Menu

Help!! Exteme math dawdling!!

Happy2BaMom

DS, 8, is very bright. Last spring he tested 97%ile in math on general academic test (I mention this to establish the fact that ds has math capability). We are in Singapore 2B now, so we are only a few months ahead of his grade level. This fall ds has really started dawdling during math work (and only math).

This morning it took him 40 minutes to complete 10 word problems (these were in the TB, not CWP). Of those, he had to re-do 4 of them, for silly errors such as writing "57 - 92" instead of "92 - 57". He doodles on his paper, looks off into space, and at times when he writes his problems/answers, his handwriting is illegible & he has to re-do them.

Ds says that "he can't concentrate" in math, and that he can "force myself to concentrate, but it's really hard". We sometimes suspect ADD but he has no problem concentrating on other subjects, and sometimes he zips through math. Memory seems to be an issue, though - he gets the concepts quickly, but on his times tables we have had to review a lot.

I don't know whether to try to make him "buckle down" or ....... I'm not sure what.

Has anyone else run into this? What does the hive think? Is there anything I should do?

He is our oldest / first hsed child, so I don't have a lot of experience to go on.

Guest TheBugsMom

Have you tried a timer?

I had a few that dawdled. The timer helped keep their focus. I did it several ways: race the timer (used an minute sand timer), so many minutes per sections, and so much time per page.

some ideas:

1. get a big whiteboard and let him do the problems on there in different color pens. My 8 yo son loves doing his Singapore on the whiteboard. It's fun. :)

2. Switch it up. Instead of doing 10 word problems,do three, and then work out of the IP a litle, and then do some flashmaster. Mixing it up keeps him on his toes and makes him feel like the end is nearer, even if it's not LOL.

3, A timer helps, for sure.

4. break up math into two daily sessions instead of 1.

I would suspect the work is too easy. Bright kids tend to get distracted when they are not challenged. If he is 8 being in 2B seems "behind" (not ahead) for a very bright child who is good at math. My 6 year old is in 2A and complains it is too easy sometimes, and he sharpens up when the challenge increases.

I would at least try throwing something at your son that really engages his thinking faculties, because his "symptoms" sound like classic "boredom" and the fall-out from a lack of intellectual challenge, and like his head is out of the game.

My 2 cents.

Bill

I would suspect the work is too easy. Bright kids tend to get distracted when they are not challenged. If he is 8 being in 2B seems "behind" (not ahead) for a very bright child who is good at math.

:iagree: Have you done the placement test with him recently?

ETA: Also I would cut the number of problems too. Very bright math kids don't need to do 10 word problems. Maybe select 3 of the hardest and that's it.

Edited by MissKNG

That's why I love this board - it would never have occurred to me to check to see if he is bored/not stimulated enough. I have this paranoia about "gaps" so sometimes drag things out too much, I think.

I'll try and placement test and picking up the pace a bit and see if that helps.

I also like the idea of the timer - can you beat the clock type of thing?

Thanks!

My dd tends to be pokey with math also. What I do is set the timer for 30 minutes and whatever is not done in 30 minutes is done after the rest of our schoolwork is done. I know she could do it faster if she would get down to business. Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't, but it her choice.

I have good luck with giving a set amount to do and if they are done correctly and with out wasting time, then we will skip the next ones.

So today he every other one of two pages. He did it at a good speed and only missed one problem. I made him finish the other problems in that section. Then we skipped the first word problem page and he did the "Take the Challenge" word problems (we are doing the IP book). He got all those right so he was done. If he had missed one I would have made him work on the other word problems.

I am sorry. How the heck did my kid get over to your house?

I have a dawdler. Oh boy, do I ever. The doodles..the careless errors. Ergh.

Anyway, I handle it a couple ways. My son is older (10 yrs) and so YMMV. We do math first thing in the morning. That seems to make a difference. I also don't ever let his dawdle throw our day. If he takes two hours to do his math then I guess we have a long school day. it's up to him.

I stay close by. I don't ever walk away for more than a few mins. That is just asking for trouble. I have recently started frequently checking his answers, before he is finished with his whole worksheet. That way, if he is making a (stupid) er..careless error we can catch it before he makes it more than once. That was a big one.

I am embarassed to say this but I give him a little treat for every question without doodles and careless errors. It doesn't always work.

For my eldest, the dawdle isn't due to the work being easy. He is a 5th grader and doing 5th grade Sinapore and 4th grade MEP. It is due to the fact that he only rarely visits this reality. I am pretty sure his real life involves many more hobbits and elves and LEPricons and Greek Gods and other such things. Our house is only a place to visit for food. And math.

I have 2 Math Dawdlers as well-2 sons-Ages 8 and 11...What worked/is working for us, if every time they start getting off task, start goofing off-I make a check mark-Each check mark represents MY CHOICE of however many minutes they must sit and do Math worksheets in the evening-which is THEIR Time for either playing with friends, Playing videogames, watching tv, etc.

Each Checkmark can represent anywhere from 3-5 minutes...MY Choice..lol The more they dawdle-the LONGER the minutes will be...see a pattern here? :)

Once they started seeing how quickly those checkmarks can add up,

It has been very effective in keeping them focused during School time. :)

I am sorry. How the heck did my kid get over to your house?

I have a dawdler. Oh boy, do I ever. The doodles..the careless errors. Ergh.

Anyway, I handle it a couple ways. My son is older (10 yrs) and so YMMV. We do math first thing in the morning. That seems to make a difference. I also don't ever let his dawdle throw our day. If he takes two hours to do his math then I guess we have a long school day. it's up to him.

I stay close by. I don't ever walk away for more than a few mins. That is just asking for trouble. I have recently started frequently checking his answers, before he is finished with his whole worksheet. That way, if he is making a (stupid) er..careless error we can catch it before he makes it more than once. That was a big one.

I am embarassed to say this but I give him a little treat for every question without doodles and careless errors. It doesn't always work.

For my eldest, the dawdle isn't due to the work being easy. He is a 5th grader and doing 5th grade Sinapore and 4th grade MEP. It is due to the fact that he only rarely visits this reality. I am pretty sure his real life involves many more hobbits and elves and LEPricons and Greek Gods and other such things. Our house is only a place to visit for food. And math.

:lol::lol::lol: I got my ab workout laughing over this post!!! Love it!!

For my eldest, the dawdle isn't due to the work being easy. He is a 5th grader and doing 5th grade Sinapore and 4th grade MEP. It is due to the fact that he only rarely visits this reality. I am pretty sure his real life involves many more hobbits and elves and LEPricons and Greek Gods and other such things. Our house is only a place to visit for food.

This is SO my son.

I'm comforted that there is more than one of him out there.