Menu

Disney World here we come....any last minute suggestions?

We're headed off to WDW! Yea...our first time. My dh and I visited Disney Land years ago. Now with our 11 1/2 year old dd, we are headed south to the sunshine state. Oct going into November, here's our schedule. We're staying at the Lake Buena Vista Village Resort and Spa.

Sat night - St. Augustine. We'll visit this old city Sunday. We could spend the night here again OR drive close to Orlando and spend the night anywhere close. Either way, we get to Disney...

Monday - Friday.....visiting one different park a day. No park hopping.

Monday - because we are checking in we will not have a FULL day at the park.

Tuesday - we sit in on a presentation. This is our budget deal for our lodging. It's worth it, but it will again not be a FULL day b/c of this.

Wednesday - FULL day

Thursday - FULL day

Friday - checking out. We may hang around FL that day and return home Sat or leave Friday and return home Friday.

My dd has controlled epilepsy.....so for us to be at parks from 8 am - 11 pm is OUT OF THE QUESTION. She'll need her rest for the next day and even more so. Her daddy and I will need our shut eye too. :D With that in mind, I bought the unofficial guide for kids for us to use and a kids book for kids for her. She'll choose 5-7 rides for EACH PARK. I'm hoping by this we'll target those rides that are most interesting to her and find them on the map and off we go. Is this reasonable?

Questions:

1. Regarding M/T short days, which parks would you recommend? Easy to navigate and maybe not as much to see/do as others so we could more easily get in and out on these 2 restricted days.

2. What 2 parks would you choose for FULL days?

3. Which restaurants would you recommend at each park? Keep in mind we are frugal and will be taking in our bottled water, lunches and snacks. We'll have breakfast at the condo. So, one meal probably dinner eaten out (most expensive meal of the day though...bummer).

4. Is it better to do it all and leave early to enjoy resort pool OR go to parks, take a long break and then go back?

5. Sunscreen?

The condo has a fully equipped kitchen so we'll save a little there. I would like for us to enjoy the pool etc.

Any suggestions? Thanks. Sheryl <><

For your 1/2 days, I would do MGM (I dont even know what it is called anymore-maybe Hollywood studios) AND Epcot since your child is so young, or animal kingdom if you think your child would enjoy Epcot more. Epcot is very educational with all of the countries, but not a ton of rides.

Animal Kingdom gets hot quick .

Yes, you definately need sunscreen!!!!

I would do it all without a break and then leave when you are finished, as you might not make it back if you leave.

I would def. do Magic Kingdom for the full day as it is nearly impossible to do it all on a good day. :) And your child will love that one the most anyway.

I would preplan now what rides she wants to do and try to get fast passes for the famous ones. Like Peter Pan. That line is forever.

You will need a vacation when you get back no matter what since they are long days. Make sure that you have comfy shoes, and watch the weather.

Have fun!!!

1. Regarding M/T short days, which parks would you recommend? Easy to navigate and maybe not as much to see/do as others so we could more easily get in and out on these 2 restricted days.

2. What 2 parks would you choose for FULL days?

3. Which restaurants would you recommend at each park? Keep in mind we are frugal and will be taking in our bottled water, lunches and snacks. We'll have breakfast at the condo. So, one meal probably dinner eaten out (most expensive meal of the day though...bummer).

4. Is it better to do it all and leave early to enjoy resort pool OR go to parks, take a long break and then go back?

5. Sunscreen?

The condo has a fully equipped kitchen so we'll save a little there. I would like for us to enjoy the pool etc.

Any suggestions? Thanks. Sheryl <><

1/2 day parks for us are Disney Studios and Animal Kingdom. OR we find Epcot is best in small doses so do Epcot on your 1/2 days. We always hop so we do 1/2 day Studios, 1/2 day Epcot and then 1/2 day Animal Kingdom and 1/2 day Epcot.

We've done it all day for a while now. My youngest is now 10. He was 8 last time we went. Find shows and other indoor things when you need a sit down break. Sunscreen is an absolute must for us.

Restaurants: It's really up to what you like and how much you are willing to spend. If the sky is the limit, then eat at Rain Forest in Animal Kingdom and Coral Reef in Epcot. If you have to pick one of those, Rain Forest all the way! We don't have a favorite at Magic Kingdom or MGM. All the quick service places will be about the same price for lunch or dinner. Often the servings are big enough that you can share entrees.

Have a great time!!

OK, thanks for those tips. That's kind of what I was thinking.

Mon/Tue - Epcot 1/2 day AND Hollywood 1/2 day

Wed/Th - Animal AND Magic

Perhaps we'll buy the 5 day plan vs the 4 day and go back Friday for a bit. Leave early and explore a little bit of FL. Head home late Friday and spend night on way home OR spend night in FL and leave to come home by Sat.

Yea then all the wash and unpacking on Sunday.....vacation??!! :lol:

What fun!!!! I love vacations. Especially Disney.

We like all the parks for full days! But if we had to choose, our half days would be Disney Studios and Animal Kingdom (only because it feels small).

