Menu

simply spelling

mytwomonkeys

We started using this in August, and we are still liking it. I am not using it as our only spelling though. I bought R&S and CLE spelling (depending on the child) to go along with it, not because it isn't complete, but my kids needed more word study.

They write the lesson daily as handwriting and then I test them on the 5th day with dictation (obviously studied). It really doesn't seem like spelling at all.

I use Spelling Wisdom, which is very similiar, for my older girls.

If you have any specific questions about it just let me know.

We are still using it, but both of mine are TERRIBLE spellers, so this approach was a little too intuitive. They really need all the rules presented to them systematically and clearly, so we are using this more as copywork and a way to review what they've learned. My 4th grader uses level B of this combined with Megawords 1, and I really consider Megawords to be his spelling program, and the Simply Spelling I consider to be copywork and a way to review/solidify concepts (not just spelling, but also punctuation, capitalization, etc.). My 3rd grader is using Level A of Simply Spelling in the same manner, and is working through Apples and Pears as well.

thank you both! i found it used for a great price, so i bought it. i love the idea of spelling being more than a just a list of words. my little girl can currently memorize words for a "test", but will misspell those same words in sentences. i thought simply spelling could help alleviate that. we are currently using the super teacher worksheets level C spelling lists (which she actually loves!), but i don't think she's growing with it. plus, they have no spelling rules listed. in doing some research, i came across simply spelling. i love that it uses dictation to teach the words and includes spelling rules (which is why i leaned more toward this program than spelling wisdom). we also own megawords 1, so i could use that alongside simply spelling as well. is that too much though? do you use both programs daily? how do you schedule those in your week??? thank you again!:)

I am using Phonics Road for our main spelling program, but I use Simply Spelling for copywork, dictation, memory work and review of capitalization and puncuation practice for my 5th grader. She enjoys it and it's mostly independent, which I like! It's one of the things that will stay on my shelf to be used for all the kiddo's at one time or another!

We do both daily but it is not too much. My 3rd and 4th graders are using R&S so they do one section a day for three days, sentences the fourth day, and then a test the fifth day. They write out the passage from Simply Spelling daily and then do a test on the 5th day. It hasn't been too much for us. How old of a child are we talking about? My third grader is using level A and my fourth grader is using level B. I hope this helps.

okay. thanks again! i had her do megawords today & she loved it! i think i will use that alongside simply spelling (when it arrives). i had planned to use it in 4th grade, but it seems very appropriate for her now.

plus, she also does WWE 2, which has dictation as well...so with all of this....wow! she should be a great speller before long, lol. oh. we also played a peggy kaye game today (games for writing). it was called the silent game & neither of us could talk, only write to one another. this was very helpful and gave me a lot of insight into her spelling/writing...so we'll do some more of those games for sure. plus... she loved it!! :)