Menu

Help--wasps.

I've killed 2. I was fine w/ that. Brave, even. When the 2nd one flew across the sch table, I thought it looked like it came from the fp. Called dh, he says we'll have a fire tonight, & that will solve that.

But now a 3rd one's flying thr the living room, & I'm losing it. Heebie jeebies. And I realized that the house still smells like wasp spray from the 1st 2. Killing these guys all day long might kill my dc's brain cells, & as a hs mom, I've invested so much in those, I hate to risk them.

So I'm thinking the ONLY course of action at this point is to run away from home. Wake sleeping babies, throw them in the van, & run for our lives.

Until dh gets here to build a fire in 90 degree Oct Tx.

And church tonight is just out of the question. We're having a crisis.

Am I right? I'm putting my shoes on in case y'all agree. Better ideas are, of course, welcome. :D

We've had trouble with bees coming in through the fireplace; the damper doesn't close tight enough. What we've done is seal off the front of the fireplace with wrapping paper or cardboard (taped all around and to the floor). Wait a few days until they're gone. We've had to do this three times. (Apparently the first time, they left behind a scent that attracts more bees.) I keep meaning to get a better damper.

Wendi

Dh was going to start a fire to get rid of the wasps, but a lady I ran into today said that would be bad--burn your house down or something.

She said there's a kind of bug bomb for wasps in the chimney, & you put it in the fireplace, leave the house for 30 min, & then have someone clean the chimney out before you have your next fire.

My mom just called, though, & said a fire will work fine, but it needs to be a smokey one. :confused:

I'd rather not do a smokey fire, dh's allergies couldn't take it. A regular fire would be fine, if it's safe. The bug bomb, by the time he gets it, will probably mean we have to spend the night w/ ils. I don't think it will be aired out in time for the dc to sleep here, but that's because 2 sprays of wasp spray before 2PM today is still noticeable when you walk in the door at 7PM. I don't know if that's poor ventilation or what, but it doesn't seem safe to do a bug bomb of any kind after 8PM.

So really--would a fire be safe & effective? Dh & I can stay up w/ that. Or do we need to go ahead & spend the night w/ ils while we bomb? (It's an hr drive, & there's not an extra bed. Terrible sleeping.)

TIA!

We must have a nest in our walls. They've been coming inside in hordes every day. It was getting so ridiculous that I finally started tallying them one morning - 18 in one day!! :svengo:

I must add that I've always been unreasonably terrified of wasps (run screaming from the room type), but I've slowly gotten better as I've had kids - trying not to pass on my phobia to them! Fortunately this nest (whereever the heck it is) is of fairly timid yellow jackets that have been attracted to nice flat window panes where I can squish them easily, not those long-legged brown ones that like to hover up by the ceiling and seem to be intent on flying into my hair, or worst yet, bald-faced hornets. Those I still run screaming from...

We've had trouble with bees coming in through the fireplace; the damper doesn't close tight enough. What we've done is seal off the front of the fireplace with wrapping paper or cardboard (taped all around and to the floor). Wait a few days until they're gone. We've had to do this three times. (Apparently the first time, they left behind a scent that attracts more bees.) I keep meaning to get a better damper.

Wendi

Oh, duh. I read this, but it didn't even occur to me to do that *here.*

So we're good for now & will figure out what to do later when the panic has died off. :D

Oh, duh. I read this, but it didn't even occur to me to do that *here.*

So we're good for now & will figure out what to do later when the panic has died off. :D

After nightmares that I somehow bumped the thing covering the fp & let them out--nightmares in which my bug spray aim wasn't as good as irl--guess what just floated over my head?

Another. wasp.

After killing him, I checked the card table dh put in front of the fp--there are no openings. I have no idea how he got in, but he still came from the general direction of the fp. No windows over there...I don't know. And I just heard the thump of another one.

I'm seriously freaked out. Thank goodness I'm not one of you guys experiencing snakes. :svengo:

The second post from you today reminding me why I am glad we moved across the country :D

We had those horrid red wasps that will actually chase you down for no reason, when we lived in Texas. They made their nest in the trees next to the walkway from where we parked the car to the house. My husband sprayed them, but they always came back. I vividly remember running from the car to the house, while carrying a newborn and a toddler.

Krista

The second post from you today reminding me why I am glad we moved across the country :D

We had those horrid red wasps that will actually chase you down for no reason, when we lived in Texas. They made their nest in the trees next to the walkway from where we parked the car to the house. My husband sprayed them, but they always came back. I vividly remember running from the car to the house, while carrying a newborn and a toddler.

Krista

Want company? :D

No wonder they indoctrinate us to love Tx as children--otherwise we'd all leave once we found out that the grass is actually GREEN elsewhere. :lol:

Want company? :D

No wonder they indoctrinate us to love Tx as children--otherwise we'd all leave once we found out that the grass is actually GREEN elsewhere. :lol:

Sure! Not only is the grass greener and the trees taller, but we are 90-minutes from the ocean, and 90-minutes from the mountains. You'll want to come soon though, since the rainy season is upon us!

I am also happy to not be dealing with scorpions and rattlesnakes :ack2: I got stung on my back, while sleeping, IN MY BED, when I was pregnant with my youngest son. The scorpions were so bad, we didn't even open the windows when the weather was nice. Screens alone would not keep them out.

And the rattlesnakes....there is nothing like having to go check every nook and cranny in your yard, before you can let your kids go out and play. The only snakes we have here are garter snakes.

Glad I am not thinking about all this before I go to bed!

Krista

Sure! Not only is the grass greener and the trees taller, but we are 90-minutes from the ocean, and 90-minutes from the mountains. You'll want to come soon though, since the rainy season is upon us!

I am also happy to not be dealing with scorpions and rattlesnakes :ack2: I got stung on my back, while sleeping, IN MY BED, when I was pregnant with my youngest son. The scorpions were so bad, we didn't even open the windows when the weather was nice. Screens alone would not keep them out.

And the rattlesnakes....there is nothing like having to go check every nook and cranny in your yard, before you can let your kids go out and play. The only snakes we have here are garter snakes.

Glad I am not thinking about all this before I go to bed!

Krista

Stop it. You're giving me the heebie jeebies. I've been here all my life & never seen a snake worse than a garter snake (except in the zoo) or a scorpion. ACK!

(You can tell I'm a city girl, huh?)

Stop it. You're giving me the heebie jeebies. I've been here all my life & never seen a snake worse than a garter snake (except in the zoo) or a scorpion. ACK!

(You can tell I'm a city girl, huh?)

You'll have to go northwest to get to the rattlesnakes! The horrendous scorpion problem we had, was when we lived down in Austin. If you stay right where you are, you should be okay, well with the exception of the wasps :tongue_smilie: Have you tried one of those hanging traps - you know the kind wasp are attracted to, fly into, and then get trapped and die?

Krista