Menu

How could my dog possibly be doing this?

We have 1 1/2 year old lab. She has always been put in the crate (although it is more like a cage type) when we leave the house. We used to have a beagle as well, who recently went to live with another family who had a yard and family more suited for her. They were always put in their crates, which are in the garage, whenever we leave. The lab never had a problem, but we could always hear the beagle howling for several minutes until she would quiet down.

Now that the beagle has been gone for about two weeks, we have continued to put the Lab in the crate, even though she is one of those near perfect dogs and I do think I could probably trust her in the house. I am just afraid to try it.

Last week we were gone several hours one day, about six hours. We came home to find the dog in the house, running loose. She was happy to see us and had not done any damage. The garage door to the house was open AND her cage was still locked!!!! We were flabbergasted. We thought perhaps DH had not actually locked both locks on the crate and she got out somehow and perhaps the garage door was not shut all of the way, so she was able to push it out. Didn't really explain the locked cage but we didn't give it much thought after all of the hubbub died down.

So today, again we were gone about 8 hours. Came home, and again she was running loose in the house. Her cage was LOCKED! Both latches. We understand the garage door part now, after realizing the handle is not a knob but one handle that you push down, so she probably pushed down with paws in her jumping on the door and the door open. But how in the world is she getting out of the crate!?!?!? We tried to lift it up to see if that was any option but it is a very heavy duty cage and not easy for my DH to even lift, plus it has a bottom to it. I can just not figure this out!! BTW, today I put her in the crate, and made sure to lock both locks, and jiggled them to make sure they were in place securely.

Any ideas? BTW, this is very similiar the crate we have for her, which has two latches on the door.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3548958&lmdn=Pet+Size&ab=pt_crates_large

Thankfully, it looks like she can be trusted to we will probably forgo the crating anyway, but still, this is just crazy!!!

If she's anything like our spaniel, he can stretch the door (or sometimes even one of the sides) open enough to squeeze out. He needs only the smallest crack...and the door pops back in place. It's got to be painful but once they learn how to do it...wow.

Our dog even does this with elastic cables in place. We don't bother with crates anymore. We were betting on how many minutes it would take him to break out.

If she's anything like our spaniel, he can stretch the door (or sometimes even one of the sides) open enough to squeeze out. He needs only the smallest crack...and the door pops back in place. It's got to be painful but once they learn how to do it...wow.

Our dog even does this with elastic cables in place. We don't bother with crates anymore. We were betting on how many minutes it would take him to break out.

Yep! I had a black lab who would do this! She would escape fence gates too. They are smart and very social too. Forget the crate....and enjoy a great dog!

:lol::lol::lol:what a SMART dog to lock the cage after he let himself out. :lol::lol::lol: I clicked on the link to see the cage and I read a few of the reviews. Other people are having the same problems with the dogs getting out. If you really need to dog to be crated, I'd buy some thin chains and use a lock. He couldn't get through those. I just think it's hysterical that he closes and locks the door when he's out, and THEN opens the door to the house! Train him to close the door once he gets in. :biggrinjester:

Our pony kept breaking into the barn, and then he'd open up ALL the doors so the other horse and llamas could come in and they could have a grain party. One night they ate over 100 pounds of grain and my horse could barely move. I had to walk that horse for HOURS trying to get it to........ get some of that food out!!! We bought heavy duty chains and locks and moved the grain to the hayloft. They pony got in when we didn't use the chains and lock, and would you believe that TWICE now he's tried to climb the stairs to get to the hayloft? He's gotten stuck halfway up both times.:lol:

We have that crate and a lab. One time we took it to a different location and when my dh set it up, he didn't properly latch one of the sides where it connects to the top. Not the door parts, just the full side. It looked fine from a distance though. Two days later she figured out how to get out. But, she didn't prop it back up, that is pretty surprising. If you have double checked all the sides of the crate, I would set up a camcorder.... you'll find out what's happening and maybe you can submit it to America's Funniest Videos and make some $$!

Wow, we just watched that YouTube video...had NO idea dogs could do that! Thinking she must be doing something similiar.

Camcorder is charging tonight, going to be setting up a little survelliance tomorrow, because now we just have to know how she is doing it.

I'll let ya know!

We had a Westie that we would gate in the kitchen when we left the house. The gates were those expandable mesh baby gates. We started finding her upstairs when we got home. So we put the gates up, put her in the kitchen and then ignored her (while watching out of the corners of our eyes) She went up to the gate, which was tall for her height, and would stand on her hind legs and put her chin on the top of the gate. It was too tall for her to put her front paws on top. She would use her chin to steady herself and then start climbing the gate like a ladder with her back paws and then over the top! It was hilarious to watch :001_smile: We just raised the gate a couple of inches and she couldn't get her chin on it.

Mary

One suggestion...don't get rid of the crate altogether...just leave the door open, since it sounds like your dog is trustworthy. It is nice for them to have their "own" spot to decompress once in awhile. Ours uses hers only a few times a year, but it sure keeps her stress level down for those times when she needs it.

BTW, I'm in love with your dog from afar!

Okay, so we figured it out. The cage has a small opening on the bottom front that is to be used to slide out the plastic crate liner for cleaning purposes. It is seriously about 1 1/2 inches tall...she has bent the frame to add about another 2 inches to the opening in one spot. It's still unreal how she fit through there. She lays on her side and pushes her head through, and then scrambles, pushes and pulls her body through until she pops out.

Left the house to go the park, and set up the video camera. DH was working from home today, so he said after about an hour, he heard her making alot of noise, and then she was in the house (he's on the phone, not able to leave desk at that time). Unfortunately camera died so we didn't get anything but the first 30 minutes. :(. So now, because I HAD to know, I put her back in crate, set up camera again, this time plugged in and started rolling. This time she was only in the crate for about 15 minutes before she was back in the house.

Couldn't get the angle so we could see her open the garage door to the house, but we pretty much figured that out anyway, since it is a handle, not a knob, that you just push down...so apparently she has that figured out.