Food - our favorites are: Boma (our family favorite), Whispering Canyon (not for the food, for the experience), Le Cellier (try for lunch - my sister got in for lunch one day without reservations), and Coral Reef (LOVE this place!!! Epcot). There are more, but I can't remember right now.

HAVE FUN!!!!!! Tell Mickey and Minnie that we'll be there in January to see them. Meg is looking forward to lunch with Cinderella - tell her we say hi too!!

Gingersmom..that is great to know. However, my dd (thanking God) is seizure free...she has controlled epilepsy. So, I wouldn't feel comfortable "using" that to get to the front. However, that IS a great service for the truly needy. Thanks for sharing that.

Oh Jennifer, Hi. I was going to add your name to my title line and forgot. I knew the "other" Mrs. Disney :D would have some good points.

Thanks for the restaurant critiques. I'll print off to highlight in my book aka Disney manual aka WDW survival guide book :lol:. On my list is to buy a relatively new pair of "budget" shoes for all of us. But, 2 pairs hmm that's a BETTER idea. And, another reason to buy more shoes. :tongue_smilie: OK, the Disney bug has bit me and can't wait to get there.

UPDATE:

Question....can you "refill" bottles with water? Are there water fountains?

Also, I called too late for Chef Mickey....bummer. She suggested we try "as time permits" to inquire about "walk up" status/availability.

Jennifer, I just got home from my walk and thought about THE SHOES. Do you cross trainers, running, walking or other shoes? I'm curious which ones to get.

Have a good time!

We just got home last week and will go again next month. We took the "big" kids on a special trip to Universal to see the new Harry Potter World and then did 3 days at Disney.

It was so crowded due to Columbus Day weekend. Ugh. We're not used to that! We go during the off times---always!

We got stuck on Pirates of the Caribbean and spent 45 minutes trapped in the boat in front of Jack Sparrow singing, "Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho." Then we had to evacuate the ride.

There are water fountains in the parks. I take my running shoes, a pair of walking sandals, and a pair of flip-flops for the pool. I do what Jennifer does and alternate. It works pretty well, but your feet will still be really tired at the end of the day!

Oh Jennifer, Hi. I was going to add your name to my title line and forgot. I knew the "other" Mrs. Disney :D would have some good points.

Thanks for the restaurant critiques. I'll print off to highlight in my book aka Disney manual aka WDW survival guide book :lol:. On my list is to buy a relatively new pair of "budget" shoes for all of us. But, 2 pairs hmm that's a BETTER idea. And, another reason to buy more shoes. :tongue_smilie: OK, the Disney bug has bit me and can't wait to get there.

UPDATE:

Question....can you "refill" bottles with water? Are there water fountains?

Also, I called too late for Chef Mickey....bummer. She suggested we try "as time permits" to inquire about "walk up" status/availability.

Jennifer, I just got home from my walk and thought about THE SHOES. Do you cross trainers, running, walking or other shoes? I'm curious which ones to get.

Water fountains - YES!!! There are plenty. We take in a few empty water bottles and re-fill. We also carry in snacks. Even when we have the dining plan - we carry in some food. Small stuff - nuts. Cheerios. Stuff like that.

Chef Mickey- we thought it was okay. It took away from time at the park. So, save it for another time when you have more time.

I alternated. When it was chilly- I wore my old running shoes. Warm - I wore my Ecco sandals or my Crocs. One day, I wore my Crocs with socks. (This was after I ran the Disney half marathon and I was NOT putting my running shoes back on to go to the parks!! LOL)

I'm LOL about Mrs. Disney!!! I just love this place!!!! We go when it's cheap and have a great time!!!!!

I suggest you take me with you as your own personal Disney tour guide.

I think you'll need a full day in EPCOT. It's the Food and Wine Festival, you can eat your way around the world!

:lol: Last year, my sister and I joked that we drank our way around the world!!!! (Actually, we split three drinks - a margarita in Mexico, a beer in England and something else, I can't remember!!) But, all of that combined made Soarin' a REALLY fun ride!!!!!!

FitFlops are my Disney shoes. They even sell a couple different pairs in the parks, with Mickeys silouettes on them. No blisters, and while my feet still get tired, they don't truly hurt. Well, until after Day 8. We just did 10 days in Disney earlier this month, and I was done after Day 8.

There are water fountains in the parks, but most of the ones I tried were WARM, not good for refilling. We had the dining plan, so we just used our snack credits on bottled water when we needed.

Animal Kingdom should be one of your half days, there is less to do there. I'd say Hollywood Studios for the other half day, but if your half day isn't the first half, you're going to miss out on the Toy Story ride, because the line will be too long, and the fastpasses will be gone. Don't know if you're planning on doing the other two big rides there, but those can get long lines too (although not as long as toy story) depending on the day. But then again, I usually refuse to wait in a line that's longer than 15 minutes too.

Oh, and I know people usually think "rides" when they think of going to an amusement park, but don't miss the shows. Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios both have great shows, but if I had to pick just one show at each park, I'd pick Festival of the Lion King at AK, and Beauty and the Beast at HS.

