Menu

Saxon Math and Engineering Career...thoughts?

My 8th grade son has expressed a desire to go to the Airforce Academy and major in Computer Science. He's a smart, hard working kid and does well in math as well as all of his subjects. He is not gifted in math or anything else. He's taken one standardized test, the Iowa Basic. He tested at grade 13+ in just about everything (can't remember all of the categories) except for math/problem solving. He scored grade 9+. He took the test at the end of 7th grade. He is almost finished with Saxon Algebra 1/2 and gets mostly A's on the tests with a few B's. My plan was to take him all the way through high school with Saxon. But now with his new plans and the comments that I've read on here I'm re-thinking my Saxon plans. This is really throwing me for a loop. I'm not keen on switching but I do not want to handicap his chances of getting in or his chances of success if he gets in.

Does anyone have dc out there who did well post-high school in a math-oriented field having used Saxon exclusively through high school? Anyone have the opposite experience?

My favorite thing about Saxon is that I understand it, at least this far, and can help him if he gets stuck. I don't have a lot of money for extra classes, IRL, online, or DVD. I really need a self-teaching math course that, at least, I can figure out. I am not particuarly math-oriented but did well in highschool math and my token college algebra class.

If Saxon isn't the right course to put him on, or keep him on rather, what do you recommend? I don't care if something is long or boring. I just need it to be challenging yet well explained and affordable. Solutions manuals are a must. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!

I used to teach exclusively from Saxon. The program worked BEST for my students who liked science (and computers). Many of my former students are now engineers with master's degrees in Math and Science!

Some students get frustrated with Saxon Algebra 1 and above because they need to focus on one concept--and all of the related material instead of skipping around. For these students a more traditional program is best.

If Saxon is working for your son there is NO REASON to change programs. If your son is getting frustrated then by all means switch. (I've found it to be one of those all or nothing decisions).

I now teach from a Traditional program (Lial) because it can be adapted to a wider range of learning styles.

I used to teach exclusively from Saxon. The program worked BEST for my students who liked science (and computers). Many of my former students are now engineers with master's degrees in Math and Science!

Some students get frustrated with Saxon Algebra 1 and above because they need to focus on one concept--and all of the related material instead of skipping around. For these students a more traditional program is best.

If Saxon is working for your son there is NO REASON to change programs. If your son is getting frustrated then by all means switch. (I've found it to be one of those all or nothing decisions).

I now teach from a Traditional program (Lial) because it can be adapted to a wider range of learning styles.

Thank you so very much for sharing with me. I was beginning to think that Saxon was good enough for Lit majors and not much else. He loves Saxon. I love Saxon. I know that we have a tough road ahead of us and for some reason being able to travel that road with Saxon makes me breathe easier. :001_smile:

Rebecca my dd and I are so glad we went with Saxon and have stayed with them. We've only got one more book to go before we'll be forced to use something different. It has been excellent preparation for the math she's been using in science. :)

As far as problem solving, I think it's great, no matter what math program is used (maybe with the exception of Art of Problem Solving), to include some separate problem solving. SAT math prep books are good for that as are AoPS and others.

He loves Saxon. I love Saxon. I know that we have a tough road ahead of us and for some reason being able to travel that road with Saxon makes me breathe easier. :001_smile:
Even though Saxon was a bust for our family (none of my 3 kids could work with it!), you really answered your own question with the above statement. He will learn MUCH better if he loves the program! And if you love it too, you will be able to help him better! There are MANY stories of kids going on and doing very well with things such as what your son is interested in after using Saxon all the way through!

I agree, "If it aint broke, don't fix it!" :)

Now, if he was struggling or not like it, I'd say try to find a different program that works well with his learning style. But it's working, has a good track record, so go for it! :D

My 20 yo did Saxon through Advanced math then went to the CC for calculus. He is in his 3rd year of engineering school and has earned A's in all his math classes.

My 12th grader also went through Saxon Adv. math and is currently taking Calculus at the CC and has an A, so far.

They also both scored well on the ACT test.