Menu

Turkey Stew?

I have issues from my childhood regarding turkey stew. Seriously. My youngest bro was born Xmas day, and when Dad called to ask Mom what to do with the defrosted turkey in the fridge, she gave him several anatomically impossible suggestions.

So, he put it in a pan, basted it once (hid mom told him to baste it) and left it on the roaring woodstove overnight.

In the am, it was welded to the pan. So, he dumped in water, a whole (as in not peeled or chopped) onion, and a bag of froz veggies. He then started feeding it to us for breakfast, lunch and supper until my Mom came home. This was in the 80s, so it wasn't a 'birth and turf' situation. Even the bribe of After 8 mints at breakfast didn't make that any easier. My younger bro was the lucky one and was given toast b/c he was only 14 mths old and started sobbing after a single bite.

All that to say that I've never, EVER made turkey stew in my life. And also after that, just the words "turkey stew" from my mom had us running from the room and trying to get the flu from a neighbourhood kid (true story. I was caught trying to visit. Anything to get out of turkey stew). So I never learned to make it either.

If anyone has a really good recipe, I'd love to have it. Its chilly here, Wolf works outside, and I know he'd appreciate it for supper. And I have cooked turkey in the freezer from Thanksgiving a week ago.

Thanks!

That is hysterical!!

:lol:

I make stock from the turkey carcassm first by letting it spend all day in the crockpot with water, a couple celery stalks, some carrots and an onion.

Then after it cooked for awhile I would strain out the stock and add chopped veggies, make up some egg noodles and add those and the cooked turkey.

I have issues from my childhood regarding turkey stew. Seriously. My youngest bro was born Xmas day, and when Dad called to ask Mom what to do with the defrosted turkey in the fridge, she gave him several anatomically impossible suggestions.

So, he put it in a pan, basted it once (hid mom told him to baste it) and left it on the roaring woodstove overnight.

In the am, it was welded to the pan. So, he dumped in water, a whole (as in not peeled or chopped) onion, and a bag of froz veggies. He then started feeding it to us for breakfast, lunch and supper until my Mom came home. This was in the 80s, so it wasn't a 'birth and turf' situation. Even the bribe of After 8 mints at breakfast didn't make that any easier. My younger bro was the lucky one and was given toast b/c he was only 14 mths old and started sobbing after a single bite.

All that to say that I've never, EVER made turkey stew in my life. And also after that, just the words "turkey stew" from my mom had us running from the room and trying to get the flu from a neighbourhood kid (true story. I was caught trying to visit. Anything to get out of turkey stew). So I never learned to make it either.

If anyone has a really good recipe, I'd love to have it. Its chilly here, Wolf works outside, and I know he'd appreciate it for supper. And I have cooked turkey in the freezer from Thanksgiving a week ago.

Thanks!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Omg, this is truly a treasure. I would write this down for my kiddos in a treasure book!

Everybody's just laughing at my paaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiin, nobody's actually posted a stew recipe I can use my frozen turkey in.

You're all a bunch of big meanie poo poo heads. I'm gonna sit in the corner and eat woooooooorrrrrrrmsssss *runs off crying*

:tongue_smilie:

Seriously though, a recipe would be good! :lol: