Menu

I've never heard of the first name before but I know you will think its cute once you see the cute little girl!

FWIW, I was kind of annoyed when my father-in-law tried to give our child a nickname (not a cute one like "little buddy" but one that was shortening his name in a strange way) right after he was born. DH was annoyed too, and told his dad right away that his attempts at nicknaming him showed us that he didn't like the name we chose. Fortunately, FIL hasn't done it again. :)

I don't like it.

Then again...My mother had a complete hissy fit/mental breakdown when we told her what we were naming Tazzie. She did the same when I told her Diva's name. Only Princess has a name that she didn't freak about. Funny thing, my kids don't have unusual names, exotic spellings, etc. I personally think that she was ticked not to be consulted/have a vote/have her name used.

Sooo...basically what I'm saying is to smile and nod, enjoy your grandbaby and go with whatever her parents decide in the name department.

That doesn't mean that you can't hope and pray they change their minds when they meet her though ;)

I'm not crazy about names that most people can not pronounce or spell easily without having to spell/pronounce your name each time someone asks.

I like names that are rare and unique but as I commented in another thread about names, I think it is hard on the child as they go through life, business etc with a name most don't know how to say or spell it.

We're exact opposites on this one! :001_smile:

I first heard the name Fallan about 8 years ago, and I've loved it ever since. It's a beautiful name, IMO, that doesn't need a nickname or a shortened version.

BTW, nicknames and shortened names are not always appreciated. You might do better just coming up with a cute name not at all associated with your granddaughter's actual name - something special that you can use with her. I was (and still am) "princess" to my grandmother (and no one else could ever have gotten away with that!) and Minnehaha to my grandfather. I am Kimmie to my dearest, closest friends, but should anyone shorten it even more, it's like nails scraping on a chalkboard! Ugh!

My dd on the other hand, abhors her given name, and insists on a shortened version of her name or wishes to be called whatever character she is at the moment. Luckily, I really love the shortened version of her name, and it suits her. Most of the time, though, she is simply Boo (as in Monster's Inc, not as in To Kill a Mockingbird - though now that I know her personality, she would have made a perfect Scout) to those closest to her. It has nothing to do with her given name but suits her well and fulfills some sort of need we have to create a special-just-between-those-who-love-her term of endearment.

Perhaps the name Fallan will grow on you, but if not, I have a feeling you'll have no trouble coming up with something special to call her once you get to know her.

Congrats on the news of a granddaughter!

Personally, I think it sounds like a 1980's, big hair, TV show name; but I don't get to vote and neither do you. Smile at the cute baby and call her dumpling or some such!

:iagree:Yeah, there was a character on some show, maybe that one Lorenzo Lamas was in, uhhhhh, can't think of it. Falcon Crest?

Their was a couple in our church that named their dd this, except spelling it Fallon. It isn't my favorite, but ok I guess. I have noticed that most people don't propnounce it Fowl-in like the parents. They tend to mispronouce it when they see it in writing and say Fall- in.

but I don't get to vote and neither do you. Smile at the cute baby and call her dumpling or some such!

:iagree:

When we found out we were having a girl with my now 14yo daughter we told my inlaws that we were going to name her Brenna. My mil made a face and said, "Why would you name her that? How about Sierra or Brianna?" I was hormonal and hurt.;)

We stayed with Brenna and dh and I both still love it! Dd used to insist her name was Mary but she grew out of it.:lol:

When I was pregnant with the now 5yo, we chose not to tell anyone what we were naming him until he was actually born and named. We invited the older kids into the room after delivery and we all 4 chose his name together and then told everyone how special it was that we let the kids help us choose. What were they going to say then?;)

We found out yesterday that our ds (well my step son), and his wife are going to be having a girl.

The name they have chosen is:

Fallan Cynthia

I like the middle name, but the first name, not so much.

I can not even come up with a nickname or shortening of it.

So, what do you think of the name?

I think a name is what you make of it. My brother told me he didn't like the name we had chosen for our first daughter, which is a classic french name..... nothing odd. And I immediately thought, what a strange thing to say. Look at this child, this miracle. I don't care what you think of her name. I didn't consider whether or not you would approve when we named her. She is beautiful. She is perfect. Celebrate with us.