Epcot and Magic Kingdom both should have at least two full days each, so you're really going to have to pick and choose there. If you plan on going on Soarin' in Epcot, getting fastpasses for it should be your first priority after you enter the park. Test Track can also be a long line, so get a fastpass for it later too (it says at the bottom of your fastpass ticket when you can get another one). Spaceship Earth is a good time filler as there is usually little to no wait. Oh, and I found out that if my back hurts or is tired, that it usually feels a lot better after going on Mission Space! (On the more intense, or orange, ride anyway.) Heh. Also, a lot of people don't seem to realize that there are rides in Mexico and Norway.

Magic Kingdom... well you were already told to get fastpasses for Peter Pan. If you want to go on any of the Mountains (Space, Big Thunder, Splash) a fastpass is usually a good idea for those too. You might need a fastpass for Buzz, too. Pirates of the Caribbean is usually good to go on if the lines for other rides are too long, and sometimes Haunted Mansion. If you just need to sit down and relax for a few minutes, then we like the Peoplemover, and if you just want to sit down in some air conditioning for a while, then we like the Carousel of Progress, Mickey's Philharmagic, or Hall of Presidents, in that order.

Well, I could go on, but I won't. Have fun!

You can get FREE cups of ice water (filtered) at any food location that has a soda fountain (which means anything except the little carts). You don't need to buy anything, just ask for the water :)

Get a fastpass for whatever "big" (ie popular) ride your daughter wants to ride, then go ride something else. At the bottom of the fastpass, there will be a time when you can get another set of fastpasses. You DO NOT have to use the first fastpass before getting the second!

My main tip----be there when the park opens! Enjoy the little show for the park opening, grab a set of fastpasses, ride another "big" ride-----------you will be way ahead of all those people who think sleeping in and waiting in long lines is the only way to do Disney. The fun with Disney is enjoying the non-crowded mornings, then leaving for a nice long swim/nap/chill break, returning back to the park for the fireworks or shows.

Jennifer, Thanks again. Originally when I posted several months ago we were going to do 2-3 days and now we're doing 4, maybe part of a 5th day and it still doesn't seem like enough.

KarenC....funny. Yes, tag along. :lol:

Ellyndria....good info...will keep it. Thanks.

Are the fast passes free? And, how do you go about getting them? What's the process?

Yes, free. You just insert your park passes into the fast-pass machines, which are stationed in front of the attractions/rides that offer fast-pass, and they will give you a ticket stating the time to return.

There is a special line just for those holding fast-passes, and generally, you're able to get on the ride with minimal wait-time.

Some rides will actually run out of fast-passes on a particularly busy day---Soarin', Toy Story Mania, being two that we experienced this with.

ETA: You need to put a pass in for each member of your party.

Have fun!

OK, thanks for those tips. That's kind of what I was thinking.

Mon/Tue - Epcot 1/2 day AND Hollywood 1/2 day

Wed/Th - Animal AND Magic

Perhaps we'll buy the 5 day plan vs the 4 day and go back Friday for a bit. Leave early and explore a little bit of FL. Head home late Friday and spend night on way home OR spend night in FL and leave to come home by Sat.

Yea then all the wash and unpacking on Sunday.....vacation??!! :lol:

Note: I was at Animal Kingdom the year it opened. But there was not enough there to do to last an entire day.

I think you could easily do Disney Studios and Epcot in half days. I'd give Animal Kingdom and of course the Magic Kingdom full days. Use fast pass tickets for rides that are busy when you go.

There are many good places to eat. We generally eat at the diner in Tomorrow Land when at the Magic Kingdom. Epcot has many good places but all are pricey and most require reservations. There is a food court in the Land Exhibit area that has some good choices for families. We ate outdoors at a barbecue place that was good at the Animal Kingdom....

Why not make lunch your main meal and eat lighter at dinner to save money?

Sunscreen is definitely needed! Have fun! We love Disney!

Don't wear new shoes at Disney or you'll end up with blisters. Wear your comfy, fit your feet tennis shoes!

We went in February. All of my kids LOVED Epcot the best, especially soaring, getting all the passport stamps, the mission space ride, and the big ball ride that takes you back in time and into the future. We also loved Hollywood Studios. Surprisingly, Magic Kingdom was not anyone's favorite. MK will take the most energy. It has the most rides and waiting in lines. Epcot and HS can be broken up with shows or "show" type rides that have little/no wait and provide opportunities to relax.

We stayed open to close for all five days and ate out very little. We packed large water bottles (water faucets everywhere), tons of bags of nuts, dried fruit, slices of quesadillas or pizza, granola bars, whole grain crackers, etc. We snacked every three rides or so. Snacks helped a LOT with keeping everyone happy all day.

I do highly recommend a little place in France to eat, though. It's not the bigger place, it's tucked in a little bit. They had quiches, large cheese and cracker platters and amazing desserts. Everything was huge and the prices were great!