Menu

Anyone have a favorite book to recommend on the Steiner/Waldorf method?

mazakaal

I've moved to a new area and met some new homeschoolers here. Most of them seem to be trying to employ the Steiner method for their homeschool. I'd like to get a book on it to have some idea of what they're doing. I've read what I can find on-line about the philosophy and wouldn't want to switch to it entirely, but maybe there are some nuggets that I could find to integrate into our schooling. Even if it's not for me, I'd still like to understand it so I can converse with these other moms.

Two popular books are "Heaven on Earth" by Sharifa Oppenheimer http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heaven-Earth-Handbook-Parents-Children/dp/0880105666/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1287602766&sr=8-1-spell

and "Beyond the Rainbow Bridge" by Barbara Patterson http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Rainbow-Bridge-Nurturing-children/dp/0964783231/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287602894&sr=1-1

As you will have probably already have found out there is no small amount of controversy surrounding some of Steiner's methods and philosophy. However, I do find a lot of positives too and we have incorporated a lot of those into our homeschooling. ie limiting media, focus on natural products, focus on seasons, daily rhythms, etc.

I really appreciated the overview published by Christopherus. It is extremely expensive (most Waldorf resources are) but it explains the method grade by grade and subject by subject. I don't think you would be able to get this from the library so it probably isn't what you are looking for but I thought I would mention that it was a help to me. :001_smile:

My Waldorf page on my blog has links to tons of good resources online.

Waldorf is something that you come to in little parts. You may start doing some of the crafts or artwork or stories with your kids and then a few years later come across another resource or person or idea and delve in deeper. I'm finding that listening to Steiner is very interesting. His books look boring but he is so funny. I don't know how many times, I've laughed out loud while working out at the gym while listening to Steiner.

It is a wonderful method. Lots of great ideas. But some are a little out there.

Hope this helps.:001_smile: