Menu

I accidentally bought 10 dozen eggs

Without thinking I grabbed *2* of the 5 dozen packages (they were on top of each other).

I was at Costco with the kids. I was bone-tired (still am) and am annoyed with the DH, so I wasn't focused on the task at hand. Those are my excuses.

Crud.

We can eat 5 dozen in a month or so. But, TEN dozen? egads.

So, please wise women, what do I do with an extra 5 dozen eggs????

help.:tongue_smilie:

Make some quiches--they can be frozen and used later. Make pumpkin bread mini loaves (my recipe uses 5 eggs and makes 5 mini loaves). Make deviled eggs. Hard-boil eggs and use them in a chef's salad. Make omelets for dinner one night. Do a lot of baking and freezing. Donate to a food pantry.

Whole eggs can be frozen by removing them from the shells and stirring slightly to break up the yolk. Put one in each section of an ice cube tray to freeze separately, then put them in baggies so you can only grab what you need. Thaw in refrigerator one day before using.

:iagree:

Quiches are good, too.

But if you really think you aren't going to use them....donate them. A local food pantry would greatly appreciate them!

You can freeze them by lightly scrambling them either individually or in groups of 2 since that's the amount (or some variation thereof) in most recipes. Once scrambled, put them in freezer bags or freezer containers. They should be good for 6-9 months. Thaw them in the fridge one day before using. This works great for making cookies, breads, and cakes at the holidays.

I would say they should last just fine, even without freezing. We go through more than that a month here but I use to buy the same when my youngest was a baby and sometimes would have them in the frig for months and they lasted.

:lurk5: Eggs can keep a lot longer than people realize.

Or you could make approximately 360 muffins for the freezer with the extras. :D

I strongly second the stock up your freezer with baked goods (like quick breads, waffles, muffins, etc.) and quiche suggestions.

I would also make several batches of cookies. Most cookies can be frozen uncooked, but already formed (as in, balled or, if it's something that requires cross-hatching, do that first) and stored that way for a few months. You can put them in the oven still frozen at a slightly lower temperature and cook them longer - usually 300 degrees for 30 minutes instead of 350 degrees for 15 minutes like when they're unfrozen. There's also icebox cookie recipes where you freeze the dough in a log and slice the cookies. You have to put them on a plate on wax paper to freeze them, but then the next day, you pop them off and toss them in a ziploc and then you can have fresh cookies whenever you want. It's lovely. I always keep cookies in the freezer.

Bake quick breads for Christmas gifts. Just freeze them until needed!

:iagree:

Our family goes through more than a dozen eggs each day!!!! We each eat 2 − 4 eggs for breakfast. Our cholesterol is very low. Eggs have lecithin in them and that helps with the absorption of the cholesterol. So, can you just do a lot of scrambled eggs?

If not I'd do a lot of baking for Christmas!