Menu

Playmobil Advent Calendars-are they worth it?

My Children enjoy them. I got mine on ebay for less than list price, even with shipping, but this was a few years ago..

It does take prep work to set it all up, unlike the chocolate advent calendars.. lol.. but the kids do enjoy them. Until this past year we had 1 for the family.. each child took a turn opening a box.. I did get another for this year, even though it worked fine with having just 1 for the family last year..

Dd received one for a b-day present one year (b-day is near Christmas), and she loves hers. It has become a tradition she looks forward to each year. She loves choc advent calendars, too, but this is one she can actually play with.

Another idea that might not cost you much depending on what you have on your bookshelves: wrap your Christmas books up individually, place them in a special basket, your children can select one to read each night leading up to Christmas (we have collected enough to last the month, but you could start it according to how many books your family has). Or you could use this same idea to count down the 12 days of Christmas. The fun of it comes with the kids not knowing (at least until they figure out the weight and size of the books under the wrapping) what they are pulling out. :)

My kids have loved them. I've picked up a few on clearance over the years, and saved for the following Christmas. I do NOT give my kids two. They take turns opening the windows and adding the new pieces to the overall arrangement (which gets rearranged over the course of the month). Since my kids are 2.5 years apart, at Christmas time one of them is always an even number and one is an odd -- so they open windows accordingly. This year ds will open the first window, but dd will get to open Christmas eve.

We have had a Playmobil advent calendar for gosh, 8 or 9 years! The kids rotate opening the boxes and I rotate who opens the first one so that everyone gets a chance to open the prized boxes.

year 1: J, E, D, J, E, D...

year 2: E, D, J...

year 3: D, J, E...

repeat

(Yes, check the ages in my signature :lol: )

Dd received one for a b-day present one year (b-day is near Christmas), and she loves hers. It has become a tradition she looks forward to each year. She loves choc advent calendars, too, but this is one she can actually play with.

Another idea that might not cost you much depending on what you have on your bookshelves: wrap your Christmas books up individually, place them in a special basket, your children can select one to read each night leading up to Christmas (we have collected enough to last the month, but you could start it according to how many books your family has). Or you could use this same idea to count down the 12 days of Christmas. The fun of it comes with the kids not knowing (at least until they figure out the weight and size of the books under the wrapping) what they are pulling out. :)

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

I gave one to my older DS last year, and he loved it! It was the Santa + woodland creatures set. It is still out and he still plays with it all the time. I'm not sure I'll do it again though, as thieves jumping out windows and knights with battle axes don't seem quite Christmas-y to me. :tongue_smilie: We'll see though. It was pretty great last year.

We've got 3 different ones that I had gotten for half price after Christmas various years. I only have 2 kids so we rotate them out and use 2 each year. The kids are 12 and 14 and they still love them. I bought one for my nephew's first Christmas last year even though he is too young for it because we love ours so much.

ABSOLUTELY! We've used ours for years. Last year, the kids were 11, 13 and 17 and they still loved opening those boxes and setting the scenes. We have 2 of them and put them both out.

I'm about to buy the $35 Lego advent calendar to add to this year's layout. They are just too cool for words.

The boys loved them last year. Most of the fun is the opening up of it, and no, the pieces themselves aren't really worth it if you add it up, but the joy is.

It is a lot of work setting up, though.

Ben's getting the castle Lego one this year; Nathan's getting the forest Playmobil one. I asked them which they wanted.

For Aaron, I'm going to buy one of the ones with wooden drawers and put candy, cash and little things in it.

We bought Dd-now-14 the nativity scene set many years ago. Someone the same year gave her the Playmobil viking ship. The morning after Christmas Day, the Holy Family was missing from the nativity scene. Upon inquiry, we learned that they were being held hostage by the vikings and would have to be ransomed back.

So, beware of combined sets.

We love them and the Lego Advent Calendars. I don't like the newest Playmobil because they don't have anything Christmasy in them. :confused: I love Santa. :D We also have all kinds of Christian Advent things. I love the Playmobil Nativity Set. The kids have played with it for many years.

We have, I think, 4 different Playmobil Advent calendars.

Every year my dc choose which one they will open (they each get their own).

After Christmas I put all the pieces back in the little boxes to re-use the next year.

I wanted to buy a new one this year, but it looks like the only Christmassy one is the same as last year's. :(

• 1 month later...