Personally, I think it sounds like a 1980's, big hair, TV show name; but I don't get to vote and neither do you. Smile at the cute baby and call her dumpling or some such!

I think there was a character in Dynasty or The Colby's named Fallon. That might be why you have that association. And her's was pronounced more like F<short a> in. Like the name Al.

We have not made any comment on the name except to say that it is a nice name.

I guess I am not one for all these new names that are out there.

And you never know, by March dil might have changed her mind.

The other name they were thinking of was Phoenix.

If it was a boy the choices were Kayden or Slade.

I prefer Fallon to Phoenix. Phoenix? Seriously? :001_huh:

Fallon is better than Phoenix :D and IMHO a baby girl named Fallon much better than a baby boy named Kayden. My immediate thought was the song A Boy Named Sue. I can see Kayden being shortened to Kay. ;)

My daughter's name is Fallon. (Rhymes with 'gallon', so different from the poster who knows someone with a 'fowl' pronounciation.) Sometimes people mispronounce it (usually to 'fail-in), but I've yet to hear any name that people can't find a way to butcher! Mostly we get complimented on it, and we've yet to run into another child with that name. We love it! Suits her perfectly. :D And we never told a single soul what her name was before she was born, so we didn't have to listen to the critics. People are happy to insult your choices when the baby hasn't been born, but not so quick to pull a face when they're looking at the little bundle at the time. ;)

I would be offended if a grandparent tried to call my child by a nickname in order to avoid the name I gave them. I've had this happen. One grandmother exclaimed that the first name of one of my children was "Jewish!" and there after called the child by his middle name. Thing is, both names came from Scripture, both names are technically "Jewish", and so were the names of his older siblings.

I think the name will grow on you, give it time. My dad did not like the name Abigail (Abby) Grace when we first told him that is what we were naming baby girl. He said it was to old fashion, why we name a baby that.... i told him I wanted a southern name, Abigail and Grace is dh grandmother's name. He told me later that it did grow on him and can't see her by any other name.

Fallon is, I believe, a fairly common Irish first name. I remember several characters on UK shows over the years named Fallon, including a very nice Fallon in The Archers (a very long-running radio soap opera, set in a rural English village). If it were me, I would NOT spell it "Fallan", though it's pronounced that way to my US ears; better to keep the original Irish.

It sounded Irish to me too. Here's what a baby name site has to say:

The girl's name Fallon \f(al)-lon\ is pronounced FAL-en. It is of Irish and Gaelic origin, and the meaning of Fallon is "superiority; descended from a ruler". From the Gaelic word "follamhnus". May also be a transformation of the English name Fuller, an occupational surname for a textile worker.

Fallon has 4 variant forms: Faline, Fallan, Fallen and Fallyn.

Baby names that sound like Fallon are Fayline, Faeleen, Valyn, Valen and Vallonia.

Fallon is a somewhat common first name for women (#2127 out of 4276) and an even more common last name for both men and women (#3613 out of 88799). (1990 U.S. Census)

I really like the name with the spelling Fallyn.

I don't suggest coming up with a nickname (unless it's a pet name, like sweetpea, etc.). My ex mil decided to call my firstborn son a nickname made up of a combination of her parents names. She took the first three letters of her father's name (Ash) and combined it with the first two letters of her mother's name (Lu). Yes, that's right, she called him Ashlu (Ashloo). She expected everyone else to call him that, too. I HATED it and told my ex to tell her to stop so the baby wouldn't think that's his name. Luckily, no one else picked it up, and it didn't stick.

We found out yesterday that our ds (well my step son), and his wife are going to be having a girl.

The name they have chosen is:

Fallan Cynthia

Fallon was the name of the main male character in an old romance novel, so....that is what I think of and therefore it sounds like a boy name to me, which is probably pretty silly.

