Menu

What to do? Bad driver on street is policeman

We live on a quiet cul-de-sac and the kids on the street often ride bikes or scooters. There is a sidewalk on one side which ends (at the policeman's house) and goes into the cul-de-sac. My dds usually ride on the sidewalk and then go round the cul-de-sac and then repeat. There is a policeman on our street who is a scary driver. I've told the girls to try their best to stay far away from him when they see him in his car. (Of course, then they ask why the policeman is such a bad driver:glare:) He zooms around and I don't think he ever looks. A few months ago he was halfway down the street, stopped, put the car in reverse and shot back to his house. My older dd barely made it out of his way. Today he almost got younger dd. She saw him go to his car and so she stopped on the side of the cul-de-sac away from his house. He backed out and just kept reversing into the cul-de-sac and dd had to scurry. Then he zoomed down the street. There is very little traffic and everyone else on our street are careful drivers and they slow down even though most of the kids are on the sidewalk. I don't want to make an enemy of the policeman but I'm worried someone's going to get hurt. What can I do that won't make things bad for us?

I say anonymous note to start. After that I would simply call the police. What kind of police officer is he? Around here the locals hate the State cops so that would be beneficial for you. He is subject to the same laws. Have it on tape and take it straight to the magistrate. They can issue a ticket on a tape around here. I have a jerk neighbor who loves to blow the stop sign at the end of the street and I have him on tape doing it. After he realized that he magically found the brake pedal!:glare:

You need to start documenting it. Write down the dates and a description of the two times he almost hit your daughters. If you can, have your DH talk to him (also document it).

If he does hit someone, it will be a cops word against a kids (maybe a dead kids). So you need to make sure you have information in case anything happens or in case you need it to talk to the police department.

I feel your pain! Even though the front of our police station is on a main thorough fare, the back lot entrance is into a neighborhood - mine! We live a block down on the same street the lot is on and the worst offenders of speeding through the neighborhood is the police in their patrol cars. :001_huh:

My kids play out front a lot. I have taken to waving at the police and telling my kids to do the same, just a friendly reminder of "Hi, we play here!" Not all of them do it but there have been several times I have been tempted to call and complain.

Thanks, everyone! I never thought about taping him but I'll work on how to get that done now. My dh does want to talk to him but I've talked him out of it so far. I may also try a note and see what happens. Any other suggestions are welcome too!

Thanks, everyone! I never thought about taping him but I'll work on how to get that done now. My dh does want to talk to him but I've talked him out of it so far. I may also try a note and see what happens. Any other suggestions are welcome too!

I think your dh is right. Let him handle it.

Some cops just don't follow the rules simply because they don't feel like it. My cousin used to be a cop. He would drive 65 mph down city streets whenever he had a ride-along just because he could get away with it. He would also flip on his lights and sirens to get through a red light he felt was taking too long. Needless to say... he's not a cop anymore.

I don't see anything wrong with talking to the officer about it either. Being he's a cop and should know better, I don't know as I would have any great expectations of change, but I think it would be a place to start.

I don't see anything wrong with talking to him either, unless past experience (yours or other neighbors') already show he's unreasonable when approached.

I'd let my dh talk to the guy. A friendly conversation, "I know you probably didn't see them, but my little girls were pretty scared the other day. They thought you might run them over. Think you could slow down and watch for them? I think they'd feel safer. Thanks, neighbor," is certainly appropriate. Just as it would be with a neighbor who is a plumber or a doctor or an accountant.

If he is a jerk or doesn't change his ways, the videotaping and calling the police are good ideas. But sometimes the simplest and most direct solution is best.

Cat

Do you have a neighborly relationship with him otherwise? If so, can you approach him with something along the lines of, "Joe, I'm teaching my kids about street safety and safe driving...and er...you're kind of killing my teachings with the example you've been setting lately on the street. Everything alright?"

Yeah, I'd imply that it is a recent problem, even if it isn't, because it gives him some wiggle room to come up with an excuse. In this instance, you aren't trying to be right, you are trying to get some behavior changed, and he may need time and space to come to a place where he's willing to change. Hence, the wiggle room.

Good luck! :grouphug: