light blue levels 1-3, which I have never used. I could always use MUS through the years if he needs some help, since I have Primer-Zeta.

Thank you

I think it is a really personal thing according to your learning type and his. We do both and I greatly prefer MM. I love not having a TM and just following the instructions she provides in the SM. I love that a mathy kid can do it almost alone. I have 4 kids all doing different levels of math... so it is great for us. MEP is good and is a great complement to MM, but I would never have time to follow the TM! I just teach them what they need to know for each lesson myself and get them going. If I had only 1 child, we might do both plus RS. RS has been my son's favorite - the games are fabulous. But I can't manage 4 levels of it!

Edited to say - I say this and then realize my ds5 is only doing MEP1. Ok, so now that I think about it, the reason for this is that I think MEP1 is much easier than MM1. I don't know if this is true at all levels, but even MEP2 is a breeze for my son who is doing MM2. Maybe at some point it levels out and MEP and MM seem the same difficulty at the same levels. And maybe no one agrees with me. But for us, MEP1 is a perfect start for a 5 year old with little previous math instruction.

Edited by walkermamaof4

Has your son tried them yet? Maybe one will be more interesting to him than the other. I couldn't decide between those two programs either, so I gave my daughter a few pages from each. We did both of them for a few weeks before deciding which one. She prefered MM because she likes working more independently. It's working well so far, and I know that we can add some MEP if needed.

Thank you all for your input. I really like the puzzles that are in MEP, and I have printed out the first six weeks. In reality though, my days are very full with 5 kids in K to 6th Grade, and I am probably kidding myself if I think I am going to use MEP with the TM. I should probably get out my MM (I have the Light Blue Series 1-3) and start on it, maybe adding in the puzzles that would be appropriate. I think my DS5 would rather work independently than wait for me.