It's probably not one I'd pick, but I don't feel like I get to have an opinion about what other people name their babies. Part of this, I'm sure, stems from watching my sister with her in-laws when sis and bil had their first baby. Sis and bil had picked out a perfectly nice name (the one my nephew wound up with) but bil's parents evidently didn't care for it. Someone asked sis what name they'd picked shortly before the baby was born and her MIL piped up with "Oh, we haven't decided yet". The look on my sister's face was enough to put me off saying anything but, "Oh what a nice name" for the rest of my life. I know it strained their relationship for a while after that. Especially the "we", as if it were their baby. But I think bil's parents have had a hard time in other ways acknowledging that their son is a grown-up man with a family of his own and not a little boy playing house in the back yard. They seem to think they have a say in everything from what kind of furniture sis buys to where their grandkids go to school. That kind of "input" from in-laws would drive me nuts. Anyway, so that's just me. I'm a smile and nod kind of person when it comes to baby names that have already been picked.

I like it. I also like Phoenix, Kayden, and Slade, though Slade is my least favorite. My ds has a friend named Caden (pronounced Kay-den)--it has never been shortened to Kay, and suits him just fine. I also know of a young couple who named their baby daughter Phoenix, and that's just fine as well.

The worst name I have ever heard of: My in-laws have friends whose grandson was named Demon. Yes, truly--"demon," like an evil spirit. For his first birthday party they did a demon theme, with pictures and toys of little red devils and pitchforks everywhere. What a heritage for that poor child!

I like it. I also like Phoenix, Kayden, and Slade, though Slade is my least favorite. My ds has a friend named Caden (pronounced Kay-den)--it has never been shortened to Kay, and suits him just fine. I also know of a young couple who named their baby daughter Phoenix, and that's just fine as well.

The worst name I have ever heard of: My in-laws have friends whose grandson was named Demon. Yes, truly--"demon," like an evil spirit. For his first birthday party they did a demon theme, with pictures and toys of little red devils and pitchforks everywhere. What a heritage for that poor child!

That's terrible!

Not a fan of Fallan. It looks like Fallen. However, I like traditional names.

But it's not Fallon, it's Fallan

Fallan sounds and looks like fallen to me.

I promise I won't give her any nicknames or try to shorten the name.

Nicknames really will depend on the parents preference. My mom always hated nicknames but I ended up with a hideous horrible nickname my dad gave me. It stuck until the day I left home.

Even though I had a hideous horrible experience with a family nickname I still ended up loving Chuck and Chucki. Dd has a nickname and I really don't have a problem with them in general. (Its a wonder considering.)

I did think of one just in case. Lanny (rhymes with nanny) It is cute, feminine and based on the last three letters of her name.

This might be potty-mind on my part, but the first thing I thought of when I read Fallon was a not-so-nice nickname she could be called when she's older - get rid of the "on" and put an "us" sound at the end. The taunts that could go along with that would not be pleasant.

I think it is the spelling. Caden lends itself to being shortened to Cade.

I don't think it really matters whether any of us like or dislike the name. Because it is your stepson and his wife's decision. I think it would be considerate to check with them before "giving a nickname". Just because you don't like the name they have chosen for their daughter doesn't mean it is necessary for you to come up with a nickname.

:iagree:

This is the exact reason we haven't shared what our soon to arrive baby name will be. The worst is seeing someone try to show on their face that they don't dislike the name you chose. The reason it is chosen is because it is special and beautiful to them, the same way others felt when they chose the names of their own children. After dd5 and I got out of the hospital after birth, the first thing my sil said was that she didn't like her name. Not how were we doing, or was dd okay (because she wasn't breathing at first and had to be resuscitated). That really appalled me and to this day we don't have a great relationship.

Oh. My.

I knew a girl once who nicknamed her kids "Lucifer" "Satan" and "Demona" :blink: I can't imagine *why* we didn't become close friends. :rolleyes:

My FIL called my oldest by a shortened form of her middle name for a couple years because he didn't like her name. It's Alissa, so not exactly horrid. He eventually started using her first name when he decided it suited her after all. FIL was very rude about stuff like that though.

I think Fallon is a better spelling, but everyone tweaks with spelling nowadays. Otherwise I like the name and there won't be 5 other girls with it. My second dd always has at least one other girl with her name in whatever group she's in.

Phoenix for a girl? I like that name, but the only Phoenix I know is a boy. I didn't think of it as gender neutral.

Kayden I rather like. Slade sounds like a character in a grade B vampire movie or a rock band.