Menu

Thank you! to whoever asked about forcing kids outside to play.

My kids have always been pretty intermittent in how frequently they go out to play. The weather is frequently bad and even if it's nice, they say that there is nothing to do. In our last house there really wasn't much for them to do so I never forced the issue. Now we have a great big garden, but the kids still don't go out a lot.

After reading that post a couple of weeks ago, I started forcing them out for about an hour a day. It's been great! It took threats of no movies or computer at first, but they went. Now they usually drag their feet about going out, but they do go and they find things to do. I get some peace and quiet, and they get exercise and fresh air. Yea!:D

We have the opposite problem here. We used to live in the country with plenty of room. My kids loved the outside so much that we would eat and school outside on good days.

Now we are in the city. Not much of a yard, crowded neighbourhood, I miss my privacy, and I would worry too much letting the pre K and under out without my being. right. there. We try to go to the park every week to every other week. The kids get cabin fever. It was also easier to keep the house clean when they could all just go outside and leave me to clean.

When my kids start to atrophy during school I throw them outside and make them either run laps around the house or run to the end of the driveway. They love it and it wakes them right back up again!

Chores and taking care of our outside animals are part of our life-my daughter has a horse that she can catch and ride bareback for a few minutes whenever the mood strikes her.

That said, sometimes in January I do just have to force them out but they always come up with something to do out there even if it's just jumping on the trampoline with the goat! :D It's good for everyone and I always try to have a snack and hot chocolate waiting for them when we resume school-it sets a good mood for all of us.

My kids would rather be inside, too, but I force them to play outside. Sometimes they all just press their pathetic little faces on the sliding glass door so I'll feel sorry for them and let them in. But, good grief, it's beautiful outside, they have bikes, a fort, scooters and dirt and shovels. It is not torture and they need the fresh air and freedom to scream their little lungs out without Mommy saying, "Inside voices please!" :D

If you let part of your yard go wild and have critters in it, they might have a better time out there and learn more, too. We did that and became the homeschooling fun yard--everyone wanted to come to our house. There were native plants over kids' heads, just enough veggies to feel like foraging but not enough to make you be too careful, permission to build hills and valley and make waterways, no restrictions on hose use or mud, lizards, and a newt colony that we established from tadpoles.

If you let part of your yard go wild and have critters in it, they might have a better time out there and learn more, too. We did that and became the homeschooling fun yard--everyone wanted to come to our house. There were native plants over kids' heads, just enough veggies to feel like foraging but not enough to make you be too careful, permission to build hills and valley and make waterways, no restrictions on hose use or mud, lizards, and a newt colony that we established from tadpoles.

I like this idea, but I'm not sure how our landlords would feel about it. ;) Maybe I'll try to make a corner of the garden set aside for the kids.

We have the opposite problem here. We used to live in the country with plenty of room. My kids loved the outside so much that we would eat and school outside on good days.

Now we are in the city. Not much of a yard, crowded neighbourhood, I miss my privacy, and I would worry too much letting the pre K and under out without my being. right. there. We try to go to the park every week to every other week. The kids get cabin fever. It was also easier to keep the house clean when they could all just go outside and leave me to clean.

I'm so sorry. That's no fun.