Menu

The French are Always good for a Laugh

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101020/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_france_retirement_strikes

I especially love the "tranquility" squad in special red jackets.

And your last memory of France: a 10 mile hike down the shoulder, baggage in tow.

(p.s. this really isn't laughing at the French...they are just humans like all of us, but they certainly are confident in their ability to speak up, so the various human foibles are a bit more visible.)

At least they involved? At least they are passionate? At least they understand the change?

I think RIOTING because retirement age is being raised from 60 to 62 in a country with a life expectancy of 77-80 is crazy.

I think this quote emphasizes the...err...dramatic national personality in question:

"It's Baghdad here," said Lionel Philippe, who arrived at Orly after much difficulty because of protesters blocking access to the airport — only to find his flight to Biarritz canceled.
"My flight was canceled, this is madness! It's a war zone!!" Really? I mean....REALLY?

I"m just sayin'... LOL

Edited by Mrs Mungo

"Burn a car, get a job. Plain as day." I'm sorry, I'm stupid so that wasn't plain to me (or else I'm stupid and don't understand your comment at all, lol).

Is retirement *mandatory*? I assumed there was more than one reason for the rioting over this, though, and was joking on the premise that people just didn't want to have to work 2 more years. Obviously that's not the only thing in play here.

LOL, since when do teens and twenty-somethings *care* about retirement!?! (Yes, we are just looking for an excuse, any excuse, to protest!) Geesh, it's only two years and that's still 3 less than the average American retirement (and aren't we going to be moving that up to 70 soon?) Methinks this protest is a bit of a non sequitur.....

"Burn a car, get a job. Plain as day." I'm sorry, I'm stupid so that wasn't plain to me (or else I'm stupid and don't understand your comment at all, lol).

Is retirement *mandatory*? I assumed there was more than one reason for the rioting over this, though, and was joking on the premise that people just didn't want to have to work 2 more years. Obviously that's not the only thing in play here.

I believe that the issues are these:

The government pension age is to be increased. Older people are not happy about this because they want to retire earlier; younger people are not happy because they feel that they will not get good jobs if older people stay in work; people don't like change; France has a continuing history of student unrest.

FWIW, it was announced today that the state (government) pension age in the UK is to be increased to 66. Husband and I expect to work well past that, but that is the age when we will start getting government retirement money. I haven't heard about any mass demonstrations being planned.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin