Menu

Mom brag: My violently reluctant writer (X-post)

And when I say violently reluctant, I am not exaggerating. When we pulled him out of school at the end of 3rd grade he would rather stab you with a pencil than make marks on paper with it--and would try valiantly to do just that. His public school teachers (and technicians and therapists and administrative staff and psychologist) had been trying since kindergarten to get this child to write. He's a super bright boy, but he has sensory issues (the feel of the pencil on the paper), coordination issues and communication issues related to his Asperger's Syndrome that just really have made writing an absolute nightmare for him and for anyone else involved. So we've been working at both the ingrained negative attitude and the actual skill of composition, and various ways of getting information down on paper such as writing, typing, dictating to a scribe, etc.

So, when I post this paragraph you might not think it such a big deal for an 8th grader, but believe you me, this has been a loooong time coming. And what I really love about it is that all I told him to do was to "make a notebook page" about his science reading assignment--which usually results in a single sentence very broadly summarizing the assigned topic, along the lines of, "Americans and Soviets sent spacecraft into space." He can TELL you about what he read at length and in nauseating detail, but to actually WRITE it is something else entirely. (I usually give a more detailed assignment but I didn't have the 'umph' today to work through the negotiations I knew would begin if I asked for an outline.)

Anyway, here's what he cranked out today, and I just had to tell SOMEBODY about it because I find it so exciting. (Please no posts about how dumb it is for me to get worked up over this.)

Here it is. Ta-dah!

Space Exploration

On October 4, 1957, the Soviet Union announced the successful launch of Sputnik 1 into orbit. On November 3, 1957, the Soviet Union launched the Sputnik 2, which contained a dog named Laika. Laika had no means to return to Earth and was to die in orbit. On January 31, 1958, the first US satellite, the Explorer 1 successfully made it into orbit. The first time anyone landed on the moon wasn’t until July 20, 1969. The Apollo 11, containing Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins, was the first spacecraft to land on the moon. The Apollo 17, which landed on the moon on December 11, 1972, was the last one.

It's accompanied by a very nice photograph of an astronaut walking on the moon, which he tells me (but didn't want to type) was taken from the Apollo 11 lander.

:party:

I replied on another board, but this is certainly deserving of one more hip hip hooray! Having struggled with dd's dysgraphia -- different in form from your son's but still very very problematic -- I know what both of you have gone through and am so happy for you!